Black Bars on Ultrawide Monitors

Many People reported this alredy…

I have Black bars of like 50 Pixels ob each side of my Montor.

Monitor: LG 38GN950
Resolution: 3840x1600
Windows 11
Nvidia RTX 3080
Nvidia Driver: 522.25

• Yes, my Game Resolution is set correctly to my Monitors resolution.
  • Yes, the Game refresh rate is set to my Monitors refresh rate.
  • Yes, the drivers was updated multiple times since release of the game.

It it working in every single Blizzard game before and was working in Overwatch 1.
Other related Post that all got ignored by blizzard, and still not patched:

21:9 Aspect Ratio vertical black bars

21:9 3440x1440 has 2 black bars on left and right

Ugly black bars on each sides of my monitor

Black bars when downscaling resolution to 1920x1080 @ 165hz

OW2 21:9 with Black Bars

Overwatch 2 not supporting true ultrawide 21:9

ultrawide not display at the correct aspect ratio

Samsung Odyssey G9 users

Ultrawide Resolution not working on PC

Ultrawide Monitor Support

Please add 32:9 support

OW2 aspect ratio bug

AND MANY MANY MORE… NOT MY JOB TO GO TROUGH BUG REPORTS.

2 Likes

I dont have an ultrawide to test this, but Ive seen this suggestion multiple times.

In the Video settings in OW2, make sure aspect ratio is 21:9

If it is, change it to another ratio, apply changes, and then back to 21:9, Apply.

1 Like

then we still have blackbars

I don’t know how things are today. But long time ago, it was introduced on purpose. That you have no advantages with ultra wide screens.

1 Like

Then I have to disappoint you, because we still have an advantage.

Here screenshots:
1x when set to 3440x1440 in 21:9:
h**ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Re-SQF7c5_hsLObTdt0AbLlXK8tkgRPa/view?usp=share_link

1x if set to 3440x1440 in 16:9
h**ps://drive.google.com/file/d/1gbqdQ-TX1GMoKoNaDo3dp2mwZxC8DmUE/view?usp=share_link

With 21:9 we see more.

As can be seen from this data, we are just short of 80px in width, 40 on the left and 40 on the right.

That’s a different issue, in OW1 the “ultrawide” was literally just a regular 16:9 format that had its top and bottom cropped up and UI readjusted, so playing on Ultrawide back then was a downright drawback.

In OW2 this is changed so the Ultrawide 21:9 is now actually true non-cropped Ultrawide - but the issue is that there are small black bars on both sides that means the display doesn’t fully extend to the edges. It’s a technical issue, not a gameplay integrity feature. Blizz staff know its an issue but have not formed any proper explanation nor fix yet.

Ultrawide 21:9 is still not filling the screen horizontally leaving about half inch gaps left right. this issue is still circling in other related bug threads. Please resolve this issue since OW2 21:9 is still not utilizing the correct pixel space in the horizontal aspect.