Cole Cassidy is also the name of an irl person

It doesn’t. That’s why it’s not about that.

The employees wanted because it made them feel better about their work environment.

The suits liked it because it’s a relatively speaking cheap change to make that helps them in their union busting efforts. (They are making changes, so we don’t need a union!)

The customers opinion is secondary to that.

1 Like

This is 100% true.

Ah yes functioning adults who cannot parse their feelings about name of a video game character apart from a real person… sigh. Feelings… nothing more than… feelings… as the song goes. We need to encourage more of this kind of thinking.

1 Like

Yeah. Feeling better is always best at someone else’s expense.

You trip. You fall. I laugh. Understood.

2 Likes

They aren’t doing it to annoy you. And that it does upset you shows you know the name change is not meaningless. Both can’t win here.

2 Likes

It’s not meaningless to the player base since we been SOLD these CHARACTERS and relate w/ one another via simply discussing them.

It’s meaningless to the victims themselves to change an OW characters name.

Ah, so your feeling are valid but theirs are not. Okay.

You’re absolutely correct cuz they don’t GAF about the player base OPINION whatsoever

So like, it may be because of the cultures I grew up in… but I don’t see how someone’s name, especially a fictional character’s name, defines them.

I see this argument a lot, but I really don’t get it. They’re changing the name, sure, but he’s still the same character. He just has a different name.

Have you ever been in a work environment where a toxic individual left the company, whether they were fired or left on their own accord?

Because removing references to said toxic individual absolutely does help. It doesn’t fix anything they did, but it helps you move on and removes one reminder of them and what they did from your place of work.

1 Like

Response they made to a thread that lets people know even though it was a personal choice, they don’t want to diminish or invalidate the feelings of people that didn’t want the change.

Checking to make sure the name is good for all regions.

Telling people not to abuse the report system by reporting people that still want to use the name McCree, or else risk losing their account.

Looks like they care to me. Caring about someone else’s opinion doesn’t mean only doing what you’re told to do. It means showing consideration, which they tried to do while doing what was best for them.

I am sorry that you’re upset. I don’t like this had to happen either. I like the old name and will always like it. I will probably never fully view him as Cassidy.

But in the end, the devs did what was best for them and their work life. And I can’t fault them for that.

1 Like

We alrdy went over this. No I have not & neither has the OW Dev Team.

Blizzard is a huge Company and OW Devs were not holding hands w/ WoW Devs. Such is not Reality. No matter how hard y’all want such to be the case.

Nobody working on OW was a Victim necessitating a McCree change while those whom were Victims are not exactly “feeling better” about the workplace knowing some other Dev in the Company removed McCree from OW.

1 Like

Imaginary Fixes are always Best

Cole Cassidy is just such a bad name in this case… Joel McCloud, not great would still have been 20x better.

You will find that once someone has bought into the symbolic feeling action mindset there is no changing them. They get fixated on that one outcome, ignore all contexts and other impacts it has now and in a broader sense. People simply are not as smart as they once were, a side of effect of empathy without tempering with reason.

Is encouraging people to do things like look for a name change really healthy in the long run for them or ultimately society as a whole? I don’t think so.

1 Like

You’re talking about the entertainment industry, where everything is about both.

I don’t work for Blizzard, but I am a career game developer. Everything we make is about presentation. The best feeling we get is putting our creations out into the world, seeing people enjoy them, and being proud of what we contributed.

Having a character in my game named after some jerk we already fired, whether he was a jerk to me personally or not, certainly wouldn’t feel good, especially knowing that the public already knows all about him and why we fired him. The presence of that name would hurt the presentation and feel like an embarrassment we had to shy away from within our own product.

Changing it would be a tough call to make. Obviously it’s a name that’s been embedded in the game for years, and players won’t simply forget it when it’s removed. Imagining myself in Blizzard’s position, I wouldn’t be changing that just to serve the players; I’d mostly be changing it so my team can be happier in their image of the product they created.

2 Likes

Company parties and communication/interactions between teams exist.

a) You don’t know this.

b) McCree is still in the game, just with a different name.

1 Like

None of us were sold the IP rights, the creators can still do whatever they want with their fictional characters.

If you don’t like what they do, you can choose not to consume the media anymore. What you can’t do, is dictate what people make.

1 Like

If such was the case then obviously OW Devs wouldn’t had named McCree after a Sexual Predator in the Company.

I do know this……. Hence McCree existed in the 1st place

Plus it’s common sense that WoW Devs / Victims couldn’t care any less about OW character named McCree or would have complained to the OW Devs themselves which means McCree would never had existed to begin w/.

I’m allowed to voice my opinion in how absurd changing McCree name was regardless of your own input as well.

I mean, if Blizzard can only use completely unique names it’s going to turn into a Key and Peele skit…

Yes, you can voice your opinion, but stop acting like Blizzard owe you something.

2 Likes