Heroes of the Storm Balance Patch Notes - July 20, 2021

Tried out all of the heroes listed in the patch

• didn’t notice much difference with Morales or Jaina
  • Zagara baneling spam is bonkers
  • Artanis E channel will be noticeable at higher levels, if he now gets picked at all, unstoppable could probably be changed into a soft root effect cleanse
  • Dehaka ability to move while burrowed is crazy, and avoiding some damage doesn’t turn the ability into a telegraphed death sentence two seconds later. Paralyzing enzymes damage bonus was completely unnecessary
  • I miss the time when there was an incentive to spam Muradin’s hammer while teams are throwing rocks at each other from across the lane. Melee stacking is so boring even with buffed talent

Hi Bliz,

Thanks for looking into Morales.

One question though:

Why does Morales still have a quest linked to her level 1 “Clear”?

This quest encourages me to spam grenade even if it tactically does not make sense. This issue was the reason why Muradin had his stormbolt quest removed. Ana also got a lot of her quest talents removed for this very reason.

CC spells and quest stacking does not align and wondering if you’re still okay with that in Morales’s case.

4 Likes

I feel like they coulda named the talent better tho. Just “fists of legend”? Go full diablo, call it Shenlongs fists

3 Likes

Exactly. You can’t buff Zagara in any aspect unless you somehow make her to require more active participation in being played. Right now she’s just a Summoner who spawn stuff and then run away, letting her minions do the majority of the damage (inconsistent damage mind you. High potential, but inconsistent). She needs a major overhaul, not just some number buffs because that would make her broken. She should be encouraged to attack alongside her summons more instead of fleeing and hoping her spawns do the work for her. This is why people will complain and she will be nerfed into the ground again. Just like Auriel Rez, just like Imperius’s overnerf, just like Falstad’s W quest.

Yeah like Harmony or something. Also the icon for it… it looks weird, could it have not been a combination of 3 colored trait icon?

1 Like

I mean that set is called “Shen-Long’s Fists of Legend” so it works

1 Like

Just gonna wait for the forum to be filled with “You ruined Artanis, his E is unplayable now” based on how little patience this forum usually has for gameplay changes.

Illidan rework

Morales changes look great, though I’m a little worried about Juice Pirates again.

I see Q build Muradin is still a bit of a meme.

Artanis changes are definitely cool. I do have a couple nitpicks, though.
They’ll need to increase the number of Block charges he can store (but maybe give them a maximum duration?) to actually make Reactive Parry worth picking outside of the usual niche situations.
Final Cut is underwhelming for the same reason as Follow Through.
We now have even less reason to pick Zealot Charge at level 20 now.

I love the changes to Burrow and Tunneling Claws for Dehaka.

I’m very happy something similar to what I’ve suggested in the past got added to Kharazim.

The ability to toggle Stukov’s ranged attacks from Fetid Touch is a good change, albeit one that should have been made a long time ago.

Tyrande buffs are cool, but almost certainly too much. Mark of Mending is going to make some Tanks virtually immortal.

Also

if I see you playing Tyrande on my team while I’m playing Zul’jin and you don’t pick Trueshot Aura, I’m reporting you.
…nah, I’m just kidding maybe.

It looks like Falstad’s Q build may finally be viable once again. W build was also overnerfed, so it’s good they’re fixing that.

Jaina buffs are… cool.
I really like the buff to Ice Floes, that’s always been one of my favorite talents.
Also, there’s a lot of typos in this section. Northern Exposure is an E talent, not a W talent, and Cold Snap is at level 20, not at level 16

2 Likes

Why would anyone think that? Especially with all the buffs he got. It feels different but overall so much more smooth. You can now E and then Q right after.

Do they? She got some mixed changes including some significant nerfs. People should know that her baseline energy regeneration got nerfed, but her level 1s have additional generation mechanics. Her safeguard armor and health also got nerfed. Her main weakness, being unable to deal with AOE damage is still very much a problem, which in a game where Blizzard has been giving out AOE like candy, does not really ameliorate some of her weaknesses.

And her annoyingly themed safeguard and grenade tiers are still there. The new grenade talent is not necessarily bad, but like okay, I guess I’ll auto attack after a grenade? Not the most interesting. They really couldn’t just put back irradiate beam could they? They also put second opinion at 20, which after Blizzard’s new design trend to make 20s gonzo stupid is severely lacking.

Juice Pirates is barely even a thing now. A lower cooldown will allow for more failures? Safe zone could theoretically maybe help that a little with an extra second of protected, but that’s such a terrible talent that is also at level 20 because offensive medivacs are so hard to control and often leave you vulnerable.

Hospice care is pretty crazy though. It’s like a mini palm, and combined with shield sequencer is borderline broken.

Overall, I’d say she’s not really all that much better, and the people who hate Morales, will still hate her. Which is fine by me. I find the whole idea of people wanting to be wave clearing gods and not care about teammates to be bizarre. But the rework is a pretty big miss for some of the issues that I had with her (namely lack of utility talents, boring themed tiers, inability to deal with AOE in an increasingly AOE heavy game, armor redundancy).

2 Likes

You do know you should be constantly Auto attacking as any healer right?
The exceptions would be Deckard and sometimes Stukov.

She also got buffed to a new dimension, and she was already fairly strong to a point where she was abit nieche.

Because people are impatient, the added 0.4sec cast time is gonna screw over the timing of her switch during his Q, meaning everyone has to learn Artanis all over again for the timing.
Which by experience, this forum just doesn’t wanna spend their time on, but stil wanna spend time complaining about it.

Yes.

Yeah, it was a joke. It’s just kind of uninspiring. But thanks for reminding a Tyrande main about that.

A new dimension is like strong words. Tyrande was buffed to a new dimension. Morales doesn’t really change all that much with her changes. A mixed bag that sort of doesn’t fundamentally deal with her issues.

It’s a lot less than that, it’s like .1875 seconds which is super fast, and it’s no longer channeled, so it’s going to feel a lot better than standing still for a lot of people even if they have to get used to it slightly.

1 Like

That is a bit of hyperbole, as you don’t have to learn him all over again, just retrain your muscle memory to the new timing. I was missing more Es than I am used to, but I know I will have the timing down to reflex sooner than later.

2 Likes

It is a hyperbole, it is obviously only the E that changed

Heck even when we got the XP “changes” people went amok on the forums, it apparantly ruined all their games and life was missery.
Apart from it being mainly a visual change and made the gameplay easier by having the XP remain in lane for abit longer.
I was laughing for months at how the neverending XP posts just kept on coming.
Apparantly writing a page long review on how bad something is, is easier than actually taking the time to learn to play with something, that didn’t change their playstyle by a mile.

1 Like

Valla not on the list…

guess ill be continuing my winning streak with her.

I play Jaina with a nice 56% WR with her. She didn’t need changing, the fact she’s been buffed is a concern. She was in a great spot of terms of balance.

From the other thread

Ok I managed to play one hero in this patch that’s been changed, and all I have to say is… MOOoooOOM! DEHAKA IS BEING DISGUSTING RIGHT NOW! He’s op! That burrow movement should’ve been based-stacked eons ago. Burrow-movement is so fun! If you spec into dat talent 4 where he goes invis and knock-back, you can make pro body-blocks or set ups. Especially at 16, you can chase and body-block low HP heroes or scatter the back-line lol. That elongated tongue with the Gambit gives you a decent chance as a carry as well!

1 Like

And it took them a long while to make it acceptable. Now globes stick around, it becomes less likely to lose XP (note, you still lose some XP, but at least not all of it) and rewards staying at the lane a bit more. Which makes even weaker laners capable of soaking a little.

But plenty of heroes still suffer from the change. Which those heroes can only resolve by simply forcing themselve to brawl. And this doesnt work if those perfect offlaners dont offlane, causing your team to still lose massive amounts of XP.

At least XP was made visible now, thats the only positive aspect here. But people still dont understand the importance of it. And thats because brawling all round is the most reliable way to become MVP.

1 Like

I’d say this response is a lie from one end to the other.
Before we had the globes, people basicly guessed how XP gain worked, there was no XP that stuck on the lane so you simply had to just be there when the minions died.
No Heroes SUFFER from XP staying longer in lane, some heroes just got better, example Xul.

XP made visible is FAR from the only positive aspect of the XP change.

Players actually enter the game now going “Ahh so that’s where i get XP”.
Every player can see a lane not being soaked by seeing the massive amounts of XP laying around in the lane, despite stil being absolutly useless at lower ranks where people for some reason STIL can’t seem to collect XP BECAUSE they are brawling like mad.
Which is also NOT how you become MvP.

Not in the sense of showing up on the screen nor in the sense of actually being the most valued player ingame.
80-90% of my games when smurfing from bronze - gold was MvPs, and that was litteraly from avoiding brawling and constant teamfights.

This is the whole teamfight dilemma all over again, don’t ecourrage poor teamfight behaviour, that’s just not how the game is ment to be played, and not how you rank up nor stay at a high rank.
Crazy.

1 Like

Phase Prism [E]

• Cast time increased from .0625 seconds to .25 seconds.

Is this a buff for Artanis?