Director’s Take: Addressing Unapproved Peripherals on Consoles

This is really a question of accessibility. If they banned peripherals it would alienate some in the disabled community. So support is a no brainer. It’s honestly more of a surprise this wasn’t adopted at launch.

1 Like

[quote=“CultofZAL-1383, post:23, topic:895790”]
https:// www .playstation.com/en-ca/support/hardware/keyboard-mouse-ps5/
[/quote

you can’t use kbm on ps5 as a game control input device without tricking the system, lol. you can type words more faster in a chat window. that’s what they allow.

1 Like

Microsoft and Sony sell official controllers to help disabled gamers play. Not entirely sure about switch. So they have these official controller setting mapped out and could tell the difference between a regular controller versus a pro controller in the system settings.

So using xim or a chronos device is just blatant cheating and inexcusable at this point.

4 Likes

No it wouldn’t, because disabled players doesn’t use M&K to begin with as it’s less ergonomic in design versus a controller. They don’t use Xim Matrix etc because Xim Matrix is just for M&K emulation. There are peripherals specifically designed for disabled gamers who are authorized by Microsoft. Even Sony have peripherals specifically designed for disabled gamers. They wouldn’t alienate any disabled gamers as those peripherals are already authorized and official products for both consoles.

Thanks - I wasn’t aware of that. I live in fear of developing arthritis in my hands as I get older and have been thinking about exploring other input options should that come to pass.

Or getting cyberhands. Those are coming out soon, right?

Why not add console players who want to use keyboard and mouse to the PC player pool and vice-versa.

I’m in the same situation, as my mother has both arthritis and fibromyalgia, both are passed on, and i’ve already developed signs of both, but we don’t have to worry as both consoles, as well as PC have official peripherals for gamers in that kind of situation.

As for cyberhands that are just as good or better than our original hands hmmm… I’d chop mine off for a pair of those! :laughing:

Oh and i also called it last month actually that the Xim bans were coming.

2 Likes

This is absolutely great to hear.

I’m a little concerned however that you don’t think it’s a problem at metal ranks… Maybe not in every game - sure, but I quite regularly come up against ximmers and I can only assume they get to GM and champion by climbing through the ranks with m&k.

Anyways, still positive news so bravo.

1 Like

About time this happens. I know players who have admitted using adapters for mouse and keyboard in the game chat. They literally saying “buy an adapter for 100$, or stop complaining”. I’ve reported, but nothing happened.

2 Likes

Good riddance to the cheaters. They deserve their bans.

But it would be nice to be able to play with keyboard and mouse in the PC pool officially. I wouldn’t do it - I play with PC-using friends so have to play in the PC pool already - but I’m terrible at Overwatch and don’t mind using a controller. There’s no technical reason not to allow PC pool + keyboard/mouse on console and it would make the game a lot more accessible for people who want to play at a higher level.

It’s also beyond maddening how hard I find it to type in the chat log (I have a separate keyboard for conversation only but I have never mastered the half dozen button presses required before typing is available). If keyboard/mouse is never going to be allowed on console anyway, can you just let keyboard text go straight to the chat log like it does in most other games, please? Or a single button press on the keyboard to bring up the chat log and start typing? I want to join in the banter but can’t manage more than voice line responses!

2 Likes

Well, it is about time.

Lets goooooo. Honestly a game changer ! Definitely will invest more time in comp after this change ! I’ve seen a huge rise in qp and diamond rank ximmers. I hope you will target xim users in all ranks. I don’t think it’s fair to any rank to deal with cheaters :heart: Ty blizzard

2 Likes

Word, about time they actually addressed this instead of suspending the frusterated players that used “oh no, naughty, very bad words”

But with saying that, what kind of safeguards are they taking to be able to detect users that actually use the keyboard to play the game as opposed to other users that only use a keyboard to type in chat?

Or should I to assume this is not a thought they had with their spaghetti coding and near-sight approach before implementation strategy?

I’ve used the same Logitech keyboard since the PS2 era.

It’s ok to lock this topic. It’s just the last one who talked about it :slight_smile:

Finally, cheaters are gone. The console will be safe now (ok, we wait the next season) but I’m happy to see this move ^^

Well, more to the point of using xim on consoles in cross play lobbies, not actually using xim ON pcs themselves.

We’re gonna have plats in top 500 if ximmers have to play against M&K

Can’t bloody wait to rock this game with kbm on my Xbox! Finally!

The xim ban/sandbox is nice! But playing so much overwatch in the pc pool because of friends i have kind of not cared to much recently. But the news of potentially adding native support is huge for me. I wont cheat, but i want to use mkb, and because i know im looking at a long learning curve i have to talk myself out of buying a game pc almost daily. I would love to only be dropping a couple bucks to get the mouse keyboard and continue gaming on my platform of choice. Please go forward with native support blizz.

This is fantastic news, but in regards to this statement:

The first time a player is detected, they will be restricted from Competitive on console for one week. Players will still have access to Quick Play during this time, and if they cease using the unapproved peripheral, the restriction will eventually expire, and they will be able to resume playing Competitive.

This statement implies that they will be allowed to continue cheating in QP for a week, for both console and crossplay PC lobbies. Why do you not remove the aim assist at this time instead of waiting for “continued use”? Otherwise you’re basically saying its fine to cheat in QP as long as you keep making new free accounts.

4 Likes

I’d like to know why it’s important for verified and detected cheaters to be able to continue cheating in QP lobbies for a week.

It’s been seven years. Why? Why give them a single second of destroying the integrity of the game?

4 Likes