Director’s Take: Addressing Unapproved Peripherals on Consoles

Dev’s reaction when I tell them OW accounts have always been free to make on console and they don’t even require a phone number

1 Like

thank you.

now we need anti-cheat for this game…

1 Like

Absolutely not. Blizzard has done well to keep PC players off console platforms. Many console players don’t want to have the victory over Xim soured by an influx of third party cheat software and DMA shenanigans, in fact that’s why many choose closed platforms like consoles in the first place

1 Like

:partying_face:

This is a massive celebration event tonight because we have finally a MASSIVE community problem that they have put the spotlight on and saying “They are trying” and coming up with this.

Im STOKED!

2 Likes

Definitely. Ximming below Plat was rare. Above Diamond…EVERY GAME.

1 Like

actually starts in gold ranks.

That sounds good at first glance, but doesn’t actually mean a whole lot. Player reports are not definitive and are easily abused. There would need to be an actual way of detecting this to do it right.

Otherwise this is just more mob rule with the automated report system.

1 Like

This is not what we want on pc. We do not want to play crossplay with console. It just leqds to laggy lobbys… pc and console should have stayed seperate units, especially balance specific

3 Likes

Soldier 76 and Ashe one tricks in high elos on console are about to disappear lmao.

1 Like

Nah, not really. They were always rare in low ranks

Overwatch has favor the shooter netcode so if consoles have a worse connection then that would be to their own detriment. Although I doubt the latency of a console is any different than PC unless they are on wifi. In which case it is barely any worse and PC people could also potentially be on wifi.

Afterall consoles are just locked down PCs with walled garden software (games).

1 Like

Using XIM has always been against the rules. People who used it were actively cheating. That is banworthy.

Overwatch later forcing them to play fairly only against other M&K users without aim assist is not cheating, and therefore not a bannable offense (Though you are season banned from competitive for doing so)

while i understand the sentiment, keyboard and mouse support should be on console, because otherwise this is a very slippery slope. because the premise of “unfair advantadge” is extremely vague. Elite controllers have extra buttons, which is by default an unfair advantadge, high refresh rate monitors are an unfair advantadge.

i get wanting a fair playing field, but this can catastrophically backfire

1 Like

However, if the use of the unapproved peripheral continues, not only will the player be restricted from Competitive on console, but they will be forced to play with other mouse and keyboard players when playing in Quick Play for the entire season.

Wow dumping console cheaters into PC lobbies? How nice of you. I don’t care if they have assist disabled. It is unacceptable to put cheaters with ppl who are playing fair on their own platform.

how about just ban them instead?

I think the reasoning here is more to do with:

“These people ahve been knowingly cheating for a while now”
vs
“A user just bought one of these devices and didnt really realize it was considered cheating”

While the latter does seem a bit sus, I could definitely foresee these devices largely being advertised and seen as simply a way to play on console with mnk without thinking of the implications involved that its giving them an advantage.

That said, what I really dont understand is why the post-S11 punishment involves giving them free permission to continue cheating in QP for a week at a time.

1 Like

Many players have reported crappy match code and laggy games especially in context with console crossplay lobbys. Just give pc player the option to op out of ever being put in those crap lobbys

If I had to guess it’s two fold:

1. Their detection might pick up people using legitimate peripherals for a disability. This gives them time to appeal and get their control system authorized.
  2. They want people to clean up their act rather than outright ban them. This gives people time to prove they can change. Or not change and get banned.
1 Like

This is great for GM/500 and will even the playing field.

However, Im seeing a lot of people that thinks they are going to climb higher ranks now due to this.

Im sorry, but beyond the GM/500 very few will make a significant rank increase. Thats not whats holding people back in the lower ranks.

Again, this is great for the higher ranks and will improve our match qualities. Looking forward to it.

4 Likes

Imagine ever addressing the insanely bad matches that this game creates, or smurfs like… ever…

1 Like

Correct.

It’s just repackaged PC Elitism argument for 2024.