My Mercy threads DID NOT want her to be "the best hero". I wanted her to be different

I don’t like the idea of Mercy being broken, in fact I was a widely outspoken opponent of the rework before and during the rework and now after the dust of the rework has settled.

I was not overly a fan of how she became a must-pick hero and I don’t think you can find a single person who can really deny that’s exactly what the rework made her.

But that’s what happened.

So I wanted mass revive back, because not only was it a more iconic ability but it also came from a time when most people wanted Mercy to have an ability on E such as temporary flight or perhaps a burst AOE heal. She was widely regarded as F-tier since release up until her rework as I indicated in a thread dedicated to finding old meta reports. Old Mercy was more balanced than post-rework Mercy.

Over time it became clear: mass revive never was going to come back.

So what did I start fighting for?

A rework. Remove revive. Outright DESTROY revive.

If such an ability is so insanely powerful that it demands the Lion’s share of her kit, remove it. Get rid of it. I no longer want it to be a part of my main. It’s become the weighed chain and ball dragging Mercy into the depths of the ocean.

I don’t want the chain of revive shackled around Mercy’s neck anymore.

I don’t think this means I want her to flat out be the best hero in the game. Because I don’t like that. Being the best hero in the game at any point in time brings huge amounts of stigma.

Heck, Doomfist was widely considered a throw pick since release and now he’s considered a good DPS right now (not even picked as often as Genji is) people HATE on him.

I don’t want that in my life. I don’t need that sort of hatred and unhappiness in my life. I don’t want her to be the best hero. But on the flip side, I want a hero who is fun and interactive and engaging to play.

I have a long legacy of playing dedicated support heroes and of any hero in the roster to date I only felt represented in Mercy and OLD Symmetra. So for me it’s not even “I want to be OP”, it’s … I can’t find the primary healer playstyle here outside of Mercy.

Like let’s spill the :tea:

It’s not fun to stun yourself for 2 seconds in a fast paced FPS styled game like Overwatch is. It’s not fun. It feels bad. We LITERALLY need to hide behind walls now to revive-- which was a widely spread (and mostly false outside of SR gain abuse) meme of pre-rework Mercy.

Like I see Echo and I feel hope that she might be a primary support because that’s the playstyle I want to play.

Outside of Mercy the pacifist primary support prototype isn’t represented. And to me support doesn’t even mean healing. Supporting can be damage mitigation (like ally X takes 50% less damage during nanoboost), restoration of energy, shielding allies either statically or temporarily, buffs to allies to give them lifesteal instead of me doing it for them, healing fields and domes, attaching burst heals that explode later when they reach a certain HP threshold or debuffing enemies damage.

This style aren’t being represented much outside of Mercy.

I’m not some melee weapon wielding paladin like Baguette.

I’m not some sniper who deals damage and poisons enemies preventing healing like Ana.

I’m not some wacky bouncing DJ that passively heals his allies by existing like Lucio and nonstop shoots enemies.

I don’t like having to literally suck the life out of enemies on Moira and dedicate a huge chunk of my time to DPSing in order to heal.

I don’t feel represented by the current roster in my playstyle outside of Mercy.

It’s not I want her to be the best. But it’s that she feels pretty horrific to play.

I know I made this about Mercy but part of me feels hope because of Echo because at this point I DO NOT AT ALL want to play Mercy in her current state.

Dare I say it? She can’t be balanced in this state. It’s a game of numerical optimization at this point.

Even Stylosa’s recent video on Mercy pointed this out. And this is why fundamentally she needs a rework.

5m0s

Is it a tank meta? How much Hp/s is Ana doing? What about this nerf? What about that buff? What about this other nerf?

Mercy’s kit right now feels with it’s last 5 or so nerfs like it’s just an attempt at numerical optimization. Fundamentally her kit right now WILL BE BROKEN one way or another. Either she will be suffocating or she will be underwhelming.

Source of the video:

24 Likes

Mercy is fine
20 characters

11 Likes

No she’s not
20 characters

28 Likes

I honestly agree and that might be part of the reason I do not play support in this game. None of them appeal to me except for Mercy and she is too hard for me to play. It is just so weird because I love almost every healer in Paladins. Seris is my favorite. If I am picking a healer, I expect to heal as much as I could deal damage if I was playing damage. You know what I mean? If I can wrack up 20k damage, I want 20k healing, and the only characters that do that are Mercy and Moira. I had a stint (10 hours) with Moira, but she was far too easy to keep me entertained for long.

1 Like

In any case it would seem that Mr. Kaplan has reaffirmed the team’s stance from earlier, and so we can put this revert business to bed.

5 Likes

How do I popcorn Moira D:

What you think you write is not in line with what you write. Your words reek of “mercy needs to be number 1” even if your intent is “mercy needs to be funner”

1 Like

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/012/556/900.gif

8 Likes

2 Likes

I prefer the animated gif.

8 Likes

Sovereign, you told me awhile back that you knew no one cared about your opinion and that I’d forget about you in a couple of days or weeks.

It seems like you’re determined to make your own statement a lie. I can’t come to these forums without seeing your posts.

Was this thread needed?

10 Likes

I do know no one cares about me on forums or IRL. I am not delusional enough to think anyone cares. Like that’s the way the world is, no one gives a hoot about me. I am not even here to debate that. I know I’m unwanted and irrelevant. I know I am.

But you’re wrong if you think I’m not going to use my meaningless little voice to try and change things for the better.

And yes this thread was needed. Because I have NOT wanted Mercy to be the best hero. But I want her to be better and more fun and engaging.

2 Likes

No idea, fam. That is just how it is. I cannot keep track of my team, it is hard to figure out when to go for a rez without dying unless I just sit on the ability and rez someone who is not particularly high impact. I have no idea how to stay alive on her, I fly to someone that is critical and everyone starts focusing me and I freak out because my only option is to fly somewhere else, but I need to know where my team was for that to work unless they died, but if they died I was failing to my job and they guy I wanted to save is probably dead because I have no idea where I am and then I just say “screw this” and valk with my pistol to try and do what I know best. Dealing damage. Oh, and the Pharah’s that I am trying to pocket, I have no idea how to stay up there, and some Mercy do a weird backwards drift, no idea how to do that, or the super jump. I am only good with the pistol.

If this thread is a response to Jeff’s comment about “many people” wanting Mercy to be OP or UP, then no this thread wasn’t needed. If you believe you are not advocating for an OP/UP Mercy, then Jeff isn’t talking about you. You don’t need to pre-emptively defend yourself if you’re not the type of person Jeff is calling out.

3 Likes

Now come on. I am sure that there are people that love you. Don’t go down that road. The Mercy business is concluded, and you’re not getting what you want. You can be upset about that, but you’re not alone in this world. And if you feel like you are I hope you will talk to someone.

You’re not unwanted, and you’re not irrelevant. And I don’t think it is the goal of anyone to make you feel this way.

6 Likes

Mercy threads summed up in one video

7 Likes

It’s called bad gamesense. More ingame time, less forum time and it’ll get fixed slowly

I have like 800 hours on the game. My gamesense is fine for the characters I play. I do not need to keep track of teammates if I am on damage (unless I play McCree… Lul, half the reason I stopped using him), I just need to know where they are in general. Not their specific location to plan out an escape route. And to that end, I have no doubt if I spent more time on Mercy, it would get fixed slowly. But no sure why I would bother wasting my time with an underpowered character that is not particularly fun to play either, just to develop gamesense for her.

2 Likes

She’s balanced.

Other heroes need reworks.

Moving on.

1 Like

I wonder if in 2020 people will still be posting rework mercy threads.