[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Ofcourse it would, bringing someone back into the fight is extremely powerful and there’s not going to be such huge reward without some risk. Coordinate with your team to protect you to pull it off.

If you’re not using Resurrect in Valkyrie then you’re not making the most of her, wait for the right time to Resurrect someone, then do it. Don’t do it as soon as they die because then they’ll be clearly fixated on you.

2 Likes

This I agree with, but it doesnt make valk bad and it’s not really relevant. It’s like saying Trans is bad because Discord orb is really strong.

Ressurect is still one of the strongest abilities in the game, doesn’t take away anything from valk.

1 Like

Exactly. The only real way a Mercy is going to die in Valk is from bad positioning, a skillful/lucky shot(s), or being countered by an ult to remove her.

The engaging impact she has in Valk is really strong. Way stronger than Moira, and can charge nearly as fast as Moira’s ult if the Moira is insistently throwing out garbage damage for Mercy to heal.

I’d say the only things that would be nice for Valk is some form of a buff to rez… I can agree… No more insta rez, but maybe a refresh or way better range to do it.

its easier to rez outside of ult when you dont have huge ’ i’m here,SHOOT ME",wings on your back.

The only reason why she doesnt die is because she can move around fairly quickly,if you rez then good luck.

7 Likes

So… remember back when everyone was like “YAY now Roadhog will have to work with his team to get his hook kills?” after the Roadhog nerf? How’d that go? Yeah it went terribly. Hog became arguably the WORST hero in the game all because his main strength got balanced around team coordination and didn’t come back into the game until he got some other strengths that no other hero had to lean on.

Balancing around teamwork and communication does not work.

14 Likes

To me, her ult would be considerably better if it was a solid 95 hps, but on one target and 40% damage boost to one target. Multi healing isn’t Mercy’s area of expertise, she shouldn’t bleed into other supports areas in terms of ults.
(Nano boost should give the speed bonus and last a little longer, and ana should have a faster reload but hey)
Also insta rez cuz it’s an ult

3 Likes

That’s a fundamentally different situation to compare to. Roadhog due to the rest of his kit, relied on him being able to one shot enemies. Taking that away left him bereft of any real strength. Same would happen if you just nerfed Scatter Arrow and left Hanzo where he is.

Also notice how since then, Hog has had no changes to his hook, yet has come back into the spotlight. Because his other components were fundamentally lacking. Balancing around teamwork and communication does work, as a lot of heroes have it. Getting hooked still usually means you’re dead, since people will shoot the target.

Mercy on the other hand doesn’t have issues with the rest of her kit. It’s fine, how it should be. Another point about balancing around teamwork and communication is Orisa, she’s a popular hero, yet requires teammates to take advantage of her strengths and protect her.

I had zero issues with it. It was similar to mass rez. The problem with Valk was that it lasted way too long, and because it was long, it gave Mercy such a huge window to use both rezzes. They should have reduced the duration significantly and kept the two rezzes.

4 Likes

I am going to guess that most people who feel that Valkyrie is ineffective are uncoordinated solo queue players.

As a solo queue player, Mercy’s Valkyrie feels highly underwhelming to me. My team would never stay close enough to derive the value out of either the group heals or buffs. As such, only her self-healing, flight and pistol provide a feeling of power, and I am not sure that most people play Mercy to turn into a mini-Pharah, which is something Pharah can do better all of the time.

Valkyrie seems effective in coordinated play and in pro play, but without a skill-based way to earn Resurrect, I am not sure we will see Mercy in OWL any more outside of Pharmercy.

4 Likes

Am I reading your post wrong or do you want Damage boosting during ulti to be 1 target 40% instead of most of the team 30%? That seems… a lot worse.

As to mercys area of expertise, she really doesnt have one, she’s a versatile jack of all trades healer. Actually I guess her area of expertise would be ressurects if you so badly want to assign her one. :slight_smile:

No it’s not.
It’s great.
You can heal up everybody.
For 15 seconds.

Just don’t get oneshot by something.

This is an ult that you can rely on providing good value whenever there is fighting.

1 Like

This is very true. And I don’t think this is a problem in regards to your last paragraph. Mercy is moreso an entry level character while people get used to the game and someone who can put out good consistent healing. For people who can min max, (pros) they shouldn’t be playing such a character all the time. She has great chemistry with Pharah and I think we may see her a good portion of the time on King of the Hill maps.

Her rez is pretty team dependent though, and it can’t really be used during team fights, so I wouldn’t exactly call it fine. Plus, her ult is entirely dependent on her team capitalizing on its use, and she has to deal with it (and how boring and lacking impact it is) for 15 seconds. Mercy has always been team dependent, but this is ridiculous.

5 Likes

Mercy doesn’t have as much trouble with the rest of her kit as Hog does… but the rest of her kit has one glaring problem.

Remember the “until he got some other strengths that no other hero had to lean on”? Yeah after the buffs to take a breather… Hog became the BEST brawler tank bar none. So… that’s why you take him.

What is Mercy the best at when you take away Resurrect? The answer is consistency… but consistency alone doesn’t win fights. Spikes of power are much much MUCH more likely to win fights and Mercy has none.

6 Likes

I will give everyone this.

Is Mercy or her ult bad? No.

Is Mercy or her ult boring? Yes, yes it is.

I for one found her unfun to play as even during the earliest iterations of Valkyrie. Not my playstyle.

11 Likes

The problem is, her old Valk had way too high of a spike that lasted way too long.

i like this idea!!!

I’d argue bringing your team back up to a 6v6 instead of fighting 5v6 is a pretty hefty spike of power, no?

I also don’t see how you wouldnt say valk isnt a spike of power. Giving you twice the range, flight, instant regeneration and a huge aoe to your entire kit sounds like a pretty good spike of power… no? If not then I honestly dont know what classifies as a spike of power. It massively improves her entire kit, hell even her blaster.

Healing throughput. 60 HPS is double Zenyatta’s, it takes no skill, you never have to reload and you don’t run out of energy like Moira. She also has a lot of mobility, Zenyatta and Ana both have none and mobility as a healer is very powerful since it can get you out of situations.

You’re telling me then by the same logic Soldier: 76 is the worst DPS hero? Because he has consistency but he has no spike of power?

Also why are you even considering Mercy without Resurrect? The kit is clearly balanced around the power of that ability so taking it away, yeah, she is going to be weaker than she is. What is Reinhardt the best at when you take away Barrier Field?

That “potential” 300 hp/s is nothing vs actual 300 hp/s from transcendence. And supports are supposed to be annoying, just like tanks - it’s their job to make kills harder to get.

2 Likes