Game Stuck at Authentication, then Gives Timeout Error

My game crashed a couple of days ago and when I tried to log back in, I keep getting an Authentication Error and then the Login attempt times out. It says to wait a bit and try again.

I did some Google searches and found a couple of useful threads. I tried everything listed in them and the game still won’t let me in. i have no problems with any other games, internet, etc. Only HotS will not let me authenticate which leads me to believe it is a server-side issue.

Stuck at Authentication Screen

Here is what I have tried:

So, I need help, because this doesn’t seem to be a client-side issue.

EDIT1: I tried Deleting the Battle.net Cache Folder also. Still isn’t working.

EDIT2: Now I am also timing out when trying to connect to Overwatch. Is something wrong with my account?

EDIT3: Tried logging in on the same PC using a different Battle-dot-net account and I am getting the same problem. Maybe it isn’t account related…

EDIT4: I was able to log into the EU server no problem. I tried logging into the US servers and get stuck at the Authentication screen once again. :frowning:

Hey, GmanSix! Hopefully this cleared up a bit in the last day! I haven’t seen any similar issues or reports recently on the NA side, but I’ll keep a watch for any additional reports!

Would you be able to try an alternative connection like a mobile hotspot just to test? If this works, could you include a WinMTR test to the IP/Host us.actual.battle.net for 5 to 10 minutes?

Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
WinMTR Here
~~~

Hello,
I have the same issue (authentication errors, kept me stuck and eventually timed out).
Same thing when I try logging in with overwatch, I think the other games too: WOW, etc … (but I never tried)
Switching to mobile hotspot fix the problem.
This problem began in mid-November.
I think that have to do with internet speed (knowing that my wifi is slower that the mobile hotspot).
but never had this problem before mid-November.
You should know that sometimes it works perfectly fine on my wifi (10% of the time)
I’m on EU server.
Thank you,
Have a nice day.

@polo, would you be able to create a new post and include the WinMTR test requested above? The issue is likely a different issue than OP’s that we’ll want to look into individually for the time being.

1 Like

I have a desktop PC with no wireless NIC (wired connection to router). So, I don’t have the ability to run a mobile hotspot.

I am running WinMRT test on us-dot-actual-dot-battle-dot-net now. It is showing no packet loss with the exception of “No response from host” is at 100% loss. Once I have run the test for 5 mins I will post results.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                             192.168.0.1 -    0 |  397 |  397 |    0 |    0 |    4 |    0 |

|                            96.120.40.61 -    0 |  397 |  397 |    3 |    8 |   27 |    8 |

|                          96.110.113.237 -    0 |  397 |  397 |    7 |    9 |   34 |    9 |

|                            68.87.188.90 -    0 |  397 |  397 |    7 |   10 |   38 |   10 |

|be-80-ar02.pontiac.mi.michigan.comcast.net -    0 |  397 |  397 |    8 |   12 |   63 |   10 |

|be-33668-cr02.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net -    1 |  394 |  393 |   14 |   17 |   29 |   18 |

|be-1202-cs02.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net -    0 |  397 |  397 |   13 |   17 |   23 |   16 |

|                             96.110.37.6 -    0 |  397 |  397 |   15 |   16 |   23 |   17 |

|                          50.242.151.154 -    0 |  397 |  397 |   14 |   20 |  143 |   64 |

|              ae1-br01-eqch2.as57976.net -    1 |  387 |  384 |   63 |   88 | 2023 | 2023 |

|                          137.221.65.132 -    0 |  397 |  397 |   60 |   71 |  559 |   66 |

|         et-0-0-2-br01-eqla1.as57976.net -    0 |  397 |  397 |   61 |   69 |  172 |   65 |

|              be1-pe02-eqla1.as57976.net -    0 |  397 |  397 |   64 |   65 |   73 |   64 |

|        lax-eqla1-ia-bons-03.as57976.net -    0 |  397 |  397 |   62 |   65 |   73 |   65 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |   80 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|                            24.105.28.10 -    0 |  397 |  397 |   60 |   65 |   79 |   65 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Again, I got kicked from the game while logging into a match as the game said there was an error and had to close. I restarted the game. Every time since then, it just sits at the “AUTHENTICATION” screen and is “Connecting…”. Eventually, the authentication fails and I am shown a screen that indicates “ERROR” and additionally “Your login attemp timed-out. Please try again later.”

I’ve tried for almost 4 days now and I cannot log in. I cannot log into Overwarch, either. However, when I change to EU server for HotS, I can log in without issue. so, this leads me to believe there is something wrong with (1) my account on NA or (2) the NA server. I do not believe this is a client-side issue. I’ve been able to play other games (from other companies) without issue.

Edit: Day 5: Still isn’t working.

Edit 2: My oldest son is saying that he is getting the same problem with Overwatch. i will investigate my router and see if there is something blocking bnet.

Hey GmanSix,

If you have a USB cable, would it be possible to run it as a tethered connection? It’s basically the same as a hotspot except you share the internet through the USB cable instead of wifi. Be sure to disable the phone’s wifi while doing this to ensure all network data goes through the cellular network.

This is a hardline method to verify if the problem is rooted in the home network vs the computer. That way we can narrow our troubleshooting.

To me the issue sounds like either the App itself has bad account data or there is network security on either the router or computer that’s blocking the connection.

It might still be worth clearing out the app’s cache and tools folders since those are quick steps to take, but if it’s still not working I do highly suggest testing any alternate network to verify the issue.

I do hope the info helps. Let us know if this works for you!

I just factory reset my router/modem and reconfigured it. Apparently something got messed up in the router/modem. I am able to login now.

Thanks for the support.