Don't buff Mercy. That's not what she needs

Yet you still want healer, that can use multiple aspects of their kits at once, to concentrate power. Rest of healers can mix healing, shooting and buffing team all together in different combinations. As Mercy, you only get to choose one and drop rest.

It’s not possible, for example, to shoot enemy Widow with pistol, while resurrecting her victim and boosting another teammate, so they can hold the line, until dead teammate is back.

It isn’t really a goal at this point

My play time is limited, and as such, I don’t often want to spend much time practicing things

I’d love to be able to do it predictably, but based on the results of my initial attempts to practice it, the time necessary to get there (dozens of hours, in my estimation) is not something I am at the moment willing to set aside for this specific purpose

I urge you to reconsider your “official” stance on Mercy. We all know that she badly needs a rework to work out the kinks in her design.

i kinda agree. i think that rezz is just limiting her. she could be so much more than she currently is if they just remove it, but no one wants to remove it.

like, no one wants to remove it. it’s the ability to bring back teammates from the dead! wow! amazing! clearly some way we can make this work! we can make it balanced!

and they did, at the expense of mercy’s overlooked potential.

1 Like

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I agree with you largely on the op, Rez isn’t great. But I am not fond of projection. For example, it seems logical and fairly obvious to me that mercy is meant to be, and was always designed to be an off healer by today’s standards, when looking at her launch with Lucio and zen.
This is not a popular opinion.

I dont know who “we all” is

“we all” certainly does not include me, or any of the many players who have stated across many Mercy threads on these forums that Mercy is fine as she is…with some (myself included) even saying she is in the best state she has ever been in

I know of only one truly successful rework, and that was Mercy’s…the others have been horrendously bad from my point of view.

Given that I think she is in her best state ever, and how horrendously bad I think the vast majority of reworks have been, why would I want a rework for Mercy?

I don’t think rez can be balanced as a cooldown ability, but I have full confidence that it can be balanced as an ult.

Mercy 1.0 did it wrong in three areas:

1: It was really annoying to play against because it had no proactive counterplay

This was a fumble right out of the gate, here. The biggest complaints about Mercy 1.0 before a certain streamer started a witch Hunt was that when Mercy rezzed, there was nothing you could do to stop it once it started.

This is an easily fixable issue. Just add a LoS check/cast time (and for the love of Jeff, revert that old i-frames buff!)

2: It wasn’t useful in higher elos

This one’s because keeping allies from dying in the first place is way more valuable to pros than trying to reclaim momentum that you’ve already lost.

Easily fixable by adding a healing component to rez so that it’s more flexible and proactive.

3: It “incentivized” “letting teammates die”

This one’s actually more the dev’s fault for a lack of foresight when designing Mercy’s kit, rather than the players.

They made a primary healer with NO “backup heals” to fall back on when her base healing was getting overwhelmed - unlike literally every other primary healer, who has some kind of secondary healing source on their E - and then they gave her an ult with NO way to help living allies and was ONLY capable of helping them after they died.

What did they think was gonna happen when a Mercy 1.0 player got into a spot where her base heals wasn’t enough to save a teammate, and her only available “plan b” is ressurection? Mug Ana for one of her nades?

This is again, a simple fix. Give Mercy an E ability that heals, in addition to the solution to problem #2.

I’m pretty peeved that the devs didn’t even TRY any of these blatantly obvious solutions to Mercy 1.0’s problems.

3 Likes

as I see it, the only solution to the problems posed by the existence of mass rez in the game was to remove mass rez from the game

I know of no other means to have accomplished this and still keep Mercy as an available character

I disagree with your assessment. Mass Rez was a flawed but fixable concept with the right adjustments.

Which further emphasizes the need to not be generalising in statements about a hero’s state. The only successful rework imo was Lucio , the subsequent balance changes are tweakable and not his fault imo, but the initial smaller aoe, more autonomy and better visuals imo is the best form of rework given

Mercy fails on most accounts imo. Less agency, no qol added, and only does better in GA which would have been a significant buff to 1.0

1 Like

i’m talking about rez as a whole. as an ability and ultimate.

it’s a limiter that the community and devs don’t want to let get rid of.

i’d still like to try this out, though. i kinda like what you did with the ulti.

not sure if it’ll stick, though.

idk.

I agree with your statement that they should have tried to amend mass Rez…however, I think the pull away from it makes mercy more viable since Rez itself is niche. The other stuff, is nonsense. Rez is niche and inherently not as open or applicable as any other ability.

Mass Rez could work for fun and giggles. But it would make mercy essentially soldier for higher play, outdated and not as useful as any other hero

You are entitled to disagree, np

I see mass rez as being nothing but bad, with no redeemable qualities whatsoever and ergo no way to configure it to be “good”

(gigglesnorts)

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I just…

Did you mean to make a pun? Because that made me think about my “reverse tracer bomb” comparison and I legitimately LOL’d at the mental image of Mercy going around sticking explosives to people in order to ressurect them.

1 Like

we simply disagree on all of these points, and I’m ok with that, np

twas unintentional

I actually think that Rez being a bit niche is what makes it overall balanced.

Mercy’s base kit is extremely generalist, and it’s useful no matter which map, mode, or team comp Mercy’s on. Having a situational ult balances that out.

We’ve all seen what happened when the devs tried to give Mercy a “universally useful” base kit AND ult… (shudders at the memories of the Moth Meta)

I’m fully aware that even adding a burst heal to the ult wouldn’t completely alleviate rez’s “niche” factor. But I don’t see that as a bad thing, since I believe that’s the correct solution to making Mercy feel potent without being a must-pick.

2 Likes

Ive made a suggestion adding a burst heal as an optional use of the cooldown power currently only usable on a dead target. You use on a dead target, you get rez. You use on a live target, you get a burst heal. One or the other on a given use, not both

Yes, but a lot of Mercy players have said they dislike the rework simply because it makes her way less fun.