New account - 70% winrate and 3/3 placement games won - Silver 4

Hi there!

I was curious so I started a new account to see what happens. I leveled up, obtained characters, tried to do my best in every game, and I achieved to have almost 70% win rate just before my first placement game in ranked. I managed to have 3 wins there, one was really lucky I gotta admit, but still a win. And where am I ended up after all of this? Silver 4. Is this normal, really? Back then I saw smurfs with less win rates and started easily in Platinum ranks… How is that even possible? Okay, I might not fit to the Plat scene right now, but c’mon, silver 4, not even in Gold with this performance? The ranking system seems to be pretty messy. Or is that me who sees this wrong?

2 Likes

i see this wrong. Game took your QM MMR which was probably around bronze, thats why you were placed in silver… But what is this post even about? You made a smurf in hopes you can trick the matchmaker and be placed higher? why not just get better on your main and honestly earn the rank?

1 Like

How is 70% win rate bronze?

2 Likes

Yes this is to be expected. Because your MMR was very low.

A Diamond/Master player can hit >90% win rate in Bronze, but hovers at ~50% win rate in Diamond/Master respectively. The reason your win rate was higher than 50% was because you played so few games your were still being placed at the appropriate MMR. After a few hundred games you will be at ~50% win rate and then your current rank will accurately reflect your skill level.

1 Like

Forced 50% win rate is not a good idea.

1 Like

how it is "forced"and why is winrate is important at all when it comes to skill/rank?

Purposely matching randoms against premades or other randoms who are not the same rank. Gold 5s playing against plat 5s. Just stuff like that.

But is required to have any kind of fair match making.

If your win rate is >50% then the opponents you are fighting are on average less skilled than you. Hence it raises the skill level (MMR) of the opponents it matches you against and with. This in return decreases your win rate towards 50% since you are less likely to win games due to the opponents playing better.

The opposite also happens if your win rate falls below 50%. It starts matching you against easier opponents which you are more likely to win against.

Thank you but I know what the winrate is and how it works. Im talking about the importance and meaning of the winrate ,since the guy above likes to mention it. In my opinion saying " I have 70% winrate" is completely meaningless

But the match making is not fair. How is forcing you to always go 50 fair? That means you will never be able to climb.

Ya, duh that is forced… they’re putting you against opponents that are better, forcing you to lose… Matching you against the same skill level isn’t forced. Why put me against much better players because i’m winning vs people at my level? Just match me vs ppl in my rank… it’s dumb forcing much harder opponents on me just cuz the system wants me to stay at 50%… You’re not supposed to be at 50% how can you climb like that?? YOU CAN’T

I’ve played against people in a totally different rank when i’m at the bottom Tier of my rank. That’s ridiculous.

The game has so many issues that’s why it’s been axed by blizz and it’s slowly dying out. People are fed up with the junk systems in the game that are just broken and poorly done.

1 Like

read your own text. you loose vs better opponents but you want to climb??? how does this make any sense? Rank = MMR = your skill of winning against players with a certain skill level

2 Likes

So it ok to be plat 5 and get matched against diamonds and higher but its not ok go get matched against plats 5-3?

what does it change or what’s even the issue when you get matched against players of higher rank? ( which is most of the time not the case anyway )

Thought the point of ranked was to be matched against players of equal skill level to test you and as you climb you get matched with players of higher skill level, not just throw you against higher skilled players all the time.

Thats what the matchmaker does except people queue in party’s. When for example a gold and a diamond player play together the MM would put them in a game with platinum players. But this makes no difference since both teams MMR is always equal. So yes you play against the same skilled team as yours all the time. Only difference is that some of their players being worser/ better than you. Also partys even get a penalty for playing together since MM expects party members to communicate and have a better coordination.

I groued as a gold 5 with a diamond 5 and I was getting almost 700 points a win and he was still getting 200 points a win so.

Because it only forces that once you reach your skill level. If you are below your skill level it forces more wins than losses and if you are above your skill level it forces more losses than wins.

Most of the times the people are not better. You can have them on your team and win, and have them on the enemy team and they feel push overs and win. Like wise they can be on your team and lose, and they can be on the enemy team and you still lose.

If they are “much better” then if you win you gain a ton of MMR. The amount of MMR gained or lost is not based on the game result, but rather the game result and the MMR of everyone involved.

Losing against a “much better” team will result in practically no MMR lost, and they will gain practically no MMR for the win. Shooting fish in a bucket does not make you a skilled marksman.

If that is the case, it does not matter. The MMR loss will be minimal compared to a match against opponents with a similar MMR to you. Diamonds bulldozing Bronze players does not justify any MMR changes.

What performance? Winning only 70% of the games vs complete beginners in new-player queue in qm? That does sound roughly around bronze-silver to me.
The max mmr you can get seeded for first time SL is gold5, btw. So if you winn 3 placement matches, the max you can get is ~gold3. And you would need to win A LOT more than a few games vs beginners to get that max placement.

P.S. When I play qm on new accounts, my winrate is close to 100%. That still doesn’t mean I should go straight to master if I play SL on those accounts. No, even a plat player can have 100% winrate vs beginners in QM.
If you play a lot of QM games, raise your mmr really high and maybe even leave beginner queue (500+ games), then you could reasonably expect to get instantly placed in that gold3 when you start SL. Otherwise, you’ll still have to prove yourself playing SL itself.

Won 2 lost 1 got put in silver 5. Don’t know how much the placement matches really effect anything, seems kinda random honestly. Friend of mine did the same and got bronze 1. Perhaps just more transparency would be helpful to know why it does what it does. Not that placement matters much, me and my friend are both steamrolling rediculiously hard. Just steamroll your way to whatever rank you are shooting for. If you’re good enough it shouldn’t be particularly hard.