What is this random derank?

I didn’t lose 20 games yet it’s deranking me as I try to get my 7 wins? wtf is this?

I was Gold 5 and then after I got my 7th win, it took me from Silver 5 to Silver 1.

This ranking system is absolute hot garbage.

Couple that with these potato brain teammates or enemies and it just fkn sucks playing ranked. So pointless.

I really love it down in these ranks. No one knows wtf is going on and even if I do climb out of the rank, you guys will just derank me BEFORE I even hit 7 wins or 20 losses.

I can’t wait for you guys to fix this garbage joke of a system 2 WEEKS BEFORE SEASON 3 is over because let’s be real, that’s what’s going to happen.

3 Likes

Maybe if we’re lucky a matchmaker developer will come show us some graphs and charts as to why any of this make sense.

2 Likes

still waiting on that part 2 that will probably never come either

4 Likes

My bet is it will all be in MS Paint.

1 Like

Happened to me at least 2 times. I start the game and one of my ranks is lower. No new season and no 20 losses, especially not on that role.

I did a double take the first time because I thought I actually did derank somehow but nah, I definitely saw this one.

happened to me as well a few days ago, was S4 and on rank up it did B4->B1, climbed back up to S2 but I bet I am now due for again a long string of unwinnable matches to send me back down. I wish it was possible to hide all this rank stuff as it’s pointless anyways.

Ranking systems compare your performance with the performance of others. If your performance does not improve at a rate consistent with the rank of other competitors, your rank will decrease as they prove to be superior. Time and the popularity of the game is your enemy. It’s possible the algorithm might leave your rank unchanged, however I think it more likely ranks are periodically consolidated, perhaps in ranges around players similar in rank to yourself. This may lead to a net decrease in your rank, or a lesser increase to what you expected at any moment. The timing of the propagation of changes to you might be jarring as it is probably designed around overall performance than the consistency of the impression it gives you as you navigate statistics within the game, which may update or not arbitrarily at will.

That’s a visual bug in the ranking system. You deranked from Gold 5 to Silver 1. The UI is not working properly, it can’t show Gold → Silver so instead it shows your Gold 5 as if it was Silver 5.

The UI is broken, the rank change in of itself was probably correct. Admittedly kinda annoying, whenever I rank down to previous tier I also become momentarily super distracted to what just happened.

You deranked from G5 to S1, which isn’t that big difference.
You probably had lower stats in your later games.

Game showing S5 to S1 is a bug cause the game doesn’t know how to show higher rank to lower rank. I had the same.

1 Like

7 wins or 20 losses is just the cutoff points at which your visual “rank” gets changed.
If you went 7-14 you wouldn’t have lost 20 games but your ratio of wins to losses is negative so chances are your visual rank will go down.

You’re just guessing what it does. :slight_smile: But cool story bro.

Yes I agree the matchmaker is complete garbage.

This is most likely what happened.
Further, a skill “update” doesnt necessarily mean you rank up.

I see this almost every time I go to get my new evaluation. The rank starts at bronze 5 ( even though I’m in silver ) and then gives what may be a magic 8 ball result. I think when Blizzard attempted to fix the Bronze 5 bug they hard coded garbage into a function. If only their devs had the ability to step-over and step-into in their IDE and there were QA people involved in the process prior to pushing an update to production servers.

This just happened to me today!! I was Gold 4, hadn’t lost 15, hadn’t even done my next 5 for my rank update, and when i did, it demoted me down to Silver 4, and ranked me up to Silver 2? WhAt is going on? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Like how does that make sense. I get deranked before I do my placements whether good or bad? Is that a thing? Wth blizzard?:skull::joy:

EDIT: I’m back in Gold 5 now after my next few placement wins but I still don’t understand what happened. Was it just a glitch? Because clearly the system once again decided i was low gold after i did one more rank placement set :face_with_raised_eyebrow: how odd.:thinking: