Unpopular Opinion: I like Orphea

But it’s not done well. I’m repeating myself, but we know nothing about Orphea. The only thing that could make us feel close to the character is her design, but her design is a “known trope”, so it doesn’t work either.

You’re mixing design with personality for some reason. Make up your mind bud.

You say it’s “not done well because we know nothing about Orphea”. Then you invalidate the trope because it has already been done before (you still haven’t mentioned the 3 examples I requested).

Every game has their cowboy character, their robot character, etc. They are tropes that will forever be represented because they work. Why does nobody bat an eye at those? Double standards much? To ask for a completely new character that has never done before ONLY so people like you can give it approval is so incredibly entitled I can’t put it into words.

I guess Orphea would be fine if she was a talking female siege golem that had wheels instead of legs and spat fire. Now that’s an amazing, unique and original design!

You just hate the fact it’s a little girl lol. The trope is done well, deal with it.

3 Likes

Google “dark anime girl”. It’s not that hard.

I’m okay with general tropes like cowboy, robot or whatever. But there’s a point where the trope is way too specific, and “young rebel anime girl with dark powers who doesn’t like to talk to people” definitely crosses that line.

And anyway, the anime style doesn’t fit into HotS at all. Atually it doesn’t fit Blizzard in general. I see you coming with your “well they decided it’s HotS’s style so deal with it”. You could answer to any complain about the game with “blizzard decided so”, but what’s the point of having a forum then?

The thing that bothers me most about that new lore, is that it was obviously stitched together with the random elements they had.
At game launch I’m pretty sure there were never any intention to make any form of lore. They just made anouncers and maps that sounded and looked cool. And now they took these elements and tried to make something coherent and cool with them, but it doesn’t work.
For a lore to be coherent, it’s best that it’s thought as a whole, instead of making a few cool things that don’t have anything to do with each other and then come up several years later and make a crossover.

Since the lore isn’t coherent or interesting, I probably will never like any character that comes from it, especially if these characters need to copy the unoriginal anime style to try and reproduce its success.

1 Like

I googled it, I see lots of art but not really recognizable characters. Do you see any?

“anime style doesn’t fit into hots at all” we bringing new stuff now that your previous arguments were proven to hold as much weight as a feather? This is just a character in a 3D rendition. The trope might be related to anime, but that’s as far as it goes. Anime didn’t invent gothic lolita fashion or bratty teens.

The lore is poor, yes, but it has to start somewhere. It is probably as coherent as the point you’re trying to convey here. I’m extremely confused as to what you specifically dislike but I know it is something. Hopefully I’ll figure it out in the next few posts.

So far you brought up lore, reused tropes, anime style, cliche, bad design and counting! Make up your mind. What are you scared of? It’s just a little girl.

3 Likes

HOTS getting its own story and characters is great, as this is the only game where we will see the Blizzard characters interact with each other. Speaking of Deckard, did you have a problem with him being added? You know, since he never displayed any form of combat ability in Diablo.

Same deal with Orphea by your logic. There are multiple characters from Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, and so on already…Stop being self-entitled just because Blizz decided to add an original character.

It was not Blizzard’s decision to add Orphea.

She added herself.

By force.

5 Likes

Deckard has lore… He is well known and established…

1 Like

You’re deflecting, I said nothing about the lore, I referred to your logic acting like Orphea wouldn’t function well in HOTS all because she’s not been seen, yet you seem to be fine with Deckard who has no combat ability as well.

1 Like

Hots team got bored trying to make everyone’s other favourite franchise hero fit a limited version that inevitably pisses off hard core fans. Blizz decided to make the design/art team earn their pay with something original. It’s not the end of the world.

1 Like

I love this comment so much.

9 Likes

lol, that moment when Blizzard feeds the trolls…

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

More like that moment when Heelsonheals writes something that accidentally makes perfect sense.

11 Likes

Not just trolls, the king/queen of them. That makes it reallllly bad

3 Likes

I did. Many times. So, there you are.

OMG I was thinking the same thing! lol

4 Likes

OMG Lana lol.

2 Likes

It’s like that time Hi-Rez put Cerberus into Smite and called it a god, but yea Orphea is our Annie with Tibbers in the coffin. It just works.

Also like that time they put Achillies, in SMITE too, as in… Achillies is just a warrior who helped win a fictional war.

Best God 10/10

2 Likes

Sure, you can like Orphea but outside of this game, no one knows about her. I doubt that’s good for the growth of the game. It’s not going to attract new players to play this game. I think she turned out fine as a hero, but it was disappointing for me to find out only Orphea was revealed for Blizzcon. Blizzcon cinematic videos normally have views that are in the millions. Orphea’s video is struggling at 245k and I have a feeling it will never reach 1 million because there’s zero hype around her.

1 Like

It’s not going to attract new players to play this game

You would be surprised.

After dozens of blizzard universe releases that failed to catch the attention of the casual player, who are you to say this one won’t do so simply because it’s not something to be expected from the blizzard universe?

2 Likes