Worst hero lore-wised?

Blizzard writing is a long string of missed opportunities and dead horse beating.
Rather than characters with no backstory like Lunara or Blaze I’d say the long running characters are the worst ones because of how many hands their character has passed through until it becomes and big mess.

Overarching Starcraft lore was always shoddy but with 2 it took a real nosedive, so I’m voting Kerrigan.

1 Like

I know, her personality do makes sense but you need to know her lore beforehand to link the pieces.
What bothers me isn’t the quotes themselves, but the fact that they could have put just a little more hint of her past without breaking the actual feeling of the character, otherwise she brings up the sensation that makes people say things like “She has no lore behind her whatsoever”.

I think I never said this to people, probably because saying good things about Qhira tend to make people angry, but for me she is one of the, if not THE, most deep felt characters in the game. Knowing that everytime she swings that singularity shard (I don’t know if that’s the real name, I’m translating it in my read) it probably feels like swinging the dissecated arm of your dead god, and she has to do this everyday.

2 Likes

The statues in Stormwind were of the heroes of the second war; Stormwind was sacked in the first war, and it’s people took refuge in Lordaeron in the aftermath. As Varian was still young, Anduin [Lothar] served as regent and head of the Alliance at that time. In the aftermath of the second war, Lordaeron played a hand in the repairs of Stormwind, but as the context of WoW established, much of the former region held by Stormwind split off and various other nobles vied for power in the aftermath. With Lordaeron then falling in the events of Warcraft III (thanks Arthas) the ‘Nobility’ played a bigger role in controlling affairs in the city then they would otherwise with a stronger, more experienced king.

To my recollection, the biggest issues with Varian is stories are told in WoW as one thing, and side-story comics tell them in another. In classic, “Varian” didn’t really exist, and come the Wrath of the Lich king expansion, he just shows up and the game pretty much acts like he’d been there all along. There was no “Hey, the king’s back!” moment. The big attention he got was when word of the comic came around and it became ‘canon’ that Varian got to kill Oxynexia, and the event was retconned in a way that jumbles the timeline of what players experienced at that point.

The important factor for Varian is that he became the face of the Alliance and fell back into the Orcs vs Human aspects that made the games in the first place. With cinematics playing a bigger role in storytelling, Varian got to star in some spiffy scenes and die a hero/martyr as a character that both tried to resolve conflict, but also didn’t shy away from battle when the time came. The other closest human character to get a similar amount of screen time, Arthas, is a sort of altered fates mirror of Varian, thus cementing the comparison between the two as icons of the Alliance for like 12 years.

With other alliance ‘leaders’ arguable being handled very poorly, there wasn’t really a worthwhile icon (minus Jaina) that really had the ‘face’ of the faction.

You made a good call keeping your mouth shut on that topic,
Half the forums think I’m nothing but a troll at this point because I’ve been open that I like the character, though I can admit a part of that is because she kind of reminds me of a character at the start of their journey that evolved into one of my all time favourites. That being Maria Torres from Trauma Team

That said I get what you’re saying, I mean hell I’m the guy trying to link those pieces with a fanfiction tht’s probably not at all what Blizz intended but I took a fine tooth comb to both her appearance and her voicelines to try and get it as right as possible.
I do hope we get some story with Qhira, I still hold firm stick her on a Mercanary team or something for a job she cna’t do alone with the Heaven’s Devils or get Orpheaor Anduin desperate enough to hire her or something.

2 Likes

Nope, not his statue. The statues in the hall of heroes are different to honor the dead are different from his special one he built after he came back. Total douche power move.

The cinematic themselves were cool, but you could have easily swapped any hero for a sacrifice moment, and they would have been just as poignant, perhaps even more so because Varian was a pretty worthless king. There wasn’t any thing “Varian” he did in those moments except I guess a sword split thing that we didn’t really know much about. Just plopped into a plot point that didn’t feel earned.

Yrel. She is a classic Mary Sue, who went from being a slave we meet in the first quest chain to being just about in charge of the Draenei in the space of of one zone. In spite of no one ever hearing of her before, she becomes the darling of Velen and Maraad despite having been a paladin for … a week? Maybe two? At the end of the expac, she is seen holding hands with the orc who was her mortal enemy because, why not? Yay!

She then goes crazy with religion and tries to kill a bunch of orcs. But no one seems to care, or even pay attention, because Sylvanas is a far more interesting character, and if we are going to hate someone, at least let them be interesting.

Yeah, some heroes may have weak or non-existent back stories, but at least they aren’t completely stupid like Yrel’s.

3 Likes

Öh, wir sind ein friedliebendes Volk zumindest seit 75 Jahren!

Hey, we are a peaceful nation at least for the last 75 years!

No offense taken :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Mad props to Erin Fitzgerald and the HotS writing team, because they inject a lot of life into Yrel. Having not played WoW since Cata (although having heard how disastrous Warlords was), I think they found the character the WoW team was going for, and actually realised it. Like, I could see HotS Yrel as a leader.

This is just more knocks against Qhira. Not only is her story lame, her sole personality trait is being a grumpy, smug tool who talks about how super-awesome she is while having literally nothing to prove it. Like, Yrel might have a garbo backstory, but she’s so sweet and genuine in this game that I can’t imagine actively hating her.

3 Likes

Qhira has two (hidden) voicelines with her sister. I think her story won’t get any further developed, due to her being so misconceived.

• Qhira: Of the trillion souls in our realm that could have survived… it had to be you…
  • Sister: (not available)

• Sister: (not available)
  • Qhira: You… are not my sister.
1 Like

The heroes with the worst lore at least for me are Probius, Blaze, Morales and Sgt. Hammer.
They existed in StarCraft as Units but didn’t had any Personality. They were retconned into SC2 after the release in HotS.

Ooof, and Iread that and all I can think is “wow more evidence I went in a different direction as blizz, oh well”

1 Like

After reading more about Qhira’s development, I know now, that the Devs had the Idea of the Chainblade and using it to swing around the enemies.
After that they created a hero around this mechanic. This is maybe the reaseon, why Qhira looks imho so uninspired and interchangeable.
For Orphea they went the other way. They created the hero (the rebellious daughter of the Raven Lord) and created a kit for her.

1 Like

Yea sorry friend! I tried to type more specific words but they were banned and probably for good reason! You’re more peaceful than us americans rn

1 Like

No Problem friend. At the moment we here in Europe look quite concerned across the Pond hoping for the best result for the whole world at the end of the year.

1 Like

Everyone so racist against Qhira. Is this the US forum ? :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say that’s the reason she seems uninspired or whatever

Back when I wrote a RWBY OC team one of the four characters started as a weapon (Dual chain whips that double over as concealed blades if you were curious)
And I can say with confidence that character was the best written out of the four of them
It’s all about what Why questions you ask “Okay WHY does this character favour such a weapon, okay why are they so good okay why why why.)

And well, given Development Hell Qhira entered the team haven’t been able to answer any of these questions.

1 Like

Do you know Dillon Gu? He’s a YouTuber and used to work with Monty Oum on RWBY for a decent time. Now he is producing his own short clips and fighting animations.

1 Like

I did not but you have given me something to look into for sure, thank you :slight_smile:
Rest in peace RWBY all I am adding to that topic, and it’s a shame I never got the desire to finish writing about team DAMD

1 Like

This:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-B06UJxJ20HYv15lzrm9mA
is his channel. Have fun!

1 Like

Morales was a medic turn traitor for what she believed in, how is that a bad backstory?

3 Likes