Game Updates on Launch

This just started for no reason, but anytime I launch Battle.net Overwatch, OWL Replay Viewer Current, and OWL Replay Viewer Previous all update. It’s a short update, only takes a second for each of them but it is getting annoying waiting for the update to launch the game, I’ve already tried Scan and Repair but that didn’t do anything. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Hey there,

I just wanted to let you know there is currently an issue affecting the permissions for the Blizzard Desktop Application and its causing various issues with updates or the app thinking it needs to update games or itself when it doesn’t. We are investigating the issue but I do not have an ETA for a potential solution.

In the meantime if it is interfering with your ability to play, you can go into the Blizzard Desktop Application Settings and set the app to close on game launch. That should prevent any interference while playing. /salute

2 Likes

there’s a thread talking about this in general but not one in tech support that i could find, apologies for the dupe. battle.net is repeatedly attempting to update both main OW, the PTR client, and the installed OWL viewer. whatever the ‘update’ is very trivial, as it is over almost immediately, but will pop up the ‘application wants to make changes to your computer’ dialog which takes over the entire screen, so it’s pretty annoying.

the only workaround i have found so far is to just quit out of battle.net. it doesn’t seem to be affecting other installed games like WoW. i’ve already performed a scan/repair.

1 Like

Me and a friend are also experiencing the problem. I just denied the UAC so it would stop popping up until the problem is fixed.

1 Like

I had a similar issue yesterday. All of my games said “waiting on another update” even though nothing was downloading. I found someone on the official forums with the same problem, and there was also a response from Blizzard:

What ended up working in the end was clearing my inbound firewall rules. I deleted ANY inbound firewall rules that had anything to do with Blizzard games or the Battle.net client. Just for good measure, I also followed steps 1-5 that were suggested in the thread to do a fresh install of Battle.net. If your computer claims the files can’t be deleted because some are currently in use, just restart your PC and then delete them. Make sure Battle.net isn’t automatically starting with your PC though, or some files will still be in use.

I’m getting the same problem as well.

Tried the Scan and Repair tool in the launcher to see if it would fix the problem. Once the scan was finished, I got an error:

“Whoops! Looks like something broke. Give it another shot.​”
Error Code: BLZBNTAGT00000BB8

So now it says my game needs updating, and when I try to update it, it scans and gets that error again. I’m stuck in an update loop now and can’t play the game

Edit: Deleting the Overwatch folder in my C: directory (not My Documents) and letting the launcher reinstall it fixed the problem. Normal uninstall/reinstall didn’t work

This problem is happening many months ago, but now is frequently for everyone…

After 4 days its incredible that BNet devs din’t fixed this.

It’s not just this game (OVERWATCH), even STARCRAFT II is also having this problem of update loop thing. I was curious when the UPDATE Button showed up for STARCRAFT II, only to have “that” problem as well.

I really have no idea what is wrong with Battlenet, hope this “problem” gets solved ASAP.

Tried the Uninstall & Reinstall Battlenet method - No Good, OVERWATCH & STARCRAFT II still going on a Update Loop.

After another attempt at the Uninstall & Reinstall of Battlenet, all games finally update itself completely.

Wow, this is still an issue for me. I can’t even download to install Overwatch, to try a reinstall to see if that’ll fix the issue. After choosing “Continue” in the installer, it’ll just grey out and act like it’s processing but nothing happens at all.

Restoring a backup copy of the game, and locating it through bnet, you still get the “update” and “couldn’t access a folder” error despite being logged in as admin, running bnet as admin, taking ownership of the folders/subfolders and whatever else you could think of. I’ve tried reinstalling bnet countless times and deleting all cache/anything related to bnet. I can’t even launch the game from the executable itself because now it gives a could not locate resources error. Between that and not being able to update or even download and reinstall the game, I really hope something is done to fix this, especially since there’s going to be the winter event soon enough.

1 Like

Well, I’m happy to say that this is still an issue :smiley:

1 Like

I’m back before the month is up and the thread closes because yep, still facing this issue. :smiley:

Still an issue lol :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yep, just would like to update that this update issue is indeed still an issue for me too.

The issue originally posted was from November of last year and had a specific cause. That issue was addressed a long time ago. So if you are seeing issues now then your issue is not likely related to this now 3 month old post that is seeing one report every few weeks mentioned in it.

If you are currently experiencing an issue update this game, create a new topic either here for Overwatch only or in the Blizzard Desktop Application forums if it is affecting multiple games: