[Feedback Thread Continued Part IV] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Disclaimer: THIS POST IS NOTE SAYING I THINK THE NERF IS GOOD OR BAD, I’M SIMPLY POINTING OUT SOME THINGS ABOUT THE NERF PEOPLE MAY NOT HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT.

So the new Mercy nerf decreases her healing per second by 17% or so, which is significant. It doesn’t necessarily address the core issues of why Mercy is the most picked main healer by far, but it is significant nonetheless. What people haven’t really seemed to realize is that it is going to make it take quite a bit longer to get her ultimate since her ultimate cost wasn’t reduced to compensate (not that she needs the compensation anyway, but yeah).

Also, it will take Mercy longer to top off individual targets, so the wait for somebody who needs healing might be a second or two longer, and they might die in that time because they had to wait. Mercy players will have to consciously decide who is at most risk of dying/who is most important to heal now more often than they did before.

Additionally, the chain healing during her ultimate will also not be as strong. This will make it less effective overall, and maybe even enforce damage boost as the dominant use of Valkyrie (though I’m not sure on that one). We’ll see on that one.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens with this. I’m hesitant to say that this nerf is what was needed, because I don’t necessarily think that is true. The core reasons that she is picked so much were mostly unaddressed, but I’m willing to see how it plays out, I guess.

4 Likes

Right, I feel similarly about this as I do the Shield Bash to 7s change. It may not be the “#1 issue”, but it’s a significant enough change that it’s worth not immediately dismissing it as pointless.

2 Likes

So what is the number 1 issue? The once-a-fight res? If so, there’s no turning that down a notch. There’s only removing it, which would make her have no team utility aside from healing. The other healers have much more potent offensive and whole-team abilities throughout the fight.

Actually, you could lock Rez behind Valk. Would add a lot of depth to an otherwise depthless ultimate, and make popping the ultimate feel far more impactful. Also, it would remove the ability to Rez in the first fight of the game, as so often happens when one side gets a quick pick.

1 Like

Without res on cooldown, she might fall to “Lucio in Mercy double res meta” level support picks. Consistent healing and damage boosting do good work, but the other healers’ in-fight utility has always been important. That’s why single healer has never been a good team comp, outside of super specific scenarios.

THANK YOU MY FRIEND, I been saying this every since I seen the update about the Nerf… I even made a whole thread about it. The Mercy Nerf is an Indirect Nerf to Every Hero 💔 (Click Me)

As I stated that the nerf is a bit deeper than what people realize. I am not upset about the nerf as a nerf was needed, but it was once again the wrong nerf. All this does is take a toll on literally everyone’s survivability (more so on tanks)

I am aware that this is an indirect buff to damage-dealers, but you also have to think about the survivability of these changes. Yes, Mercy will still be the go to and still remain superior as she offers that consistent raw healing, but with these changes, you will see more diverse in the support selection, but more so contradicted team compositions as Mercy believe it or not… handled all the dirty work, that allow teams to run pretty much whatever weird team composition as please.

Why? well because you know that you have a pure support who offer that consistent healing.

You can run 5 DPS and a Mercy, and you can still be effective.

I agree with you Fragehardt, as I bee saying this for the longest time, but of course I received some negativity. (nothing that I can’t handle) because I am a Sombra Main :wink:

These changes are again the wrong type of nerf, but I will still wreck and dominate with Mercy as I am one different Mercy Main. This just means that I won’t play as aggressive as I normally do with Mercy.

Heroes, Well… They Are Going Die :dizzy:

1 Like

So if it’s like Sound Barrier (which I did communicate when it was up sometimes) and Sound Barrier is fine, then Mass Rez was fine, with that logic.

Heyyyo, thread merge!

With the amount of changes that have taken place to Mercy (all nerfs) since her rework, it is clear that it was a failure.

Whether Blizzard will accept this, ignore this, or do what they did last time and claim it was still a success, is to be seen.

Many people have said it before, including high ranking Mercy players such as Animetic, that resurrect is what is keeping Mercy at a huge pickrate over the other healers.

(https://twitter.com/Animetic/status/1019736914029621248)

But no, Blizzard nerf her base healing instead.

No disrespect meant, but at this point, whoever decided that any of the Mercy changes were good needs to be shown the door.

62 Likes

Sound Barrier and Mass Resurrect have nothing in common.

?

Nor did my comment indicate as such. I also communicate with teammates when my Ultimate is ready, it’s just habit at this point.

But your team knowing you have Sound Barrier, and you coordinating with them on when to use it, doesn’t really matter because it’s a Defensive Ultimate used for shields. You use it when you feel it is most necessary.

Yes the hell it did. That was the entire reason for the “Die on point” meme.

The problem was that it was really hard for players to overcome their fight-or-flight instinct and not run away or waste time and ultimates when Mercy was waiting to Rez them. If they waste too much time, she loses the chance to Rez the whole team and the ones struggling die immediately after. If they run too far, she can’t Rez them at ALL.

Okay, I’m sorry, what was your complaint? Sound Barrier doesn’t require a lot of communication but mass rez working similarly was an issue??? And I ALWAYS heard people asking when mass rez was up or telling the team when it was ready. And as I said before, which you can’t ignore, letting your team know it was okay to keep fighting even if it meant death was EXTREMELY important and required…COMMUNICATION!

I’m just going to drop this since we’re clearly not seeing eye-to-eye.

You’re not making sense, and honestly, being dishonest about mass rez and communication to use the ult. And of course it’s difficult to see eye to eye when you say one thing and then the opposite the next second.

Haha, no they are not being dishonest. Any good player knows they need to die with everyone else for the mass rez. They didn’t need to be told (unless they were new to the game).

1 Like

Oh, really? But know it’s up and that Mercy is ready and in position to use it, that she feels an ult storm is coming so position YOURSELF accordingly wasn’t communicated? Yes, both of you are being dishonest and misremembering horribly.

That’s not really even true, because “good” players make mistakes all the time.

Not to mention, at that level, Tempo Rez was the far more powerful and common Resurrection method.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing for over two years, haha. I’m not new :wink:

I just stand by the logic of multi-kills were earned and deserve to be kept.

Just because you don’t understand what I’m saying doesn’t mean I am not making sense. You just have a different opinion than myself, and that’s ok. We need to drop it because we aren’t going to agree with things.

I wasn’t saying you were new. I was saying that unless someone was new (in general), they know that in the case of an on coming team wipe you needed to stay together.

1 Like