Forum tourney: EU server #2

Maybe have the 5 lowest MMR players veto a ban from 2 heroes so at least if they lose they still get to play a hero they like? Also, they get to play their best hero against potentially better opponent.

Not true, we haven’t had a fight,… yet :slight_smile:

nou

There is no drama, in spite of appearances I’m not just here to give out likes. If I make a post where I say something wrong or off base, I’d rather it be challenged than people remain silent and polite.

I can’t imagine anyone here having issues with Hoku, she has honestly and integrity and most of all civility.

2 Likes

I just died of the wholesomenes. Nothing more Minky. My BW heart could not take it.

But yea I know both you and Hoku are good people and always like to contribute to the forums with your honest opinions about various things in this game.

Also for the video I linket was just an exsample of how good things happen sometimes. A judge that give his old classmate a secound chance in life is so wholesome.

Makes me think of what Hoku said yesterday.

3 Likes

What is this format?

Pls don’t comment in it, 221 is my fav number, lol :'D

1 Like

But I can still like your posts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just skimmed over the thread. What I get: people forms their own team and the teams perform some tourney such as CCL. And you found that it was stompy?

It was, because skill-differencies were wider. Bronze-Masters. Multiple teams. Not all rainbow-ish.

I am proposing the following changes. I’ll first detail the propositions and explain why. Then, I’ll address the other propositions I did not take into account and why.

Propositions and explanations:

1. it is not call “tourney” anymore but something like “Fun games” or something else (suggestion?). The name may set some competitive spirit in the games that is not how I see things. For me, these games are about playing only, not about winning.
  2. in the spirit, there were fixed teams, with a best of 3 games. We don’t set the teams anymore and we play for a duration of time (2 hours for example). Still draft games. This is because balance is a concern and before the actual games it is difficult to estimate the balance. For instance, someone can perform better or worse than usual during this particular day. And since, the teams are no longer fixed, the best of 3 games does not have any meaning anymore.
  3. at first, the teams are set with the current method (MMR + roles). The person(s) that does this initial team compositions can ask for in game statistics and up to 3 games to be uploaded / or played with the player if they want to have more information than just the MMR. Note the “can”, this is not compulsory. But if a player is asked to, the player should do as asked.
  4. there is also a/several special observer whose purpose is to look for balance for the upcoming games. They have more information than the players since they can see both teams more easily. Also as I said, they can see the actual performance for this specific day (personally, I am surprised I performed much better than usually). Players can also make suggestions.
  5. I’ll have the last word on team compositions so that I’ll be the only one to be blamed for balance issues.
  6. during the lobby, the lobby channel is used only for organization. For everything else, that will be on another channel (forumies for instance). I didn’t even see that CHFern suggested some changes for the team. It may be due to the channel being filled with other discussions. During the games, the all chat can be used freely.
  7. Platinum 2 and above are not allowed to draft their mains (for instance, no Diablo for Karabars but someone else can pick Diablo). I will not go look at people profiles, so I’ll trust people to not draft their mains. Platinum 3 and below are allowed to play whatever they want. This should help in balancing.
  8. the maps played are non snowbally (which are by the way?)
  9. between each game, we take a 5 minutes break (after people are invited back to the lobby though) because I need to XD.

Globally, this is a trade-off between balancing and amount of preparation needed. The first game is meant to be an actual balance test. Also, even with balanced teams, there can be stomps.

Note: I used I or me, but I should have written organizer. At the moment, it is me but it need not to be me.

Other suggestions (if I forgot something, let me know):

1. Captains “draft” their teams (beforehand or during the games): I don’t really like this idea since there will be players who will necessarily drafted last and it can make them feel bad about being the weakest link.
  2. Players go in the team they want: I have the feeling that will end up to be always the same teams as some people already play together.
  3. Entry at Platinum: no. This is meant to be playable by everyone.

Your thoughts?

3 Likes

Towers of Doom is probably the most balanced map, with Sky Temple, Cursed Hollow, and Tomb of the Spider Queen are very good as well.

2 Likes

The average length time of maps in +Dia SL is 17 min 16 sec.

• Alterac Pass: 18:34
  • Battlefield of Eternity: 17:23
  • Braxis Holdout: 15:48
  • Cursed Hollow: 16:29
  • Dragon Shire: 17:45
  • Garden of Terror: 18:11
  • Hanamura Temple: 17:00
  • Infernal Shrines: 17:52
  • Sky Temple: 16:24
  • Tomb of the Spider Queen: 17:31
  • Towers of Doom: 16:47
  • Volskaya Foundry: 19:12
  • Warhead Junction: 17:28

I highly recommend Dragon Shire, Infernal Shrines and Tomb of the Sider Queen. I’d be ok with Garden of Terror and Volskaya Foundry.

4 Likes

Dragon Shire is very balanced too, I was surprised to not see it part of the tourney, a lot of rotation decision making and different type of lane compositions to play on the map.

3 Likes

I think I let enough time for people to reply if they wished to about the rules as well as about the maps. So I would assume that no one else has anything to say.

So from what I gathered from the answers about the maps, I suggest:

1. Towers of Doom
  2. Cursed Hallow
  3. Tomb of the Spider Queen
  4. Dragon Shire
  5. Infernal Shrines
  6. Volskaya Foundry

At the moment, I didn’t include:

1. Sky Temple from this post of Sami
    Volskaya / Sky Temple / Dragon Shire: something in common? - #13 by SamiSha-21964
  2. Garden of Terror: this is a personal take but it seems quite punishing to me and on a relatively big map

So only 6 maps. I guess this should be enough though.

1 Like

It’s a good choice of maps.
I would prefer them also in the order you listed them

1 Like

This all sounds like a lot of fun. I’m glad you’re all pitching in to make it even better in the future!

2 Likes

I wanna talk a little bit about Hanamura Temple while at it.

That map was reworked to a different version, the previous one was a dumpster fire and lets keep it to that, if anyone want me to go into details over the previous version of Hanamura, let me know.

Now with that said, the biggest issue with Hanamura is the objective isn’t effective enough, the concept is you push a cart from A to B and once it reaches that destination it fires enough rockets to IIRC snipe a fort.

So it has the feeling of BHB in it but at least there’s some forgivness, as in, the people who keep capping the cart more and more, are now forced to push the cart much and much deeper in comparison to those who captured less, so there’s some more defensive related to it, this is nice.

But the issue it takes so long to capture.

In the current meta around this map, you actually ignore the objective and instead take the advantage to simply push for a fort after a team fight, huh sounds sooo familiar to a map that was removed, Haunted Mines anyone?

This is because it takes really amount of time to push it, even with 3 heroes on it alone, this is a lot of time wasted for a push, although pushing management is a thing as in you keep 1 person pushing the cart, that isn’t really a bad thing to do, after all, its free damage.

But the whole purpose I am going in here is… the cart isn’t good enough, it should probably be more punishing and a little bit faster to make it more interesting.

Maybe add the 3rd tower back in while at it should make forts a little bit sturdier but I honestly doubt they will ever revert to that, but honestly, making Hanamura Temple have such feature would be a neat change either way!

I think real reason, why the objective on Hanamura feels so underwhelming are the Samurai Guards that deal a lot more damage in comparison. They spawn way faster and a push with them feels satisfying and more like an objective.

1 Like

I need a date of tourney.

Friday is good (same time as before). Either Saturday or Sunday. The rest of the days - most people (including me) won’t probably come.

About me - depending from in which week tourney happens, I may either join or not.

So I will join, depending from the date.

1 Like

Oooh, a tourney! Are noobs allowed to join?