How to Make Lower Ranks more Fun

December 13, 2022

Overwatch 2 Dual-System ranking

OVERWATCH 2, SEASON 3

The competitive ranking system relies upon large datasets to attempt to fairly place players. It is a team centric game and as such, each randomly assembled team is it's own unique composition. Like a symphony played out in a single battle, the contribution of a single instrument is nearly impossible to separate from the whole effect of the piece of music.

Therefore when the difference between technical ability, game familiarity, strategic concepts and other factors vary wildly between players, the job becomes literally impossible without extremely large numbers of games played per player.

This problem of extreme variation does not confuse the ranking system in place at higher ranks of the game. Unfortunately, however, new player influx combined with "smurfing" can lead to constant unavoidable chaos at lower levels before the system has collected enough data. Finally, the behavior of "casual" players interacts undesirably with ranking methodology through low amounts of "per season" data upon which the system eventually must rely heavily to grant overall ranking stability.

The result is chaotic lower ranks with both low player ranking mobility and extremely chaotic "stomp-counterstomp" experience for those at the lower end which can reduce the fun of the overall experience. This identifies a need for a different approach to ranking methodology for lower rank players which is addressed below.

GENERAL UPDATES

A Smoother Scale From Individual To Team

Unlike higher ranks where the understanding of team interaction, timing, and coordination is known as the greatest factor, at lower levels of play team coordination cannot even be expected to occur with the slightest consistency. Therefore we recognize that the greatest contributing factor at low rank versus high rank flips in priority from individual skill to team coordination and tactics and can address the problem with a dual system.

At one end, individual performance statistics alone will be used for the lowest ranking divisions, including disregard of team win/loss, with Silver and Gold ranking system relying ever more heavily on team play and win/loss rates as the system returns completely to the normal method at Platinum and above.

At low rank, teamplay focused behavior is often "going along with" the wrong thing but the unfortunate "solo-play" style can completely destroy team coordination found at high levels and is a negative behavior that eliminates the net gains of self-sacrificing or supportive behavior good teams excel at. It must be eliminated to achieve the synergy of teamplay expected of high level competition which can only be captured via wins and losses, thus high performance ranking will remain unchanged.

• Individual statistics such as kill/death ratio, damage per second, healing per second, objective time per (specific) map, teammate saves, assists, etc are already tracked and adjusted by role. (though only slightly used) These stats will be compared to character averages at higher ranks for individual evaluation. There is already a "plays" evaluation system in place for the "play of the game" which will also be used for individual evaluation as well. Even teammate disconnect can still result in a positive adjustment to individual evaluation.
  • For example: At Bronze rank and below, a single instance of "leavers, feeders, and griefers" which are far more common at this rank, can individually destroy a game for four other players. (especially with the introduction of single-tank gameplay) However, if a given player continues to do their job well, even a lost game could result in a higher ranking evaluation by the system.
  • These changes are necessary, specifically, for data analysis techniques to allow greater mobility of ranking and consistency of matchmaking, via a smaller set of data from the more chaotic and inconsistent set of players.

BRONZE SPECIFIC UPDATES

Three Additional Divisions Before Bronze

Completely new players, veteran bronze players, "smurf accounts" or "rank boosting," and casual-but-skilled, represent a wild difference of skill not accountable in a single ranking. Discovering the differences via game performance data alone requires stronger focus on individual statistics over win/loss rates.

Therefore, the elemental ranks of Wood, Earth, and Water will be added to represent a greater spread of game familiarity. (Please don't call Water "potato" simply because it's below Earth)

Individual statistics can accidentally reward poor team play and has been an undesirable strategy for our prior single-system rank evaluation. Thus a double system that starts with individual performance statistics will be used solely for the three additional divisions but almost entirely for regular Bronze as well. However, team focussed play will still remain the priority evaluation metric of high level performance, thus each rank advancement will up to Platinum de-prioritize individual stats.

• Players previously evaluated as "Bronze" will first be placed in elemental ranks as a help system which will, at the end of every game, give a running list of per-game elemental rank as a game-by-game personal evaluation with constructive feedback on individual stats and tips such as practicing aim, survival, or other game basics so that players know what steps to take on their path to improve.
  • Elemental players will be given positive reinforcement on individual skill improvement game-by-game as well as noting performances that indicate high levels of play in specific tasks like healing alone.
  • Bronze and Silver ranks will be far more volatile in the speed of rank change to give rapid feedback as well as the feeling of mobility for long-term Bronze skill level players.
  • Players of moderate or high individual skill and game familiarity will be far more rapidly sorted higher or lower to minimize game disruption from large technical and game-knowledge skill gaps that currently exist in various Silver and Bronze players.
4 Likes

Why would they do that? Bliz is about making money, not making games fair, fun, or functional. Besides, they’ll just whine about it creating 20 extra seconds of queue time to help you avoid 20 minutes of not just wasted time, but backwards progress.

There’s no hope of them ever trying something different or making things better if it’s for the players. If it will get some CEO more cash though…

They’ll be all ears.

3 Likes

Well, it’s in their financial interest to make the game accessible and fun for all ranks of players, not just those willing to spend a ton of time playing ranked.

That’s really my personal issue. It’s the huge number of games they need to figure out which player is destroying every game they go into. Personal stats at low ranks is such an easy fix to everything.

My queue time for support are 10 - 25+ mins. It’s one of the big factors of me quitting comp. I have to get 7 wins to see my rank, so I’m not wasting that much time!

1 Like

You know, even if they didn’t want to use individual stats for ranked at higher levels - which I understand - why not just let us all know how we are personally performing so we can have personal growth metrics.

Am I dying too much and playing too aggro?
Am I DPSing too much as support/tank?
Am I flanking too much (low objective time) as a DPS?

Just some hints and comparisons to other higher ranked players in specific skills would really be helpful for me personally. Why not just have that for us to look at even if it’s not part of the ranking?

Look, I don’t know why any of you waste your time. Just switch games! Blizz don’t listen!

No player out there is dumb enough to think all bronze players are the same, but Bliz as a corporation (not the individuals in it) is made stupid by greed and typical corporate crap.

I bet there are developers inside Bliz screaming the same thing from the rooftops but some executive is thinking only of THIS QUARTER’s PROFIT alone and is killing every attempt to make the game better. …making devs focus on immediate profit only. Long terms gains stand in the way of QUARERLY EARNINGS.

That’s why tech companies create garbage products. The most profitable path IS NOT a good product that requires lots of short term input without immediate reward and even creates short term losses to create a long-term systems.

Pump and dump is not just for stocks. It’s for products too.

Get people hyped, cash grab, and who cares if it falls apart after one year. (their philosophy not mine) It’s just like all the cryto and NFT scams. Have you seen the Logan Paul zoo thing?? Why do you think all these businesses spend so much on advertising?? It’s ALL BS.

Stop thinking these corporations care about your opinion. It doesn’t matter how well presented or intelligent it is. Profit is the ONLY goal. Scamming within legal limits is the most profitable. Therefore all products are becoming 90% scam 10% product.

Get that through your head.

1 Like

You would think so, but apparently it pays more to pander exclusively to desperate, rich addicts.

No it’s not. Companies are about Cash, and Fast Cash. Not long term crap. They want the money and now, not next year. Diablo 4 is their next cash maker coming in a few months while this one is making all those billions till then.
Then it’s on to another WoW Expansion to make more billions. This Idea of long term is the mindset of moral people not Companies.

Well Merry Christmas to all of you as well, haha!

I get the frustration and maybe you guys have a point but I guess I just enjoy the game and still hold out some hope that something will break loose. CEOs and managers move to other companies and sometimes the strategy changes a little.

It just seems like someone could recognize the ROI on making ranked fun and engaging. Theoretically they are still inputting effort into the PVE, right? So there’s already a budget for projects going into next year at least.

It seems like there are such quick and easy fixes (like I proposed above) that they could see making money from - even the short term.

I dunno, maybe I should have proposed it like: THIS SYSTEM WILL CAUSE MAJOR ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOR IN ALL YOUR PLAYERS!!!11

Happy holidays to you guys anyway. Hope you have fun whatever you end up playing!