R.I.P Downvotes (first ever Megathread)

I know exactly what it means and neither I nor Flinx are spamming. Reported for patronizing me.

9 Likes

Because the point of downvotes is the opposite, you want the poster to do it LESS so you try to force that behavior through punishments in the form of a red arrow.

IF and ONLY if the feature was used in the manner it was intended this would be the case.

However, downvotes and upvotes are not used in the manner they were intended. So you have the negative consequences associated with a tool intended to curb trolling extended to posts that you simply disagree with.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical in what Iā€™m saying, youā€™re advocating the voting feature to be used in a manner it wasnā€™t intended to be used it.

1 Like

Yet you spam ā€œi disagreeā€ to users on this post

You clearly havent remembered your experience from then if you cant see your own mistakes here

1 Like

Anyone can use the flag feature.

but- READ THE FORUM RULES prior first

False flags are punishable. Flagging something for spam ā€œbecause i dont like it, and its the next best thing to a downvoteā€ is an action that will get you silenced / banned. (Not saying that YOU would, but an advisory to anyone who thinks ā€œflaggingā€ is going to be their way to downvote).

Theres 3 levels of trust- The highest level of trust will allow us to post links / pictures.

1 Like

You dont know what it means?

Then explain why youā€™re defending this guy who keeps typing nothing else but ā€œi disagreeā€

Doing so over and over is considered spam
And you should know

Downvoting someone doesnā€™t mean I want them to post less, it means I disagree with what theyā€™re saying. Itā€™s quite simple. The only real problem is emotionally unstable people thinking a downvote is some personal attack. I find it hard to believe that downvotes were conceived to ā€œcurb trollingā€ since trolls give 0 fks that they get downvotes and actually revel in it.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m referring to. Those with high Trust Levels can flag a post to immediately hide it until a moderator can see it.

Users at trust level 3 canā€¦

1. recategorize and rename topics
  2. access a secure category only visible to users at trust level 3 and higher
  3. have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
  4. TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  5. TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
  6. make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
  7. Daily like limit increased by 2Ɨ
1 Like

Heā€™s responding to your posts by telling you he disagrees. Thatā€™s completely within his rights as a fellow forum poster. If it bothers you to see ā€œI disagreeā€ so much perhaps we should have the downvote button back to reduce clutter. That was pretty much the reason I used it, so I could quickly state simple disagreement with a post without cluttering up a thread with ā€œI disagree.ā€ It also made it easier to see the communityā€™s general opinion of a topic or post by looking at the ratio of likes:dislikes. Now it just looks like every post is universally praised, which is stupid.

10 Likes

Let me put up what the flag for spam says: This post is an advertisement, or vandalism. It is not useful or relevant to the current topic.

Now what is spam?

spam
spam/Indsend
noun
noun: spam; noun: Spam
irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
unwanted or intrusive advertising on the Internet.
ā€œan autogenerated spam websiteā€
TRADEMARK
a tinned meat product made mainly from ham.
verb
verb: spam; 3rd person present: spams; past tense: spammed; past participle: spammed; gerund or present participle: spamming
send the same message indiscriminately to (a large number of Internet users).

Now typing ā€œi disagreeā€ everywhere on the forum will be considered spam
Since you literally is spamming the same message to more than one user more than once at the time

What part of that dont you understand? Cause it seems like you dont understand it one bit

"irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
unwanted or intrusive advertising on the Internet.
ā€œan autogenerated spam websiteā€" Ummmā€¦ are you sure you donā€™t understand what it means, because the definition you just linked does not describe any of the posts in this thread. ā€œI disagreeā€ is relevant to the comments itā€™s being directed at and is not being used for advertising or phishing. This is going off topic.

7 Likes

Right now i just take it as youā€™re trolling and flinx is your other account you comment on just to like your own posts, cause it pretty much seems like it

Not sure if i should flag you for trolling cause right now you clearly is

Done discussing btw, its a waste of my time since you dont understand what i am telling you

1 Like

So posting it 3 times is ā€œTyping it everywhereā€?

6 Likes

Youā€™re being straight up ridiculous now. Yes, two people disagree with you, CLEARLY theyā€™re the same person multi-accounting and CLEARLY must be trolling you. Wow. What do you think Drothvader? This new system sure is awesome, huh? I thought all this discussion was supposed to be great, but now Iā€™m being accused of multi-accounting and trolling because I have to type my disagreement to some random guy instead of anonymously hitting the dislike button.

8 Likes

What do I think? I think youā€™re both being childish right now.

We can all have our disagreements, just be civil about it. Theyā€™re provoking you just as much as youā€™re provoking them. As for me, Iā€™m just trying to have a rational discussion.

IMO you both should dial it down a notch.

3 Likes

Dude wtf how am I being uncivil or provoking them? This is why the button is needed. Certain people simply cannot handle anyone disagreeing with them, no matter how mildly. Iā€™m being accused of trolling because Iā€™m forced to type now instead of just clicking a button and moving on. Anyone whoā€™s been on this forum for any length of time knows Iā€™m not trolling. I had ~1.5k posts here (and an additional ~2k on the wow forums) before the forum revamp and multitudes of upvotes on my posts. Now Iā€™m just another troll though and apparently multi-accounting because I visibly disagreed with someone.

7 Likes

Sounds like tough peanuts for the people who cant handle people disagreeing with them

But at the same time, im glad the downvote button is gone. Im sure people will take the lazy way out and be as simple as ā€œi disagreeā€- but for the most part im glad it encourages more discussion. At least if someone is as blunt as ā€œi disagreeā€, i can at least respond with ā€œwhy?ā€ more directly to that person.

3 Likes

I never said you were being a troll, but you are participating in a pointless back and forth shouting match with another poster.

Look, Iā€™ve been around a long time, Iā€™ve been through every phase. I used to be a less that exemplary poster, but 26k posts later I calmed down.

All Iā€™m saying is you both are pushing each others buttons from an outside perspective. We can all disagree without being hostile toward each other.

1 Like

I agree with you for the most part but it seems some people arenā€™t interested in why someone disagrees. They just want everyone to agree with them and anyone else to be flagged for trolling. Itā€™s just hilarious to me that people demanded the downvote button be removed, but now that people have to type their disagreements theyā€™re immediately accused of trolling.

6 Likes

Would be easier to avoid being hostile towards each other if we could simply dislike a post instead of having to type out a post saying why we disagreeā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m just disagreeing, Iā€™m not shouting and Iā€™m perfectly calm. See, this is my calm face. ā€”> (o_o). This whole supposed argument couldā€™ve been completely avoided if I still had the ability to click the thumbs down button. It seems certain people that claim they want discussion donā€™t actually want it unless people are unanimously agreeing with them.

Whatever though, whatā€™s done is done and pointless thread is pointless I guess.

4 Likes