The Competitive Bugs Megathread

Ok thank you. Honestly it’s the first game where I see so many problems, it’s sad because we’re not talking about a small company. The grind is already not really interesting… I’m not obsessed with the leaderboard, but I imagine that logically if I don’t appear there, I wouldn’t get the rewards at the end of the season either

1 Like

Indeed, this is an old guard company worth several million dollars and is responsible for multiple culture defining franchises. There really is no excuse for their poor management besides potentially executive interference. Believe me when I say there is fewer worse feelings than knowing you earned the highest possible rank rewards but being denied of them. That’s the whole reason I and everyone in here has maintained this thread for so long.

And luckily for you I managed to find one of those threads for you: Career Profile Stats (Console): What's Wrong?. I’d encourage you to post there to try to revive that thread. I know for a fact at least one other thread about this issue exists, but I’m not sure where it is. I wish you luck in finding them though.

Edit: It appears I was right about there being fewer worse feelings. After five months of submitting helpful update tickets to Customer Support regarding all of these issues, my account just received it’s first warning. There was no mention of them ever reading this thread in that warning, no mention of the missing Top 500 rewards for Season 36, nor was there any mention of any of the two dozen bugs currently plaguing competitive. Nothing other than to stop sending updates as there’s nothing you can do.

I wish I had the words to convey the sheer disappointment I have about the state of this game and this company.

3 Likes

What did they say? Why did you get a warning?

1 Like

Thank you for the link I will post

I receive a message from support, but I have like 80 games, ok maybe not all on Europe if I play the night but I dont think this the problem
I
"I’m Game Master Broldnir, and thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your ranking in Overwatch 2.

Customer Support does not have access to your game histories or even your current rating, so we cannot verify whether or not you are eligible for a top 500 position.

However, I can confirm that the presence of an authenticator or a phone number is not required on console, the number being required only for the top 500 PC.

Beyond and regarding the accounting of your games, note that at high odds you can find yourself in games of other regions at low traffic hours, and that they would therefore not count for your top 500 in the region. Europe. Certain parts can also be invalidated in the event of cheating by certain members, for example.

We therefore invite you to continue playing even if you think you have already played 50 games, you should unlock the top 500 once you have played 50 games in the Europe region.

I thank you for your patience and wish you a pleasant end of the day."

1 Like

I don’t mean to discredit anyone here if they’re having a legitimate issue, but I can’t help but notice a lot of people around here simply don’t understand that winning 5 games doesn’t automatically guarantee a rank up.

I also find it a bit curious that everyone I’ve come across claiming they’re experiencing these wild bugs preventing them from climbing have either private profiles, or very normal looking profiles that don’t even remotely reflect their claims. People are claiming they’re dropping down entire divisions/not climbing despite insanely high win rates, randomly jumping between bronze and GM and whatnot, yet it’s all just words.

You would think at least one of those people would actually be able to back up those things, either with their profiles actually backing up what they’re saying, or with a clip. Surely at least a few of the people experiencing these insane bugs have the capability of capturing clips of their games. Jumping from bronze to GM or dropping down an entire division sounds like a pretty clip worthy event to me.

If any solid proof exists and I just missed it then please let me know, but until I see it, I think I have a pretty good idea why Blizzard doesn’t seem to be addressing it. Anyone can make up any number of wild claims, and we all know how salty people are about being unable to climb. Seeing a bandwagon of “bug” reports provides those people with the perfect scapegoat to throw the blame at. The “I’m bronze but I deserve GM” statement is older than time itself, but it seems it’s being replaced by “my rank is bugged”.

1 Like

To Żœy: It’s the 18th Blizzard Customer Support ticket response, which I’ve updated to the thread, but I’ll copy it here too for others who haven’t read it yet. This whole situation is just so unbelievably frustrating.

If being threatened with account deletion is the reward players receive for providing help and updating their issues with relevant information to the department, whose sole function is to receive up-to-date information regarding player issues and to fix them accordingly, then there is absolutely no purpose in the existence of this department.

(18) - 2/27/23
Greetings,
Account Name: Azdyph#1127
Account Action: Warning
Offense: Violation of Customer Support Interaction Policy
The account listed above has continued to ticket in appealing our decision on a matter. At this time, we must ask you to adhere to the outcome we have provided. Repeated contacts about this situation can result in severe penalties for this account.
We understand that accidents and mistakes can result in gameplay behavior that isn’t perceived as ideal. Customer Service as a whole, from individual customer support agents to global directors, do everything in our power to deliver an ideal experience. However, as with every job, there are policies and procedures in place to ensure we’re upholding the intended game design. Many of us are avid players of our products as well, and we understand why you’re asking for a different outcome.
We would like to make it clear that the resolutions you’ve received will be the only one we can offer as a business. While we understand, and welcome, additional contacts that further clarify a situation, there comes a point where the outcome we’re providing is the correct one for us as a game studio. At this point in time, we’d like to make it clear that we will not be able to offer a different solution.
Continuing to submit tickets appealing this decision may result in penalties being applied to your account, up to and including account termination.
For more information, please review the Battle.net End User License Agreement.
Battle.net End User License Agreement: http://blizzard.com/company/legal/eula.html
Thank you for your time and for your understanding in this matter.
Regards,
Customer Support
Blizzard Entertainment
Blizzard Support

To Benzema: I appreciate you keeping us up to date. If the past two seasons of this issue prove however, I don’t think this is an issue anyone except the Devs can fix.

To Clarence: I agree, there has been and still is a ton of confusion around the new 5 win 15 loss rerank mechanic, which I’d argue is a direct product of its intentionally designed obscurity. Not personally experiencing these bugs however, is not proof that these bugs do not exist. As for being able to show evidence of these issues however, many of these players experiencing rerank bugs are also experiencing career profile bugs, which I’ve made a list of above if you’d like to read more about it. Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but the bug forums does not have any multimedia functionality except for imbedding links to file sharing websites. The majority of these claims seem to exist on the bug forums and Overwatch subreddit, and a quick google search pulls up these if you’re interested:

Looking into this more, its quite strange how there’s so little video evidence of this bug despite the sheer number of players regardless of skill or experience encountering this exact same scenario. Not being able to see your rank in the career profile page before the rerank animation screen plays might also be an important factor. I’ve yet to encounter anyone in this forum who has jumped from Bronze to Grandmaster or vice versa however. I do agree with your last point though, there will always be those who judge their skills to be greater than they have proven themselves to be, but in my opinion, the replacement of the SR system with the subdivision system combined with the 5 win 15 loss system and atrocious career stats tracking and matchmaking only makes these and other issues harder to prove and disprove.

1 Like

Lol its very sad what he said in the ticket

I try to keep playing after he think I dont have 50 games in my region

But I am almost at 100 so yeah, we cant fix the problem, it’s their job

Btw about the new system, I do 5 win and 5 loose and I stuck D3, hopefully I not derank

1 Like

Bugs and disappointment have a habit of plaguing this game it seems. So many players experiencing issues and even the department whose purpose is to fix, if not at the very least address, these issues, ignores and then threatens us to get us to stop responding about these issues. It’s maddening.

Edit: After checking my ticket status, it seems they went beyond ignoring and threatening me to stop responding. They legitimately removed the ability for me to respond to those ticket. Unbelievable.

This just happened to me for the first time yesterday. I won 5 games as Plat 3 where we did extremely well (I can tell when we’re playing like clowns vs when we’re performing really well), and it showed me ranking up… from GOLD 3 to gold 1.

You’re asking for proof when clearly nobody here but Blizzard can dig into the ranking logs to show you the concrete intended result vs the actual result. All we can do is state the number of games we won, that we were performing on this level, and that this peculiarity occurred. What proof were you expecting? Even if someone showed the animation of the wrong division ranking up, it would be easy for you to deny it by saying ‘oh it’s just the visual that’s bugged and not the ranking’, because neither of us has access to the back end as customers.

Unfortunately, based on the responses I’ve seen people get to their tickets, the customer support don’t even seem to bother to forward the issue for the devs to look into. They just respond that they–the customer support–can’t see the player’s ranking history, too bad, case closed.

I don’t doubt that there are people crying wolf, but you know that saying about where there is smoke, there is fire? It’s suspicious as to the sheer number of people experiencing this same lineup of issues, and even more that there has been no official response for an issue reported legions of times (just do a search for rank bug to be buried under the results) in this forum dating back to launch.

*Edit: After thinking about it some more–why on earth would we have to prove anything to you? What were you going to do about it? This is like if I brought my car to the mechanic and said, ‘The brakes are failing once I hit this speed,’ and another customer said, ‘Prove it to me first.’ Why? Blizzard devs will investigate–SHOULD investigate–to keep their game working properly, and they will find whether or not it’s working as intended, and hopefully should fix it if it’s broken. It’s not for any customer to say ‘prove it to me’ to another customer, as if they can do anything about it.

3 Likes

There’s hundreds of people streaming the game at any given time, and overall, the total number of people streaming on a regular basis is likely in the thousands. I’d assume somewhere in the tens of thousands record their games or capture clips. The kind of proof I would expect is just a clip of someone queuing into a game as Plat 3 and at the end being “promoted” from Gold 3. Some of it would undoubtedly find it’s way to Noobhunter or similar clip channels.

Even a career profile that actually reflects the claims would be something, but so far the only ones who had public profiles also happened to claim having their profiles conveniently also bugged, showing “incorrect” information.

People love jumping on a bandwagon. With the sheer number of people experiencing this you’d also expect a sheer number of tangible proof along with it. Usually with bugs on this scale there’s tons of it, but this time there’s nothing.

I’m chiming in after very questionable interactions with a few people claiming to be experiencing these bugs. You are obviously under no obligation to prove anything to me, I just think it’s unlikely to succeed with Blizzard if there’s nothing but claims so far.

I’d love to be proven wrong because if it’s a legitimately widespread issue, it needs Blizzard’s full attention. I just find it strange that there’s barely any mentions of it outside the forum, further pushing me towards the bandwagon theory. An issue as massive as this just seems to me would be getting a lot more recognition, and have tangible proof of it happening.

Let’s do some math:

Over the past 30 days, Overwatch has had 4,739 Twitch streamers. (streamscharts. com/ games/ overwatch-2)

Over the past 30 days, Blizzard supposedly has had 24,789,292 unique accounts playing Overwatch. (activeplayer. io/ overwatch-2/ → see middle of the page for monthly stats)

(Links are weird because it wouldn’t let me link-- just remove spaces)

This comes out to 0.019% of the player base streaming on Twitch. What do you think the chances are of this fraction of a percentage overlapping with the percentage that genuinely experiences this problem? You seem to believe it to be quite high, based on your expectations. if you can, in your turn, prove to me that the overlapping numbers are high enough that it should be in a Twitch clip, and also prove to me that you can do something about it when I dig up said “proof”, then I may spend some of my free time googling for such a clip. Otherwise, meh.

As for the career profile, how would this “prove” it?? It doesn’t show any kind of history, just all-time high and low.

As I’ve said, I’m sure there are people crying wolf, but not all. For the rest of your paragraph, I already answered it above.

Dude. You need to realize that at least some of the people–if not all–posting in this bug report forum are not posting for your personal approbation or lack thereof. We’re reduced to posting issues here because if we try to open a ticket about bugs/ issues in Overwatch, they funnel us to this forum instead. The posts made here are for the devs to look into, and it doesn’t matter if another customer believes us or not. It’s ok if you’re dissatisfied with the lack of “proof” we gave you. The devs should be looking into their back end. We’re customers just like you and don’t need to put in work to try to prove anything to another customer, who can’t even do anything about it.

You’re honestly just being weird coming into this thread to call everyone here a liar when we’re not even talking to you, and don’t care if some rando player believes us or not. We’re trying to get the attention of the devs whose job it is to keep their game working.

3 Likes

Just got the notion that I ranked up at the end of five wins in role queue:
From Bronze 2 to Bronce 5.
What?

1 Like

Regarding the five subdivision demotion bug, the proof you seem to be asking for is a continuous video showing the discrepancy between pre-adjustment rank and initial rank of rank adjustment as well as the change between initial rank of rank adjustment and final rank of rank adjustment. The only way to view pre-adjustment rank is through the career profile and competitive queue menus. The competitive queue menu cannot be viewed until after a match or a rank adjustment. The career profile can be viewed in the middle of a competitive game, but the likelihood of a player doing that is unlikely. Given all of this, in order for such a video of proof to exist, a player would first need to start a recording from either the competitive queue menu or the career profile, then queue up and load into a game, then complete and win that game, which also needs to be the fifth win in order rank adjustment to occur, and then record the rank adjustment animation. Given how lengthy such a process this is, the unlikelihood that a player would do this without having first experienced this bug, and the unlikelihood that a player who did experience this bug would attempt to play competitive again, what are the odds that such a video not only exists but is also posted and made available to you to view? As for the possibility of bandwaggonning, that is also a possibility. However, given the sheer number of new posts made daily, the sheer number of players who promote these posts, and the specificity of the bug, in that the initial rank of rank adjustment is always exactly five subdivisions below the pre-adjustment rank, and that the final rank of rank adjustment is always a promotion above the initial rank adjustment, what are the chances that all of these players are being untruthful about this exact sequence of events?

As for being suspicious that you only see this bug on the bug forums, is that not the sole function of a bug forum? To give a few more examples, accounts with completely wiped career profiles, or inaccurately transferred career profiles, or missing end of season, Twitch, OWL, or Loverwatch rewards, are all bugs that are undeniably real that have affected thousands of players. However, the chances of finding posts regarding these bugs in any site besides the bug forums is extremely rare. This is not because there these players are lying about, ignorant of, or maliciously bandwaggoning on this, but because the vast majority of players do not make posts about their issues, and the few who do will post them on the only site that has a chance of getting their issue resolved, which is the bug forums. That is not to say that such players do not exist, but this being the bug forums, they are very much the exception.

Just going off what Faith said, ultimately, it does not matter whether you believe the hundreds of players who are experiencing these issues because these issues still exist and will continue to exist. That is, unless you happen to be a developer, or a developer capable of addressing these issues takes notice. As a player, the only functions you serve on this forum are to help other players with their issues and to promote posts with similar issues in order increase the chance of developers noticing and taking action against these issues. In that way, I suppose I must thank you for allowing us the opportunity to discuss the legitimacy of these issues and to help promote this megathread to others, whether they share these issues or doubts. Your contribution is appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you for putting in this crazy amount of work.
I really hope it reaches the devs and they can actually fix things and help us out of our frustration over something that should be fun! This reply is mostly meant as a boost but also als a thank you for the time you take to make this post and give all the answers you can find.

1 Like

i have a video link but i can’t post it apparently

he was plat 4, after 5 wins : new rank gold 5 to gold 1
but yeah he didnt record his career so some people here will not trust him, i found it on a french forum

btw, about me, I started to complain as a diamond 5 here, because the top 500 on playstation start at diamond 5, actually I am diamond 1 in flex, after more than 100 games and still not top 500

the first page start with master and at the end diamond 2

but they are not many players, maybe 4 pages, I have the impression that this list is full of bugs, in comparison the xbox list is full of GMs, so yes the playstation is not as skilled, but it seems abnormal to me

afterwards if, at the end of the season, the diamond 5 people have their top 500 rewards, they are really lucky, because we are many to be better ranked but not to appear

1 Like

To Stollentroll: I’m glad my efforts are appreciated, and I appreciate your contribution in spreading the word as well. I just hope the Developers too will appreciate and utilize this resource in addressing these issues sooner rather than later.

To Benzema: Could you describe why you can’t post that video? Is there an error when trying to imbed or link the video? Is there some form of restriction put on your account or is it an issue with the functionality of a forum post? I know it’s possible to link Youtube videos, but I’m not sure if there are other ways to link videos besides that. As for the bugged Top 500 leaderboards, it reminds me of the Season 36 leaderboards, where players who are eligible did not appear on the leaderboards consistently. The difference was that back then, it was random if and when players were removed, but now it seems like an issue with the code incorrectly categorizing player attributes before placing them on the leaderboards. Nothing we as players can do that though besides promote these posts and hope a Dev notices them.

Yes the link was not accepted on the forum

I upluad it

He was plat 4 I swear ^^
And yeah, the dev should look at the top 500 open queue PlayStation one time, it’s impossible to only have 37 players, I have many of my friendlist in Master that are not registred too, unfortunately like u said, we can do nothing

2 Likes

6 month later… Still no fix for the s36 top500 rewards.

1 Like

new patch
still dont care about this thread

1 Like

They don’t care about a lot of things that they should care for the good of players.

2 Likes