Don't entirely delete OW1, keep Quickplay Classic

Right but each story is it’s own game mode, which will have their own queues.

But that is what they are doing, OW1 and OW2 comp IS the same. OW1 gets the same maps, heroes.

But all it has is comp / arcade like it does now.

Their interviews were EXTREMELY explicit about it.

COD didn’t have such bad queue times already.

I think the reasonable compromise here is to have OW1’s last updated file copied over to a separate game, much in the way warcraft classic operates. Minimal support of course continued for it for a brief time, but ultimately, leave it there. Don’t include new characters or maps (because asking them to balance two different versions of characters would be unreasonable) and leave it at that. I don’t imagine anywhere close to a sizable minority will continue to play it long term, and ultimately, you’ll be moving onto the updated version of the game eventually because thats just where the people are going to be.

They will maintain a 5 v 5 version of QPC, but 6 v 6 is probably going away for sure as balance would be a complete mess. They might leave it as an option in the Workshop though.

No one wants to play a game that is a complete one-sided mess. QP most definitely care about balance.

You paid for a license to play a game that in the TOS clearly states the devs can make changes any time to.

1 Like

yes the COMP is the same.

All the arguments only apply to OW1’s Competitive Mode.

So don’t apply them to QPC or No-Limts either.

OW’s queue times for Quickplay Classic and No-Limits are microscopically short.

isn’t that what ALL games do?

Old Call of Duty games get one final patch then left for posterity but you can still play them online.

Usually yes, but they’re treating current OW as a failed model/prototype and seem to want as little to do with its present state as possible. If we’re being honest here, not a lot of long term planning went into the game up to this point, so they’re giving OW1, the original FF14 treatment and drastically overhauling/redesigning it.

The gamble they’re making currently, is on retaining more of the playerbase long term with this change, than they might lose in the immediate, and possibly overtime reclaim a semblance of the glory days (which is rose tinted goggles for the most part because the game was always horribly flawed, but it was new, and everyone was bad so we didn’t notice it until comp was added)

Yet Quickplay Classic, Ranked and Unranked and No-Limits have - combined - to be 73% of the hours of Ranked/Competitive mode.

And that’s just the number of hours, NOT the number of players, each player must count equally not be counted as twice the player just because you played the game for twice as long.

Source:

I am actually asking them to do LESS.

To NOT deleted all of OW1 when OW2 comes out.

Overwatch 1 is in absolutely nothing like the state of the 2010-2012 state of Final Fantasy XIV.

Overwatch was a massive success and continues to be a huge success, and while the changes of OW2 overwhelmingly appeal to Competitive players they just don’t make any sense to people who are the modes with no role restrictions which are a very significant proportion of the playerbase.

I doubt such players even know the timer is ticking and the game they play casually is about to be taken away.

And importantly they did NOT simply release Final Fantasy 15 and FF14 suddenly stopped working, they communicated with EVERYONE playing the game that it was being shut down because of major technical problems that could not be patched. They re-made it to fix major technical problems but substantially it is the same game.

If you aren’t a hardcore comp OW player you probably have no idea what’s about to happen or when it might happen.

People still will not stick with a mode that is terribly unbalanced. Its one large reason QP Classic has such low numbers. QP makes up most of that number you quoted, QPC is tiny in comparison.

You still labor on with this despite the direct evidence that this mode is very few actual players in reality?

As I have said since 2-2-2 came out, OQ dead-enders will never give up believing this mythology that 2-2-2 isn’t more popular when it clearly has been and continues to be.

They have stuck with it for HALF A DECADE!

Stop it.

Stop it with your endless utter nonsense.

I literally JUST GAVE YOU NUMBERS showing their numbers are actually quite high.

It was a source you so arrogantly gave (but refused to verify for a long LONG time) and tried to pass it off as saying something that it obviously didn’t say.

Statistically very few people play QPC, that’s a fact.

You gave a combined number based off what I gave you in the other thread. Look at the chart, very few people in comparison play QPC. All you did was sum everything beyond Comp together and it was still a relatively fractured low number where Comp was still number 1 followed closely by QP. QPC is way, way behind either.

There’s no way to actually know this, one way or the other. Communication regarding the additions of the PvE content and the alterations to the PvP content have been communicated, and likely will see that communication increase as more information about it comes out (They’re being burned presently for a bad transition between the two, but thats a matter of content drought more than it is an issue with the direction).

Technically speaking, with the exception of the fate of 2cp, they’re not really deleting content. They’re reorganizing it, overhauling it, outright reworking some of it. Most of what we have currently, will still be here, and we’ll have more replacing what we’re losing.

I understand the pain of watching something you like, change in a way that makes you like it less. I do, really. I watched it happen with Dead Space, I watched it happen with Gears of War, and Command and Conquer. However, would I ever go back and play the older games, just because the new ones took a direction I didn’t like? Absolutely not. Those memories have been had, and no more can be made that are worth having. You might have to get familiar with enjoying the memories you’ve made in this present format because its not likely you’ll get anymore, and lets say for example, they do somehow preserve a 6v6 QPC when the update happens alongside OW2’s pve content. Sure, people will play it, but less and less people as time goes on. It will ultimately become a barren wasteland. People already complain about the game being stagnant currently. I can’t see a QPC as we know it, surviving an extreme of current conditions.

“have been communicated”

That’s some spin a politician would say to weasel out of admitting who they have and haven’t informed.

It has not been communicated to people who just play the game.

Yes they are.

They’re deleting 1/6th of the players slots from each team.

If I snap in half 49 out of the 100 DVDs it is in no way excusable that “hey most of your DVDs haven’t been destroyed”.

No you did NOT!

You watched sequels be released that weren’t quite as good.

You can still play all of those prequels!

WHAT KIND OF ARGUMENT IS THAT!?!?

“I wouldn’t do it so therefore anyone else who does it just plain don’t matter” !?!?

Fewer and fewer people.

Though maybe you do mean “lesser” people, people who are less of a person simply because they don’t have sufficient group think. To you, is any individual is worthless, the worth of anyone is how they can copy a large enough number of other people??!?

That is not an argument against shutting down OW1 now that is an argument against NEVER making Overwatch in the first place!

Everything ends.

That in no way supports arbitrarily killing something early.

This is such an obviously bad faith argument.

The “hardcore” comp players complains about it being stagnant.

That says HOURS of playtime, not numbers of discrete players.

If comp players play for more hours they will be over-represented.

Even then, just by number of hours QPC alone is about one-third as popular as Comp.

Rightly so because they are all very similar and fundamentally at odds with Comp.

Comp inherently combined together all the ranks despite different ranks not playing with each other.

Anyone can find this information. Its not hidden.

I stated they’re reorganizing.

Thats an exaggeration and you know it.

Dead Space became an action coop shooter. Command and Conquer became a mobile game. Gears of War was milked after the story ended in satisfaction with the 3rd entry. The original fans of all 3 franchises were abandoned and betrayed. We can always go back and play those games, but it will never be as good as when it was new, and nostalgia is a trap.

Its not uncommon to end up creating more disappointment digging for gold in a mine devoid of anymore veins, but just dust of what used to be there. This is why I call nostalgia a trap. The game remains the same, stagnant, but you, the person, change. How you feel about something, changes. You can only relive a memory so many times before you cheapen it with pale imitations.

I don’t even know where you came up with this absurdity, but I won’t engage in this discussion beyond this comment. You’re coming at me in a way that is completely unwarranted.

Its being updated, not shutdown. Every update overwrites what was there before it. Some of it stays the same, some it changes. Buying OW2 is optional. The PvP content however, is just being updated/overhauled/reorganized, and as I’ve said, a lot more will be getting added, than is currently being removed. Exaggerating this reality does nothing but dramatize the discussion.

So you say, but I will make no such claims one way or the other, given I have no means of knowing what the playerbase actually complains about beyond the extreme minority of it that actually interacts with websites such as these forums.

Ok that sounds good but instead they should just revert to that October patch. Please don’t leave the game with a hog meta lol.

You know there is another definition besides it’s biological one, right? Literally just Google it and see for yourself.

That’s such a weird argument and frankly I feel like you know that.

Why would they look for something they didn’t know even existed?

You’re not thinking, that’s another obviously bad faith argument.

No it’s a perfect explanation of how it’s wrong to abuse the term “most” as most is simply “any amount more than half”.

No, Dead Space 1 didn’t change at all.

The sequels changed but the original game did not change at all.

I already told you this and your typical dishonest style you ignored this distinction.

Speak for yourself, don’t impose your personal interests on others.

Yet you post a further two paragraphs after you said that.

This isn’t an update, it’s a numbered sequel.

Yes and NONE of those apply here precisely because they are derivatives of the concept in biology.

This isn’t an evolutionary algorithm, this isn’t a memetic evolution, this is meaningless buzzwords that don’t prove a thing.

I’m not here to argue the semantics of the term evolution with you. Anybody else would’ve understood it perfectly.

I can see that bad faith arguing is apparently your MO though so we’re done here :v:

1 Like

He does this quite often. Everything he says is right and everyone else is 110% wrong on everything.

2 Likes

I’m sure Classic will also share a queue between both OW1 and OW2. Same servers and everything.

Of course I don’t say anything I know is wrong, only a dishonest person would do that.

So thank you for the generous compliment.

Though somehow I think you’d be proud of a large percentage of everything you say is knowingly wrong!

You keep copying terms that are used against you without caring what they actually mean.

People who play these modes do not care about balance. Removing options of play is entirely stupid and would cause more people to leave if you just keep restricting them and taking options away. It’s why they’re in the partial mess they artificially created.

1 Like