Hanzo and Widow have been out of control for too long and it needs to stop

Some are healthy for the game and some are not

So you’re telling me Reaper’s shotguns are effective at all ranges if I know how to aim them? And don’t try to be like “oh that doesn’t count”, or something like that; you did say EVERYTHING is good at all ranges if you can aim properly. That’s a straight-up incorrect statement.

8 Likes

I don’t think a 2-second increase to her grapple’s cooldown is anywhere NEAR enough, considering that shields (her biggest counter) are receiving gargantuan nerfs.

Widow’s counters get smashed into the ground with the nerf hammer, meanwhile Widow herself gets a tiny slap on the wrist. Those things don’t balance out at all. If anything, these changes will only increase her dominance.

2 Likes

Emp wasn’t the only thing to get nerfed and it actually got double-nerfed.

There are heroes who do not rely heavily on abilities and hack does little to their ability to fight back. Sombra also cannot be invisible while performing any other ability or firing her gun. She has to decloak and then activate her ult which also is not instant. Her ult also needed followup which was usually activated in the middle of the enemy team which meant she usually translocated away to heal up before coming back due to being damage while or shortly after activating her ult meaning the fight was a 5v6 a lot of times. There are plenty of other ults that are powerful and don’t require much teamwork or followup like EMP that actually kills things. Healing could still happen and healing restores depleted shields and the enemy team is still able to fight back.

That being said. I was fine with a cast time increase but the duration of the hack effect being reduced was completely unwarranted and was an extra kick in the knee.

Explain. Because I’ve played the character so I know where she is likely to come in and it is very easy yo peel for a hacked teammate and force a retreat. She is not EMPing and insta-killing the team every second. She lacks the ability to instantly kill anyone. Her hack can be interrupted, you can shoot at her while hacked, and she has no abilities to finish or stay in the fight like various other damage heroes.

You can pick any available character in the category you are locked in. Don’t try to say she was braindead easy either because if you can’t tell the difference between a good Sombra and a great Sombra, you never played against a great Sombra.

Hack was not a mistake. It has plenty of counterplay and can even easily be prevented from even happening with an added penalty timer for her taking any damage while trying to do it. With all the ability dependent characters with hyper mobility and super cc, hack is very much welcomed. A lot of people dislike hack because it exposes the truth about how skilled with aiming and teamwork people truly are. When you are hacked it is just your primary against hers. She does not have helix rockets to finish the fight, no deflect, no stuns, just your aim against hers.

You mean the period that had double sniper bunker? Widow was never useless, her design prevents that.

I do. She should not be gutted but she needs to be changed or scaled back.

Because of her design.

I guess you love Orisa.

The good news, I suppose, is look what happened to heroes such as Tracer or Genji that were widely called out for being favored. They might smite Widow if that opinion ever gains enough traction to convince them to overcorrect.

I’m just saying that one of the fundamental staples of the gameplay is the inherent strategy that emerges from hero picks and the abilities those heroes possess, and a hero that can invalidate that is just a terribly stupid thing.

Brigitte, Moth, and Moira happened because they refused to just nerf Tracer and Genji. Instead they tried to create ways to deal with them (and dive as a whole) that messed up so much more.

Even like you said, IF was made to combat some of the insta-kills and that contributed to bunker in which the snipers were also used.

A lot the problems with the game and supports are due to Blizzard not just nerfing the problem characters in the first place.

1 Like

I’d be fine with that.

Okay fine. That was inaccurate.

Good thing Reaper has plenty of abilities to help him get close enough to maximize his value.

And maybe not literally everything can be effective at all ranges, but surely about 80% of all damage is effective at any range by nature of this game being largely FPS-based. But I’m sure you with all of your wisdom could see that.

Wall hacks is a crazy powerful utility.

2 Likes

Widow/hanzo honestly are BEYOND busted. This is an objective game and 1 shots don’t work. Literally best way to balance them is removing their 1 shots they don’t need them. Pick value in yhis game is to high and they can 1 shot for free from hella far riskless. Also their body shot dmg is way to high they should at least require 3 shots to kill off body shots. Snipers are suppose to be weak up close but they are so good up close both havr mobility, both can 1 shot u up close, widow has her automatic rifle for up close in case she doesn’t wanna aim and hanzo has storm of arrows to make him even more braindead. These 2 characters literally do it all and their most consistent counter play is a mirror match, people b1tch out tanks being op and that we have so many tank metas but the reason we have so many tank metas is BECAUSE of widow/hanzo . Nobody wanys to keep getting 1 shot immediately after leaving spawn, but hey people just need to get good and snipers are fair.

1 Like

Yes, I did.

People underestimated how good the sonar is (as they understimated Sym and Torb overheal mechanics, but I digress), and he was intended to be played as a mid-range sniper, where his projectiles where fast enough that it worked almost as a hitscan hero.

Hanzo was fine. He would get in trouble if a close range enemy got close enough, but that was the fair tradeoff on a sniper archetype character. They should be weak at close range, and if you knew where you was positioned, wall climb was enough to provide you a quick escape route against most close range heroes.

It just makes no sense that the dev repeatedly says they can’t give Ana any kinda of mobility or self-healing because “heroes need weaknesses”, but try their best to minimize snipers own weaknesses.

So, yeah. I stand that hanzo did not needed Lunge. Scatter needed a damage cap, and that was all.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess he does have some utility.

I agree, 100%.

Don’t forget the ridiculous size of his projectiles.

I don’t know what the devs were thinking for him. And the fact that he gets a see through walls hack on a short cooldown is even more BS.

I’m an Ashe main and it just sucks going up against Hanzo because he’s effective at Ashe’s preferred range, long range, sneaking up, etc. And I have to deal with his projectiles being huge + his (seemingly) smaller head hitbox than my own.

It’s stupid.

True, and Hanzo and Widowmaker aren’t.

They’ll never do anything because Blizzard loves Widow/Hanzo to help with OWL viewership. One-shot kill mechanics make for nice highlights.

So what is needed. Because 6 months ago it’s what everyone was asking for. A nerf to her escape tool.

Snipers are more difficult to play than either hero. Everyone just seems to talk about snipers like anyone can pick them up and make it to top500 with them.

4 Likes

So?

Does this means they will get a free pass when it comes to balancing? Sombra and Doomfist aren’t low skill heroes either and guess what happened to them?

Well, let’s not sugarcoat it, shall we? Yes, playing snipers takes moderate skills, but it ain’t exactly THE hardest thing in the game.

Widowmaker lacks the drawbacks snipers has in other games like scope swaying, recoil and lack of mobility. Not to mention that mechanical skill is pretty much the only required skill to play her well, which is of course still a hard skill to get, but yeah, other than that is Widowmaker as straightforward as you can get.

Hanzo’s skill floor has dropped significantly with his rework. Like, a lot. He’s not that hard to pick up anymore. His skill ceiling too has dropped a bit with it.

Again, I’m not saying they are both easy to play and easy to get top 500 with, but I’m not agreeing with them being the hardest heroes to play either.

5 Likes

We shall see because that 12 second cooldown means she can be much less aggressive in her positioning and is more likely to be able to be caught with it on CD by dive heroes.