Buff bastion please?

Exactly This. ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍

4 Likes

I disagree. Recon mode suffers from an extremely long reload speed more than the magazine size. Soldier reloads in only 1.5 seconds, but Bastion takes a full 2 seconds to reload what is otherwise a very similar weapon. Buffing Bastion’s reload speed would also solve a problem introduced by the rework: Bastion is no longer guaranteed to reload when changing forms. Bringing back that feature would make Bastion gameplay much more fluid and engaging.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea too.

2 Likes

Problem is the tanks tend to counter him instead.

2 Likes

the numbers on his damage is fine, his inability to hit anything past about 5-10 meters is the problem.

3 Likes

Give bastion slow movement in sentry mode! (he has tracks right?)

Bastion fixed, easy! (you can thank me later :wink: )

1 Like

I’d like that but it also just breaks his character. not balance-wise (maybe), but just that Bastion won’t exactly be Bastion anymore.

2 Likes

You are possibly right, but I think we are possibly just looking at the problem the wrong way in general. Almost all the complaints and limitations come down to him being utterly immobile while in sentry mode.

I am trying to think out of the box and maybe he does need a fundamental change like this to make him viable.

I’ve been playing Bastion if I can’t get Brigitte, all I can really say is that his Recon mode is actually really good for small targets if you can aim consistently well. I’ve had games where I had 21 or more eliminations and most were in Recon. One game I had 23 eliminations but 18 of them were Recon and the other 5 were Tank shots.

I think Bastion is quite strong as he is, just like any other hero though you rely on teammates for a lot of work to be done. If your teammates aren’t taking a fair share of the aggro then you’re either over extending yourself or your teammates aren’t being aggressive enough.

I almost always use Turret Mode to deal with Shields or if I have to use it as a last resort. Usually last resort fails because if I reloaded the Recon weapon I would have died anyway, so really I’d take the mobility over Turret mode when I’m dealing with low-HP heroes most of the time. Use the training course to get a feel of your aiming, that’s what I did and it helps a lot as Soldier 76 and Bastion.

Hey Zephyn, first I want to say I agree with you as far as recon-mode goes. I often go better with bast in this mode than I do with soldier (I lack discipline in bursting :wink: )

However, a large component of Bastion’s kit (sentry mode) is what makes him not viable in most situations and I think most of this comes down to him being immobile. Stack the shields too much and he becomes unkillable, boost the damage too much and people will find him frustrating to play against, give him limited mobility? This is something different that could also still thematically fit in.

• He could back away slowly if hes in trouble or the enemy is approaching
  • He could also roll in slowly while providing suppressing fire

Does this idea sound worthwhile to you?

2 Likes

My complaint isn’t that he’s immobile it’s that ironclad, increased ammo and the increased swap speed in no way made up for what they took from sentry and tank (the 150 armor was replaced with ironclad). It was a gigantic, net loss in power.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure.

I think a big part of the problem is how others perceive him as well. (You most likely already realize this, kind of like the cancel match on DC threads, you can see it from the perspective of the team with the leaver, but not from the perspective of the team they are playing against)

I think Bastion is a pretty polarizing character myself and some of these harsh nerfs are driven by those who face him. You obviously play Bastion far more than me and likely have far deeper insights than I do, but I am just trying to offer a sort of middle-ground. (Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees)

It would be nice if such massive nerfs didn’t have to come in, but sometimes it is hard to think of a viable alternative. (Roadhog nerf before breather buff and the complete removal of the original Avoid Player still sing clearly out in my mind)

Anyway I think we are likely on the same page, Bastion does need to be addressed and I think everyone knows it, it is just he is so polarizing and that there are few experienced Bastion players such as yourself out there that have awesome feedback that it is easy to be drowned out by everything else.

3 Likes

To be honest that’s a big problem, when his off mode is superior that his main mode sentry.

2 Likes

Well, I do have this thread:

That outlines some of his problems, possible ways to fix it, and just a rework I found that I think would be awesome too.

My opinion boils down to the fact that I want both recon and sentry to be fully usable modes independent from one another. What I mean is no mode is built to suck in particular. Sentry is built to suck vs everything but barriers or tanks. People may say otherwise but during the rework they literally said they want “recon to be his main mode” while at the same time narrowed what sentry could do to just mindless spam at barriers.

Sentry is supposed to be his damage dealing mode. What I mean by that is he is supposed to be able to shoot and kill all heroes the same in exchange for mobility and vulnerability.

Recon can be used for on the move damage but he is less vulnerable because he can move.

they should only be separated by mobility and damage, not “barrier busting”

3 Likes

That isn’t balance though. Bastion shouldn’t be useless without having teammates holding his hand.

And for someone that counters tanks, its mind boggling that he straight up loses to D.Va.

6 Likes

Exactly, It amazes me that when id fight dva a long time ago, I would be happy because id always win, she couldn’t do anything but now, with her shooting while flying, and missiles. She decimates you now. Roadhog used to be melted if he walked at you without cover. Now he can just walk at you with his damage resistance while healing. (Note that old bastion had headshots so it was really good against Roadhog). Its just gotten worse for him, but its time for a little help with the account of the new changes to the tanks. A hero should never rely on his whole team to be a NICHE pick. That’s not right. Pharah is good with mercy but is still good without her, you just need to have some set of skills to direct and such.

A lot of people have told me it’s hard to buff Bastion right now without breaking it. My thoughts? Decrease it’s spread moderately in both recon and sentry so it’s offensive capabilities can better compensate for it’s relative immobility and large hitbox.

Recon is fine, the spread is smaller than soldier. Sentry just needs to do reliable damage. Lower spread and headshots will help that out. It feels annoying that me being a machine gun is weaker than a fat pig walking at me.

1 Like

The funny thing is that even back before the rework bastion was pretty weak and all we wanted was faster transformation times. That’s it. We got a rework in a direction that bastion shouldn’t go and a nerf that killed the entire style of him. I enjoyed him a lot more back then.

• reduce spread by 50%
  • give sentry headshots back
  • remove Ironclad
  • ammo reduced from 300 to 200
3 Likes

Exactly. This. Please.

Maybe someday we will get a Blue Post?
Like all those Mei And Reaper mains, Who asked and got one Within 5. Hours.
-.- I’m not Salty? Who’s Salty?

4 Likes