✅ BarrierTank variety would be good

Right now we’re are a point where at nearly all levels of skill there’s pretty much only 1 true solo-BarrierTank in the game. Reinhardt.

Which isn’t too bad, considering he takes a lot less coordination than Dive, and Orisa comps are relatively boring.

But variety is the spice of life. And good game design is all about creating worthwhile choices that are simultaneously unique and worthwhile.

So wouldn’t it be nice if every BarrierTank was good as a Solo-BarrierTank?
(Which opens up a whole large variety of offtank pairings, and solves the whole “Reinhardt queue” problem, and probably improves Queue Times).

Reinhardt

Barrier Field

• When two Barrier Tanks are on the same team:
    • Regeneration speed reduced to 125 health per second, down from 200.

Sigma

Experimental Barrier

• Barrier health increased to 1500, up from 900.
    • Regeneration speed reduced to 100 health per second, down from 160.

Orisa

Protective Barrier

• Barrier health increased to 900, up from 600.
    • Cooldown increased to 13 seconds, from 8 seconds.
    • Actively counting cooldowns are not changed, until they reset.

Winston

Barrier Projector

• Barrier health increased to 800, up from 700.
    • Cooldown increased to 20 seconds, from 13 seconds.
    • Actively counting cooldowns are not changed, until they reset.
2 Likes

I’ll never understand why people think Orisa is boring. She’s the definition of unmovable object when played well, what’s boring about that?

7 Likes

I had this suggestion as well! Because how else are we gonna balance Double Barrier because it will come back

Oh, so further limit the tank synergy making it so only specific tank combinations can work together

Sounds like a great idea

/s

She’s fun on occasion. But if the whole meta revolves around not moving around much, it slows the overall pace of the game down a lot.

That’s exactly what this is NOT for. How else can we balance Orisa Sig barriers with double shield without making their counters OP in all scenarios? This supposed to discourage multiple barrier heroes and actually give Orisahog time. No one minded that combo. But no one likes OrisaSig.

I’d argue it increases Main+OffTank synergy pairing choices.
(I.e. Orisa/Roadhog, Sigma/Zarya)
Or pretty much any main+off Tank combo that doesn’t involve Rein

And that outside of bizarre meta situations, double barrier was extremely rare up until about 5 months ago.

It increase variety for 95% of the situations, at the expense of a very rare 5% situation.

I don’t think Orisa is boring. IDK if it is the majority that thinks that way though.

I agree that this is the best “hero pick condition therefore hero action” solution for double barrier not to be oppressive when combined. Unless Devs don’t want a " hero pick condition therefore hero action" in the game.

It makes sense that it would be a working combo since both of them have defensive abilities with a CC ability and a strong shield

Either make it so only 1 main/barrier tank can be played and buff them or change nothing. Also a sig/orisa meta is maybe fun to play for some people (I hate to play it) but completely boring and annoying to play against, especially for dps so I prefer dive or rein/zarya instead.

I understood that in double barrier, but back when Bunker was a thing I don’t think mirror matches were required yet people did so anyways.

Orisa has a good shield uptime, but that’s assuming it isn’t getting destroyed. And people like to say Sigma’s shield is a piece of cardboard when it has the same health Orisa’s did before, so I don’t see why she’s boring outside of a double shield.

That is the outcome

One of the biggest issues with tanking is only certain combinations work, taking out the possibility of more tank combinations further solidifies this issue.

It gets rid of Main tank+Main tank combinations altogether. Thus further limiting tank combinations meaning if you want to play say Rein but the other person picks say Sigma, you are stuck with a crappy comp or playing a hero you aren’t likely as good at.

I think it should apply mid game. But there would be notifications to let you
Know that barriers will change

I like this suggestion much more than your previous. Cutting regen rates and cooldowns I think is a much better way of keeping the shields in check in a double shield environment while not just destroying the shields.

1 Like

It doesn’t get rid of it, we are simply discouraging it. How else are we gonna balance Orisa Sig, Winston & Rein have no problem.

No it doesn’t, Orisa+ Sigma would still have more barrier combined than a Rein, and they both have strong utility and damage.

So I’m gonna have to disagree.

It gets rid of barrier spam, but not the synergy that isn’t barriers.

1 Like

so what about if we have two hit scans on the same team, do they both get nerfed? or are we only doing this because we want to crap on tank mains even more than what is currently being done?

By punishing team that happen to run it

That wouldn’t work because Orisa would have a 600HP piece of paper that has a 13 second CD

You do realize this is after buffing barrier tanks that aren’t Rein by a lot, right?

“Net Balance” it’s an overall buff to Sigma and Orisa.

How is that even possible? They will get a better shield to solo in ALL GAMES. Omg sigma will actually be playable in Capture the flag!!!