Don't buff Mercy. That's not what she needs

This is a thread for ideas to make Mercy more engaging, reinforce the fun parts of her gameplay to be even more fun (in a balanced way ofc), and make it more challenging to master Mercy overall.

Constructive criticism and debate is welcomed. If you’re just here to heckle, then you are not welcomed.

I don’t think rez is working out as a cooldown ability. It’s overpowered when it feels decent to use, but it feels like doodoo to use when it’s balanced. It’s cooldown is so long that it doesn’t add any real cooldown management to Mercy’s kit, and it’s tied up so much of Mercy’s power budget that the rest of her kit had to be hamstrung to make E rez work out. It’s a lose/lose/lose/lose scenario.

That being said, I think that as an ult, a single-target rez would be kinda underpowered. The Rez mechanic itself is already super situational, and it’s downtime as an ult is going to be much longer than 30 seconds.

(It’s crazy how currently you can rez, die, and have another rez ready by the time you finish hiking back to the point. That’s bonkers! I wanna have to EARN my rezzes!)

I’d prefer a lot more flexibility and more complex decision making involved in using rez, especially if it’s an ult. A higher skill celling, if you will. I’d also like a way for it to help living teammates, so that you don’t need to “wait for your teammates to die” in order to help them with a healer’s ult.

I propose that rez as an ult be treated like the inverse of Tracer’s pulse bomb: an itty bitty AoE (only a little bigger than E-rez’s range) that also sends out a burst heal. If it’s used without any dead teammates in range, the burst heal doubles in strength.

The idea I’m going for is to give players a choice between solo-rezzing that super-important ally, tempo rezzing 2-3 players to keep the fight going, or using the ult for it’s new “burst heal properties”.

As for the E ability, I’ve seen people float the idea of making Valkyrie a cooldown ability but I have very conflicted feelings about that.

On the one hand, it would be much faster to implement Valk as an E than making a new ability from scratch - all the coding, animation, and bugfixing for Valkyrie has already been done. Plus a lot of players have gotten attached to Valkyrie, so it would make sense to keep in in Mercy’s kit for their sakes.

On the other hand, I believe that Mercy’s E needs to fulfill specific criteria in order for the rework to be a success - and Valkyrie doesn’t fill any of them.

What I want for a Mercy E is something that gives her more tasks to manage in her base gameplay. I want it to offer the player new playmaking opportunities, and new forms of skill expression to master.

Since Valkyrie is an extension/mutation of Mercy’s base gameplay, I don’t associate it with any of the things on my checklist.

However! The things that make Valk appealing don’t have to leave Mercy’s kit entirely. I think that some QoL tuning to Mercy’s existing mobility could achieve the same effect as Valk’s flight… (in the hands of a skilled player).

Details on that
  1. Add a “contextual” option to Guardian Angel’s targeting system. This is a hybrid between the “GA prefers beam target on/off” settings, where Mercy flies to who she targets… But if she isn’t targeting anyone, Mercy is pulled to her beam target by default.

2. Slow down Mercy’s passive featherfall so it acts more like a glide. Mercy would then be able to glide between most platforms unassisted, and combined with her superjump Mercy could reach areas that normally would have required a teammate to be up there first.

I do have a specific E ability for Mercy in mind: something I call “Adrenaline Shot”.

Mercy selects an ally, then applies an adrenaline shot that lasts for several seconds. While it’s active, the target gets:

A Heal over Time effect
CC resistance. Status effects (cc, boops and stuns) still affect them, but they wear off much faster than normal.

The purpose of Adrenaline Shot is twofold:

First, to give Mercy a middle ground between-
“my healing beam is getting the job done just fine, everything is fine”
and
“oh god my base healing isn’t enough healing, everything’s going to hell in a handbasket TIME TO USE MAH ULT”

Every main healer added to Overwatch since launch has come with some form of “backup heals” to fall back on when their base healing is getting overwhelmed. E.g. Ana nade, Moira orb, Bap burst… I say it’s high time Mercy was updated to reflect the new standard for primary healers.

Second, add a counter to the rising tide of crowd control by giving it to the hero that was all but made for the job.

If anyone can cure nasty ailments like poison, blunt-force trauma, poison created from Mercy’s own tech, hypothermia and more, it’s the Angel Doctor Priestess Waifu.

Mercy is all the tropes that are associated with cleansing status effects rolled into one character. It’d be criminal to give a cleansing ability to anyone else!

If you’ve actually read this entire post, help yourself to an internet cookie.

18 Likes

I find Mercy balanced right now actually. I find she needs nothing but a fix to her Valk chains that constantly don’t stick.

20 Likes

i fully support making her single rez an ult. it just makes sense.
i’m sorry i haven’t read the whole thread as i am at work but i just made a thread as well talking about how GIVING players rez to use on a cooldown is what makes it near unbalanceable and is therefor holding mercy back as she is defined by her cooldown ability

3 Likes

I dont feel that Mercy needs any sort of buff, and especially not the huge buff being proposed here

9 Likes

Well, yeah. I know she’s balanced.

This thread is about improving Mercy’s gameplay experience, not about making her any more or less viable.

I want Mercy to get changes that make her more enjoyable to play without actually changing her overall power level.

5 Likes

I don’t know how to do that without changing her fam and that can be for the worst. How do you make one more “enjoyable” without changing the hero balance wise? Thats the issue.

2 Likes

I agree, Mercy needs some further changes without making her overpowered. Resurrect still doesn’t fit right, a powerful ability that restricts mobility (one of Mercy’s strengths), freely given every 30 seconds and at the start of a round. Valkyrie improves Mercy’s own survival but not really for her teammates (when compared with other healer ultimate abilities), not to mention takes away much decision making potential. On fire is way below average, but at the same time fits with Mercy’s current state.

It’s going to be incredibly difficult to change the hero without making her overpowered on her current kit. She needs a bit more than a few tweaks, and this might become more apparent when 2-2-2 has played out for a while in the live environment.

1 Like

Why is there a need to touch a balanced character? Fun is really subjective, a character cannot be balanced around it.

7 Likes

I always felt a huge quality of life improvement would be to do something about her pistol/staff situation. Swapping is super slow and people will die if you even bother to try. Even ignoring the Stigma against being called a Battle mercy it’s funny she’s the only support not allowed to do any dmg.

Seriously given her healing has been nerfed why not let her have her gun out at the same time? Let her “lock” a beam on and swap to her pistol without breaking the beam. She’d still need the staff to pick a new target, but once locked on more free to really use her abilities.

1 Like

I just want rez to be removed at this point. I don’t think that it can be balanced in a way that lets Mercy be a fun, engaging and skillful hero.

3 Likes

No

More

Mass

Rez

9 Likes

A single target rez with a relatively low charge cost and reduced cast time would be good.

1 Like

I define “enjoyable to play” by three points:

Agency: I want to have a say in how the match turns out. I want what I do to have a direct, tangible impact on the match because of when and how I did it. I want to be able to watch a replay of my match and go “yeah, my action here was the reason we won/lost that fight.”

Pursuit of hero mastery: in other words, I love high skill ceilings, and the challenge of learning abilities with a lot of complexity and different tactical applications. Telling me “oh this hero is crazy complicated and only a master of strategy can use them well” is only going to make me more interested.

Playmaking opportunities: Basically the “OMG did you see that? This is totally going in the highlight reel!” factor. High points in gameplay that make you feel like Hot Stuff for pulling it off, and inspire you to play the hero more to get that feeling again.

Mercy’s in a spot where she’s balanced and viable, but the stuff that makes her viable is sunk into abilities that are so team-dependent that it’s performance is almost completely out of the Mercy player’s control.

That extreme lack of agency causes a domino effect of a low skill celling (since you can’t practice what you can’t control) and the complete absence of a “wow!” moment.

So yeah, Mercy’s balanced. But she isn’t exactly riveting to play anymore.

7 Likes

Taken to the extreme, this argument would allow for a balanced hero that literally does nothing but provide their team with a passive bonus (e.g. 20% damage reduction). There must be some middle ground where fun actually does matter more than (temporary) balance, despite it being subjective. I say temporary because it’s always possible to tweak balance, given enough time.

3 Likes

Yeah but taking all of what you said into account, how do they do this without changing her to be unbalanced? That is my question. What you ask for technically screams a rework in ways and that usually never ends well.

How does one incorporate her “fun factor” without making her OP or completely useless?

2 Likes

Thing is…she is riveting to play, for many of us

Just as she is right now

5 Likes

The community is open to changes about Mercy but what people doesn’t want if to buff her and keep the same braindead gameplay that she has.

While I think Valkyrie is a good a idea is horrible implemented and right now with the addition to Brigitte doesn’t feel really unique.

Changes are welcomed as I said but personally I will never accept Mass resurrect as a way to " balance "mercy.

Exactly, I find her fun as well. It’s weird. It’s either you do or don’t.

3 Likes

Well, I personally find her fun. In fact, I only started playing her once she was balanced as that is when I found her “fun”. I never did before hand. Sure, she does not get PotG too often, but neither does Ana but that does not make it any less amazing for when I do get it. It shows that I must have really did something in order to shine which shows it took work.

2 Likes

Rez has been nerfed so hard, it’s actually an anchor for Mercy. Since mass rez isn’t coming back, rez should be removed and Mercy should be given something else.