Error Applying Update - Unknown Error

I’ve had the issue for the last few days, already sent my logs in and have a support ticket open. The weird thing is that earlier today I was able to play a few deathmatches and one competitive match just fine, but now I am having the issue again.

Just came back and tried to play: it works now.

No change on my side. No fix or anything, it just works now.

The game was updated on September 17
Installed version: 1.40.0.0.62065
Right now I started the game three times to check if there is an error.
Since I’m halfway to the seasonal ban in competitive games (thanks to Blizzard’s servers), I only checked Practice Range.
Each time when entering Practice Range for the first time, the game requested an update. How is this even possible if the game uses the latest version?
At the third start and approach to the Practice Range, an error

Unknown Error (-5) error applying update

occurred, I was thrown on the screen of re-login to the game.
It is not necessary to think for a long time that the Error must be repeated at the next entry to the competitive game. I can’t test the quality of this game more deeply yet :wink:

It was an American server
On the European server I received an error from the first attempt to enter the Practice Range
On the Asian server, I needed five restarts of the game for an error when entering the Practice Range
So far I can only say that changing the server does not help :globe_with_meridians:

1 Like

Same problem here. Im from Argentina

Yeah I am having the same issues, what is going on in Blizzard central right now. It would be nice if you guys could get this fixed at some point, sense you dumped this glitch fest of an update on us.

Hey all,

Thank you for the continued reports. We are still collecting log files for this error if the suggested troubleshooting does not work.

Thanks!

Since nothing has changed or none of the “Suggested troubleshooting” things were done here, and it now works, it does seem like a server side issue, not a client side.
Maybe there was an “anti-spam” feature added to the update servers, or some DDOS protection feature?

Battlenet does an automatic Check for Update upon launch. And Overwatch does it as well now it seems. Maybe, if many people launch at the same time on the same server, it’s considered spam and requests are being blocked?

I’ve never had the checking for update fail (knock on wood lol), but it only checks, at least for me, once per time i run the game, and i can force it right away by entering the training area with the target dummies.

Also checking for updates on bnet does what its supposed to, and says up to date for me, no infinite loops here.

I’ve got the same problem, I think it is due to the hot fix.

Bruh, I went to the extent of formatting my pc and installing a fresh copy of windows. lol

I have an even more funny issue: Overwatch manages to ‘apply update’, but during the match I experience stuttering each time a new something, like a character or an effect, appears on the screen, sometimes when I just break something, when the real fighting starts it sometimes turns into a series of lags. It looks like a insufficient CPU performance, and CPU is hogged, up to 80% even in menus, FPS doesn’t really drop.

Hardware:
i5 3550 4core @ 3.5Ghz, 12Gb PC3-1333, RX 5700, Plextor M3 128Gb SSD.

This was more than enough to keep the game running smooth at ultra settings and it never dropped below a 120fps cap until today.

I have completely reset the system ditching all personal data, tried old and new AMD GPU drivers to no success.

Remove space and please check if editing your Host Windows file can fix this error for affected users :wink:

Edited by Blizzard: Removed mention of editing hosts file. While this may work around this in some cases, it may cause worse issues down the road if we change hosts. This is an advanced step that most users should avoid.

Same problem here. Im from Brazil

I can get it to work by joining the Training Grounds and then leaving and joining a real match.

I’m still having issues and have emailed my logs over. Please help! Thanks.

Hello,

Yesterday i kept getting this error message when trying to join any game.
Today i get it in menu when starting up the game.
Can’t seem to resolve this issue, need help!

2 Likes

Same here, even joined ranked and got banned for some min. and properly lost a lot of points. Because of this bug -.-

this happened to me when i joined a comp game i still got into the game but my fps was also stuck in 10-20s i almost was penalized for an issue with their own update system i blame everything on the new Bastion Skin tbh.

1 Like

Is there a fix for this? Been happening to me as well.

Ever since the last patch OW has been trying to update when queued. Upon entering the game, game will glitch then disconnect. Connection speeds to internet are optimal. When this first happened it was a competitive queue, but didn’t queue it said “please select role” and “searching for game” at the same time?
Never connected to the game, but disconnected from servers. When i hopped back on loss of 50 sr and suspended for 15 min? Wasn’t even in a game?