Stuck at "Preparing game data"

Why is the preparing game data screen taking so long to load? I downloaded the update, and I have gigabit internet, so why is “preparing game data” taking so long, and only going 100-500KB/s? avg around 150ish.

4 Likes

have same problem- stuck not loading - Ah it eventually loaded - took about 3 minutes

Same result here. I just let it finish and it eventually loaded up like normal. It was super odd cause I wasn’t used to having to wait that long for loading popup thing.

At least it’s making progress for you. I’m stuck at 0 B/s

2 Likes

Same. 0kb/s 20 minutes in

Mine is downloading REALLY slowly like at 100kb/s which is VERY DISTURBING considering my internet is very fast!!! What is going on BNET!!!

It started working for me like 20m later lol

Hey there friends,

If this is still happening, let’s clear out the blizzard app to see if it helps.

Perform Steps 1-5 here after that do not reinstall yet but follow these additional steps:

1. Open file explorer/file manager
  2. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA%
  3. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  5. Empty the recycle bin.

If this does not help, please post back with a DxDiag. It can help us see what is going on if system based.

DxDiag instructions (click to expand)
  1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and then press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file something you can remember and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight all of the text and click </> on the post editor.

Note: If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can break it up into two posts, or post it on Pastebin and provide the numbers/letters after the .com in your reply.

Let us know if this helps or not my friends. :slight_smile:

/Nathardrick

5 Likes

It feels like this is happeningen every freaking time with Bnet client.

“hey you got a 5 mb update. It will only take about an hour to download with a 300 mbit download speed. It is just too bad your friends are ready while you’re stuck”

Not to mention the constantly bugging launcher that crashes every second time.

Working fine for me now. And I never really had any problems with this before. If this is happening to you every time, then it might be your pc/internet

lol. you must be new here.

standard blizzard update

1 Like

hi there, got same problem … i am on 1gb net speed, and 0KB downloading while preparing game data… stuck about almost hour, clearing bnet files, as discribed, not helping.

up: minute after posting this, it suddnely starts to download normaly :smiley:

It looks like our engineers are aware of the preparing game data screen taking an abnormal amount of time. They will work on this issue on our end.

Keep in mind that network stability can impact this issue and potentially make it worse. If you are on Wifi, try switching to a wired connection.

Something was wrong with it when a friend and I updated yesterday. Internet is rated at 6MB/sec, with both systems having the boot partition and game installed on SATA SSDs capable of 200 MB/sec random read and write. Yet it was moving at only slightly faster than dialup speeds (e.g. 10 KB/sec). Once preparing game data ended the game loaded near instantly (as usual) and then everything worked as expected. My friend even downloaded the update at 6MB/sec just before.

Yeah I cant even play this game. Its stuck on “preparing game data” and never moves. Highly frustrating, fix ASAP.

Since the last update, the game has become unplayable for me. I was stuck at the “preparing game data” part for about 45 mins (since it was at 8KB/s on average) and after that, the game runs at around 4 fps on average.
I’ve tried everything to fix it (Reinstalling windows, Scan and Repair, updating BIOS, including the instructions posted by @Nathardrick above).
I’ve got an GeForce GTX 860M that has never given me any issues before.

What else can I do?

Which graphic device is HotS running from? 4FPS is the sort of number I would expect from an integrated GPU instead of a GTX 860M.

This can be found in the files generated at Documents\Heroes of the Storm\GameLogs.

Fix plz…20 chars plz

i never really play blizzard games anymore and i try to get back into one and this…

found my fix, back to lol.