I propose removing revive to rework Mercy into an MMORPG styled main healer

Cause “revive is too broken for an MOBA FPS” apparently. And this comes from people who has never touched either game genres in any form.

HotS devs on Auriel’s resurrect basically amounted to “we can’t make it competitive even now.”
HotS devs on introducing mass resurrect to Whitemane basically amounted to “we scrapped it early on because we realized that Whitemane players were just hiding due to it.”

That’s a MOBA. :woman_shrugging:

I have no ten mile long posh of stats to back this up but literally the only reason I personally ever choose mercy is for her Rez. It’s kinda what keeps her in the Meta after complaints have hammered her into the ground.

If you want higher heal output, go Moira! But please, let us keep our damn Rez, blizzard.

Because Res on a CD is always going to be horrible in more ways than one.

4 Likes

Never implied that current mercy is ok, only that your proposal exacerbates the issues that she has always had. Her current shortcomings compared to other supports means that she needs more damage output, be it through boosting allies or shooting things directly.

1 Like

She doesn’t need to be, nor should she be, the only primary and main healer. Diversity is good and having 3-4 main healers is good for the game.

I personally would be fine with Moira or some other healer being the hero of the healer supports, however, I’m no longer fond of revive and would really like to see it gone regardless. Revive and Valkyrie are both powerful, but neither are things that I want to use, they are things I end up using despite not wanting to because they need to be used. So, regardless of which role Mercy ends up playing in the future I would like to see changes to her kit that makes me want to use the abilities. (And yes, I’m talking about pure enjoyment of playing the hero, and it is a very subjective view)

Go play literally any MOBA and you’ll see that every ability that revives yourself or others is an ultimate ability that only targets one person or an item that is difficult and dangerous to obtain, because someone coming back to life mid-fight is unbelievably strong and has an immediate swing on the game.

This was why Mass Rez was too strong and difficult to balance and E Rez is too strong and difficult to balance, they both fall too far to either end of the scale.

The only way to balance Rez AND retain a stronger kit for Mercy is to put it as an ult that only targets one person (two at the absolute maximum) and in return give Mercy back her old healing and a different E ability like Sovereign’s HoT idea.

3 Likes

excuse my bluntness but that’s pretty selfish, considering that Mercy has always had revive, she’s the only one who can and should have Rez as part of her kit, not as some add on but as a feature that balances her effective value in a team, if you cannot wrap your head around this simple idea then I’m afraid Mercy will never fit your playstyle again

That’s fine, I won’t re-install the game until I believe she’s fun to play and in the meantime I’ll play other games or engage in more social activities. Rez when it had instant cast was fine from a flow perspective (not commenting on power here, just flow and enjoyment) but when they gave it a cast-time it made Mercy’s kit clunky. I never found it difficult to get rez off, it just wasn’t an ability I wanted to use because it wasn’t fun to use. Mercy has always been about flow and mobility and suddenly it wasn’t anymore. Perhaps she will never be again, and that just means I’ll never play Overwatch again. And I am completely aware of this being a selfish wish, but ultimately everyone wants to have fun playing a game. Some just happen to find enjoyment and fun in a way that is more flexible to the game. That does not mean I can not continue to have selfish wishes in regards to the direction I hope the game will be moving, as long as I am willing to accept that I’m fighting an uphill battle.

4 Likes

Honestly, I like this.

1 Like

I don’t tend to tred near Mercy posts but this instantly grabbed my attention, and I really like the comparison to WoW here alongside actual descriptions and what not. This post is well constructed and I like it a lot. This mercy sounds very threatening if left unchecked, and she should be as well as a primary target with a big effect on the field. It encourages her being present, and actually sounds fun. I also really like the concept of Mercy keeping things from dying rather than being a necromancer lol.

2 Likes

How about blizz makes another hero that does that

1 Like

This sounds like a pretty good idea, especially as someone who mained healers in MMO’s in the past, although not WoW specifically, is why I was drawn to mercy so much to begin with.

I would still be upset to see revive go all together, and would just like mass revive back, but thats really just setting my hopes too high :stuck_out_tongue: This idea would atleast be much better than current mercy.

1 Like

While I am not necessarily against the idea … This is literally changing the core of Mercy’s design, her promotional art, her cosmetics, her POTG scenes - some of them won’t make sense anymore.
I am sure you know this.
I am just not sure if I am ready for this change, is all.

1 Like

A hero with zero utility is not very good design.

If revive were to be removed, I’d expect a utility ability to replace it similar to it, but functionally weaker, and more healing.

Also you’ve suggested abilities which contradict Mercy being a single target sustain healer. Adding burst and AOE to her healing nullifies other heroes, and I think would be far better spent in giving her better utility options (CC removal, pacifying people, granting damage reduction)

I usually agree with you, but a 100% pure healer with nothing else doesn’t have much value in this game.

someone already asked that and apparently blizz replied with something along the lines that they cant. i dont know the details and dont know if they actually cant or dont want to? but to me, a source meter for rez sounds awesome. another person also suggested that you’ll have to re-earn it if you die so it makes mercy players be more cautious of positioning and depending on what you do with the time (such as not waste time by keeping the heal beam on someone who’s full and focus damage boosting) you’ll be able to earn rez faster and be beneficial for the team i guess. I would like that to be implemented on mercy or if not, then remove rez and give her something else.

1 Like

Uh. What are you talking about? Mercy doesn’t have Mass resurrect anymore.

I was referring to single target res. Where you got Mass rez I have no idea. “Let me just slip this in real quick and hope no one will notice” or something?

2 Likes

you do know that so many mercy mains suggested something similar to what you said, right? lel. so many people suggested amazing things but the problem isnt what we suggest or what we think is good for mercy, the problem is that the developers refuse to tell us anything about mercy even when we think she can be in a better place and be better than her current rework that brings no joy to the person playing mercy. Yeah i still do have fun but the fun is always doubled or tripled when playing others now. i just think mercy has potential so why not give her a reasonable change that both, people playing mercy and people playing against mercy are content with?

I personally think blizzard needs to talk about this and not cower in fear about it, might as well resolve it and get it over with.

1 Like

There is a really easy way to give Mercy a more active play style while maintaining her Beam-centric gameplay. It already exists in some form on Symmetra and Zarya, and that is charge. Here’s what you do:

Remove revive. Mercy’s beam now gives her charge % based on health healed or damage boosted that fades over time after 3 seconds of not being charged. At max charge, the visual effects on her beams become brighter and more pronounced as a visual queue. Healing charges up from 50 hp/s at 0% charge up to 65 hp/s at 100% charge while damage boost charges up from 30% at 0% charge up to 40% at 100% charge.

Her new ability can be activated while at 100% charge to remove all charge and grant different effects on allies in an area of the beam target based on which beam is active with a 15 second cooldown:

Healing beam: Sets charge back to 0% and grants all allies in a 5m radius of the beam target a 15% damage reduction for 4 seconds.

Damage boost beam: Sets charge back to 0% and grants all allies in a 5m radius of the beam target a 15% damage boost for 4 seconds.

Now, Mercy has a reason to not pocket a single individual target but benefits more from bouncing around to different targets and choosing more carefully to avoid losing charge. It gives her a more active playstyle because, ideally, the more active you are, the more powerful you become through this new charge and ability. It provides a trade-off of keeping beam at high charge or expending it for a different benefit. It also synergizes with her ult as that will charge her faster and allow her to use her new ability on multiple targets at once. It doesn’t add more healing to the game (because honestly we don’t need more) but adds more utility to her and makes her more fun to play.

1 Like