Error Applying Update - Unknown Error

GUYS!!

I fixed this bug in my game, but I don’t know if this will work for others
When you open battle net you have to scan and repair in the settings options. You wait maybe 15 minutes or less.
**Then press search for updates and in the same settings options you can see a count like 52, 51, 50, etc. You have to wait 0 and start the game. **
I did this and I could play.

IM NOT SAYING THIS IS THE SOLUTION, IT IS SOMETHING THAT WORKED FOR ME

To everyone, a good workaround that seems to be working is to join the training grounds, it will try to apply the update, if it goes through you should be good but if your having other issues like new heroes making you lag for a second, load up every hero once, i know its a pain in the butt to do but its working for me and my friends so far, if it fails just rinse repeat.

I also get a window with “error applying update” when I am entering OW, but it can be closed.

1 Like

Hey, I don’t know if this works for everyone but the problem might be the administration account on your computer creating some type of issue. You might want to try creating another admin account and testing the overwatch client there. I had this problem yesterday for the entire day too.

odd… i never saw or got that as of yet… this… ill call it an update server bug because thats what it is, seems to affect alot of people differently. try my workaround next time you go to play.

I have tried practice and tutorial as well, it still not working

1 Like

i only have 1 username/account on my pc, and it had 0 issues pre bastion skin challenge, so idk…

1 Like

Tried check and repair with the manual update, didn’t work. Also tried the training grounds trick, but didn’t work as well. Thanks for trying though guys.

I get the applying update error right when my game logs into the game though, so might be a different bug than you guys.

1 Like

yep thats diff, but its still the same thing if you think about it, the update server is being buggy to us.

1 Like

This new update wont even allow me to go into the shooting range or tutorial stage. Any kind of game mode it just says error applying update and then kicks me out of the game under client request. I tried everything listed as options on the more information tab and none of this has helped. I even uninstalled the game and re installed it with the original disc I bought. Nothings working funny thing is that the game didn’t do this on the day it was updated or after just on the 20th and further. Any suggestions other then quitting Overwatch?

2 Likes

if you cant even get into the game i guess youll have to wait till we get a blue response, then do whatever they need us to do to help figure the overall problem out. =/

1 Like

I had this problem a few days ago, it started working again randomly, and now it just started happening again. I’ll try to submit my logs.

I had a normal match before being kicked out by this bug.

This is what has worked as a temporary fix for me:

BUT it seems like it will only work for however long I play the game. The second I close the game and relaunch the bug persists.

1 Like

Ok
played five comp matches after trying double fix

1, mentioned above: join Practise range before searching any real game, message about update appears only one time
2. patch host file. I posted it above with link to reddit. One line with proper ip-address of Blizzard hotfix server
Solution from Reddit user SrySrySrySry
Edited by Blizzard: Removed mention of editing hosts file. While this may work around this in some cases, it may cause worse issues down the road if we change hosts. This is an advanced step that most users should avoid.

Which IP address has to be used? Bc the one mentioned in this post isn’t valid.

Now I’m not sure if changing the file affects much
But Practice range test helps a lot more :wink:

Later I restarted the game and received an Error -5 on the Practice range entry. This drove into the login screen. I entered the game, but something broke at this entrance. For example, some menu items were unavailable and it was impossible to enter any match. It looks like there was no connection to the server

Another sign of the problem of connecting to the server: the hero does not say anything when selecting him on the Practise range :rofl:

After restarting the game, I received a standard (only one) message about updating the game before Practise range. Then I chose a competitive game and without any problems played another match. It was a European server. I’ll check the American a little later :globe_with_meridians:

2 Likes

My problem is that I can’t start any match, regardless of being qp, custom, arcade, practice or tutorial. I tried hundred times, no exception, always disconnected.

4 Likes

Okay, this worked for me oddly enough.
I just jumped into a random custom game and it fixed the issue.
Let me know if it works!

This happened to me twice and It’s banned me from comp twice now, this time it was 30 minutes. I can’t fix the issue and I can’t predict when it will not allow me to join a game. I’m not trying to get suspended from comp for the whole season.

1 Like