AVRL (Overwatch caster) on Mercy damage boost

While nice, it was proven too much during Moth times (and it was 60 hps)… But maybe it won’t be too much in 5v5 environment?

Either I don’t understand, or you don’t understand, so lets run an example (-;

let’s consider an Ashe and S76 blue beamed.

Ashe has base dmg of 75 with 650ms recovery time between shots.
S76 has 18 dmg per bullet with 9 bullets per second

so in a same window of 650ms Ashe shoots once while soldier shoots 5.85 bullets, lets consider 5 for this example.

Ashe shoots for 75 while beamed, now blue beam adds 22.5 dmg over X amount of time, cool…

Now s76 shoots his burst blue beam… It is 18 dmg per shot so blue beam adds 5.4 dmg over X amount of time to each shot…

While Ashe is easy, how it works on s76?

It is 5,4 that just each bullet keep refreshing duration on, or is it stacking with itself to a total of 27 dmg over X seconds.

That is fair, but I don’t think they want to make trouble for themselves.

1 Like

You realize damage boost has been problematic before them as well, multiple times, right?

Remember grav dragon? The entire meta designed around damage boosting hanzo ult and was so broken that they fundamentally changed the way damage boosting works?

Insert Simpsons Meme: “Is it Mercy that is the problem? No, it must be everyone else.”

2 Likes

I mean…hasn’t stopped them before lets be honest here.

2 Likes

I think Jeff Kaplan still drinks because of the Mercy rework.

3 Likes

I’m aware. I was pretty much the only person asking for 50hps in the first place, because of her healing per round.
Search results for '@GreyFalcon-11737 50hps before:2018-07-01 order:latest' - Overwatch Forums
Mercy/Moira Comp pickrates (PC)
http://imgur.com/a/8ILnH

And I was wrong. It had a lot less to do with Mercy than it did with LaunchBrig making it hard to kill things without instant kills, and LaunchHanzo being kinda busted, and just generally the DoubleSniper/GravDragon metas.

🕊 Maybe just give Mercy 60hps

GreyFalcon shared an interesting reddit thread about replacing dmg boost with a fire rate boost similar to Kiriko ult. I think it would probably shift the pocket target to heroes like S76 instead but it might solve the problem of dmg boost causing breakpoint issues with one shots.

1 Like

I read that and I like the suggestion, the issue is for heroes which already one shot, it just makes the problem worse :wink:

Like, most of the time one shots all the extra damage just overflows out, and you haven’t made them stronger.

I’m not sure, “Hanzo fishing for one shots faster” is something people will enjoy more than damage boost :wink:

3 Likes

Incidentally, I came up with another one a few comments ago in this thread.
Turn all of Mercy’s boosted damage, into DamageOverTimes, maybe make it actually be fire, similar to Ashe’s Fire.
Which would deliver mostly the same damage, without the instakill concerns.

1 Like

Well I think those heroes shouldn’t have a one shot to begin with :wink:

1 Like

No disagreements here, but Blizzard isn’t likely to be fixing that any time soon.

1 Like

There is more to that… Mainly it is a net nerf for her, and makes her feel bad to play in certain comps…

Oh and some players would rage on that since it messes with muscle memory on many heroes…

3 Likes

Ekhem sojourn railgun head shot now ekhem

but that needs to be nerfed anyways (-;

No that was my idea for replacing the dmg boost on Sombra hack! Well actually it was CoolUsernames idea but I just stole it :wink: .

1 Like

Well, that’s the thing.
I’m mostly looking at this as “How do we squeeze more value into Mercy’s equipment, without her being meta in Masters/GM/OWL”.
Which a broader goal of “How do we get more people to play Support? Overall Buff one of the most popular Supports in the vast majority of ELOs.”

i.e. “How do we buff Mercy in Plat/Gold, but not have it be strong in Masters/GM”

1 Like

I know… But I am just pointing out that it would still be ‘Mercy fault’ since she deals remaining 5dmg with her burn almost instantly… That is just this community is, so we cannot say it wouldn’t raise concerns…

The thing is, people will always be hating on my beloved Angela

Oh well, when the hater’s are unimportant to Blizzard’s business strategy, it’s not that big a deal.

Or a more cynical angle, Masters/GM haters may get the devs do do stuff.
Gold/Plat haters, probably will get ignored.

When mercy was reworked they wanted her to be more engaged. After the moth meta her rework was basically to “make gher more engaged”. Nobody asked for a mercy rework but x youtubers. Then they made a rework not balanced at all making mercy be; first the apache helicopter in test, then the rezzing machine, then nerfed more and more and more to the point mercy now heals less than in launch with a greater damage to face.

Im not against taking off the damage from mercy personally. Imtired of people wanting me to be their charge boost while they miss all the shots. I would change damage bost or discord for an increase of healing and mobility to adapt to the 5vs5 flanking scene.

Then after mercy is out of the equation we will talk about how a hitscan can be at the same time sniper with mobility.

4 Likes

Actually at launch she had 50hps. She was buffed to 60 when Ana was introduced.

1 Like

Well this is cringe. If we don’t have damage boosts in any form or nerf it to the point where it’s not good, then that’s one less utility to give supports. The only way forward would be to give supports tanking abilities once we run out of pure support utility and nobody wants this.