Error Applying Update - Unknown Error

i was going to try that, guess i wont now! lol, still getting it, may take the rest of the day off of ow till we get a reply.

just a little info, im in eastern ontario canada, i dont think its an area issue but figured id add that info.

1 Like

Not an area issue. Getting same error in Southern California.

1 Like

So if you guys try to manually Check for Update through Battlenet, does it never end like I described up top?

2 Likes

I’ve managed to get mine to respond by right clicking the tray icon for BNet and pausing all updates.

As I noticed the moment I open overwatch the Background processes Blizzard Update Agent (Icon shown as the Blizzard one not the bnet one) Was instant using 50% of my CPU

When I try to get on the practice range, quick play or competitive play, it just stops and says “applying update”. It does this for 30 seconds, and then crashes saying “Unknown Error (-5) error applying update”.

2 Likes

Same error
Game updated before

To developers: fix your game :japanese_ogre: return to all players all missed points, caused by your broken gamecode
Client tool checked all installed files and not found any additional updates
Since beta test not ended i see, the same error was 24 hours ago, but skipped by game and let join to match. Today it is not possible to join matches. Need answers about how long it takes to fix issues with gamecode

Here is possible answer: EU servers were updated correctly, but not some NA server during the last maintenance.
Since I found the reason, return points and turn off the penalty. I can’t test your games without affecting game statistics :rofl:

1 Like

Same issue in Southern Calif…

When I enter a game, a banner pops up and says updating. And then update error. And it logs me out. I lose 50 sr.

1 Like

Yesterday this error was on NA server only, EU server works correct
Not tested game today yet :wink:

1 Like

Same issue here. On live US server. Europe server works using a VPN though.
I tried repairing the game: No error found.
EDIT: I can make it through using a VPN (Paris) to connect to the EU server. It works.

I had that yesterday at around 10pm eastern.
Now it’s 1 pm and I still got the error.

Issue details:
If I try to play a quickplay match, or comp, or even the training level, it shows entering Practice range then after it shows
“Applying update” for 10 seconds then says “error applying update” “unknown error -5”.

Then it logs me out of my account.

EDIT: just tried a Check for Updates from Battlenet and it never ends… always looking and looking… looks like an Update server issue to me.

1 Like

Same problem here. From Canada. Quick play, competitive, arcade, even the training mode… After trying to launch a game, “Applying update” shows up, and after a few seconds the game kicks me out with an “unknown error -2”. It has been happening since last night. :frowning:

2 Likes

Same problem here from Switzerland.

2 Likes

Same happened to me just before, all my motivation to play just through the window.

Whenever I join the game and try to enter the practice range to make sure my models are loaded, it kicks me out of the game and say “Error Applying Update (-5)”

Every time i try to join a game i get a message saying “applying update” then it will continue to load for a couple seconds then fail and give me a error. I’ve tried updating drivers, deleting and reinstalling the game, deleting the battle.net tools folder and noting has worked. please help

same thing has been hapening to me. I havent found anything that fixes it. the only difference is that my error is -5

I am having the same issue. My error code is (-1) tho’ glad to see I’m not the only one having this problem currently.

1 Like

Its all the same error its just if you try multiple times the number will keep going up. There is nothing you can do to fix this as I have already tried and was with support for 7 hours and we tried everything. Even clean reinstalled windows and its still the same thing. Just have to wait until Blizzard pushes out an update.

This happens every time the game loads in. I que and then it says rejoin match and I get disconnected with this error. Tried resetting computer, reinstalling game and launcher. Lost 200 SR cause of this need help ASAP

2 Likes

Same thing here on xbox got error -5 @overwatchcs got suspended and lost sr