Experiments with Reaper changes show them to be a nerf

Let’s not get off on the wrong foot. These changes are good, and give Reaper consistency, but they are without a shadow of a doubt a nerf. I went to the PTR and live servers and conducted some research into how many shots it took to kill. Statistically this is a net nerf for Reaper, despite being a step in the right direction.

I stood in the same spot in the practice range on PTR and on live and killed the same bot 10 times on both. On average the PTR took 5.6 shots to kill, and live took 4.8 to kill.

Evidence:
h ttps://imgur.com/a/n71QnCN

PTR
h ttps://gfycat.com/VigorousScholarlyAntarcticgiantpetrel

LIVE
h ttps://gfycat.com/DownrightEvilGar

Edit: “Reaper’s specialty is fighting at a very close range. The more consistent spread pattern and increase in healing from his passive ability will make him more capable of standing toe-to-toe with his enemies.” Clear evidence this change was not tested and was done purely on idea.

Edit 2: Title clarifications.

Edit 3: Links put into OP.

74 Likes

I mean… how? I read the patch notes, and unless there is a bug I don’t see how that could possibly be true.

23 Likes

So his primary was made more consistent, and his self-heal buffed… but this is somehow a nerf? That makes no sense to me

63 Likes

Because it’s more consistent. That means it’s more consistently bad, and you’re more likely to take more shots to kill someone.

7 Likes

Let me test this out, and see if I can get the same results

Edit: Looks like you’re right. Tests were conducted aiming for headshots:

Live: 10m - 3.6 shots (4, 3, 3, 4, 4)
PTR: 10m - 4.6 shots (4, 5, 5, 4, 5)

Live: 13m - 5.4 shots (6, 4, 6, 5, 6)
PTR: 13m - 7.0 shots (7, 7, 7, 7, 7)

That’s very, very odd, and can’t be what the devs intended. Changing closer to a fixed spread pattern shouldn’t reduce a weapon’s effectiveness.

Links (credit to another poster):

57 Likes

Go ahead, make sure to report back to this thread with results.

1 Like

It feels nice to me. wdym

Like I responded to somebody else, it’s because it’s more consistent. It’s bad at range, and therefore it’s now consistently bad at range.

3 Likes

It’s nicer.
What are you on about?

2 Likes

i also tested this out after reading this thread. i killed 20 bots on ptr and live.

it took 105 shots on live and 132 shots on ptr (to kill 20 bots). he might be right

21 Likes

Shotguns aren’t meant to be good at range, hun.

10 Likes

I’m on about the literal facts that this is a nerf to Reaper’s damage output. He takes longer to kill someone because it’s more consistently bad. Less pellets are hitting, and therefore less healing, which balances out the change to buffing healing.

19 Likes

Stop aiming for the top of the head from range.

Oh look it turned into a buff.

12 Likes

Which roughly equates to about 30% less damage, pretty shabby to be honest, I hope we get more changes.

2 Likes

People will always find a way to complain.

~ Signed

▂ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓩𝓮𝓷𝔂𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓪 𝓓 :doughnut: 𝓾𝓰𝓱𝓷𝓾𝓽 𝓜 :doughnut: 𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽 █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▂

4 Likes

This test was conducted with the crosshair perfectly on the center of the bot. This is a nerf, test it yourself.

20 Likes

HAHAHAhahaha… i was expecting that “buff” to be totally pointless but to think that it actually would be a nerf… gg blizz i guess.
Instead of a straight reduction of his spread like 10 or even 20%, they reduce this “randomized pellets” thing that no one asked and it actually backfire rofl.
Poor reaper.

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, more of the pellets will be focused on the center of the crosshairs, how is that bad?

As long as your aim is good you are always get those pellets to hit.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right. And these changes highlight that. He is now worse at range because they made it more consistent and less influenced by luck. So it’s a nerf.

And I played PTR as well. Some Reapers can now shred you like paper within seconds :V

1 Like