<CDC #8>Koralstrasz - Consort of the Queen

My entry for CDC #8, my partner is Efede with Krasus.

Link to the Contest thread:

Link to Efede’s Krasus:

Korialstrasz - Consort of the Queen

Background

This is specifically younger Korialstrasz (before he created the Krasus persona), as depicted in the War of the Ancients trilogy.

As a great red dragon and one of Alextrasza’s consorts, he is a fierce and formidable fighter.
He is also Krasus’ past self and a key player during the war against the Legion.

Being the same entity from two different times, Krasus and Korialstrasz are linked together and weaken when far from each other, making them most effective when working side by side.

Summary

Universe: Warcraft

Role: Bruiser

Stats: ranged AA, high HP, normal amounts of mana as resource.

Korialstrasz is a front line fighter who specializes in supporting Krasus by empowering him and his abilities, soaking damage, and holding control of key positions.

He can empower Krasus or his zoning abilities, hold an enemy down on a spot, or hunker down to maintain control of a location longer.

Abilities

D - Dragonfire

Korialstrasz’s basic attacks deal half of their damage as Dragonfire.
Dragonfire is a DoT effect that deals damage at a constant rate.
applying Dragonfire to a target already affected by it increase its duration.

If an enemy dies while affected by Dragonfire, Korialstrasz gains an amount of mana proportional to the amount of damage left
D2 - Shared Power
when Krasus is far from him, Korialstrasz doesn’t regenerate mana naturally and gains less mana from other sources (like Dragonfire or Globes),but he regenerates mana normally when Krasus is nearby.

Also, Krasus and Korialstrasz have increased spell power when they are close.

Q - Energy Beam

Channel to fire a beam at a target for a few seconds.

The beam stops at the first enemy hit, dealing continuous damage (As it is meant to be used to empower Krasus more tan to deal damage, Korialstrasz’s beam does not deal as much damage as Krasus’).

The beam can also be aimed at Krasus, and increases the effects of his trait while hitting him (granting faster mana regeneration and more spell power) .
If Krasus’ Q hits Korialstrasz and Korialstrasz’s beam hits Krasus at the same, both beams become able to pierce all targets between them for the rest of that use.

The beam can also be aimed at the orbs from Krasus’ W (see Krasus concept for details)

While channeling, you can move (at reduced speed) but can’t use other abilities or basic attacks.
You can reactivate the ability to interrupt the channel .

W - Prismatic Barrier

Channel for a few seconds, becoming unstoppable and gaining a very large shield.

While channeling, you can’t move or use other abilities or basic attacks.

The effect ends early if the ability is reactivated or if the shield is destroyed (any remaining shields from this ability are lost when it is reactivated)

If Krasus’ Q hits Korialstrasz while channeling this ability, the beam is spread to all enemies in a small area around Korialstrasz.

E - Grasp

Clutch a nearby enemy and channel for a couple seconds, rooting you both for the duration.

During the channel, reactivating this ability or using your W will end its effect early.

The ability can also be used on Krasus, taking a hold of him for a couple of seconds (but rooting neither of you).
While holding Krasus, any damage he receives is applied to Korialstrasz instead.

Your hold on Krasus will not be cancelled by activating your W, but it will end if you move away from each other.

While channeling this ability, you can use other abilities or basic attacks (but not move, as you are rooted)

Z - Flight

After a short delay, rapidly move to a visible location within a large range (Can fly over terrain).

If holding Krasus, he will be taken along for the ride unless he is rooted.

R1 - Heroic Legacy

If Krasus is alive, heal him for 20% of his max hitpoints, and temporarily double the spell power he gains from the trait and apply the trait’s benefits to him regardless of distance.

If Krasus is dead, lower his dead timer by 20% instead.

R2 - Lifebinder’s Warriors

Empower your next few basic attacks, increasing their damage and making them splash.
Also, summon two Red Dragons who fly by your side and fire the same improved basic attacks at the same target as you.

The Dragons don’t have a limited duration, but will leave after you’ve spent your improved basic attacks or if Korialstrasz dies.

The dragons can be slain.

Just like with Korialstrasz’s normal AAs, half of the damage from this ability is dealt directly and the other half is applied as Dragonfire.

Talents

Tier1

Draconic Vitality [D]
Quest: collect Regen Globes (also gets progress whenever Krasus collects one)
progress reward: each globe collected increases healing received from Fountains and Globes by a small % amount, up to a limit.
completion reward: when the limit is reached, the healing increase applies to all sources

note: Krasus also benefits from the rewards as long as he is in range of Shared Power

Heatstroke [Q]
Enemies are slightly slowed as long as they are damaged by your Q.
The slow amount is increased on enemies affected by Dragonfire.

Shared Barrier [W]
Krasus shares your W shield as long as he is in range of Shared Power.

Tier2

Flesh Eater [E]
Heal for a small % of AA and Dragonfire damage dealt to enemies at melee range.
The healing amount form enemies affected by your E is greatly increased.

Force Field [W]
Push enemies away when activating your W and when its effect ends.

Magefire [D]
When Krasus hits an enemy affected by Dragonfire, he deals bonus damage and the remaining Dragonfire damage is applied instantly instead of over time.

Tier3

Dragon Scales [W]
Whenever a shield effect on Korialstrasz expires, he heals for a fraction of the remaining shields.
This effect is increased to the full shield amount for your W’s shields.

Hold Them Down [E]
Enemies affected by your E have their Armor greatly reduced against Krasus’ attacks.

Blazing Energy [Q]
Your Q applies Dragonfire to enemies it damages.
While Krasus is empowered by your Q, his AA and Q also apply Dragonfire.
Orbs from Krasus’ W also apply Dragonfire as long as they’re affected by your Q.

Heroic (Tier 4)
See R1 and R2 above.

Tier5

Alextrasza’s Gift [Q]
Gain a bit of health whenever your Q lasts its full duration or an enemy hero dies while being damaged by your Q.
The healing amount is increased if your Q’s target or the slain enemy are affected by Dragonfire.

Dragon Rage [W]
While your W is active, nearby enemies have Dragonfire applied to them.
If your W is used to spread Krasus’ Q, all enemies damaged by it also have Dragonfire applied.

Hold on [E]
When using your E on Krasus, he is cleansed of disabling effects (Stun, Sleep, Silence, Root), and your E’s cooldown is reduced.

Tier6

Aggressive Swoop [Z]
When you fly, enemies in your landing area are pushed away and receive a large slow for a moment.
Your Z’s cooldown is slightly reduced for each enemy affected.

Giant’s Grasp [E]
While rooted by your E, enemies receive a small % damage every second.

Ancient Expertise [D]
All your selected Q talents are applied to Krasus’ Q as long as he is in range of Shared Power, except for Storm talents.

Storm (tier 7)

Glorious Legacy [R1]
Double the duration of the effects when Krasus is alive, and empower Krasus and all of his W’s Orbs as though they were affected by your Q.

Also, increase the dead timer reduction amount if used when Krasus is dead to 50%.

Lifebinder’s Armies [R2]
Increase the number of basic attacks improved.
Also, Summon two additional Red Dragons, who follow Krasus instead.

The additional Dragons attack whoever Krasus attacks and leave if Krasus dies.

Lifebound [D/E]
As long as Krasus is in range of Shared Power, any fatal damage he receives is transferred to Korialstrasz.
Additionally, half any damage dealt to Korialstrasz instead of Krasus by the effect of Korialstrasz’s E.

Universal Energy [Q]
Your Q can be cast on any ally, granting them mana regeneration and spell power like it would to Krasus.
If used on Krasus, while its effects last Krasus’ cooldown reduction speed is increased.

Cosmetics

To help differentiate his basic skin visually from Alexstrasza’s Dragonqueen form, Korialstrasz is smaller, and he tends to lean his weight more towards his hind legs (adopting a sitting position) and use his front legs a lot more like hands, striking foes with his claws at melee range as well as using them to throw fireballs and spells (he also uses his mouth for both of these situations, but not exclusively like alex, except when his hands are busy holding someone with his E)

Skins

Second War / Dragonmaw
Smaller beard and spikes, way more hair on his head and back
main tint is green with red hair, like WC2 dragons

Frost Wyrm / Scourge
Looks like the unit from WC3, mainly a skeleton with almost no skin and with a kind of mist covering the volume where his muscles would be. NSFW in China, apparently :stuck_out_tongue:
Main tint is white bones with deep blue skin and light blue mist.
Other tints could be “Blighted”, with yellowed bones and greenish mist, or “Cursed” with dark bones and blackish/dark purple mist.

Duelist
Has no beard or spikes except in the head, and a segmented body that looks kind of like plate armor (like a Yu-gi-oh dragon, and yes, has a white variant with blue eyes and a black variant with red eyes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Heraldic
More sleek figure, his tail is longer, curves in a loop and ends in an arrowhead like tip, has a long tongue which also ends in a similar tip. (basically a Welsh Dragon)

Mechanical
Steampunk style, with a metallic body, glowing eyes and mouth (like it had a furnace inside the head), and electric like effects.
In the vein of Hearthstone’s “Mechanical Dragon”, “Mechanical Whelp”, and “Mechanical Dragonling” minions.

Change log
  • Added link to the Krasus concept
  • Reworded Summary section to clarify intended playstyle
  • Added Dragonfire trait
  • Detailed second Heroic’s functionality
  • Added Talents
    *Added clarification about Korialstrasz’s and Krasus’ beams being different
    *Added Skins

Forums hate me so here’s a blurb.

Total - 15/20

Creativity - 4/5

I was not expecting these two. I read that trilogy is full; it’s a nice throwback to see these concepts. They way the interact is quite complex, and in many ways I wonder if it might be too complex. The beams interacting are the cores of the concepts, but I wonder if it might be carrying too much of the weight on themselves. Perhaps it’s the illusion of the text having all the interactions on the Q and spread out, especially on the Krasus concept. I’m trying to imagine that tooltip. I would try heavily condensing the tooltip on the Krasus Q and see where it stands. The idea of a single ability empowering other abilities as you pump energy into it is interesting, but I think the effects need to be appropriately placed. The need of them to be together to restore their mana offers a time limit to them while apart, which is an interesting take on a combo character, but I fear they might require each other too much to realistically be considered as separate characters. Depending on the exact mana mechanics, and the spell power amount, it could be a bit finicky to design. The ability interactions are already quite crucial, and so the various proximity effects seem like they may be overwhelming at times. As for the basic abilities, both Krasus and Kory have interesting abilities overall, really carried forward by the variety of ways their abilities interact with one another. Korialstrasz’s heroics are a little basic overall, with Heroic Legacy especially feeling rather… underwhelming, even though unique. Krasus’s abilities straddle the line of being unique, but I will give them a pass.

Cohesiveness - 3/5

The characters work together incredibly well, almost being dependant on one another to function. Individually, I think Korialstrasz feels a bit scattered in his role. He can become a damage sponge for a few second, blocking projectiles at the least, but not much else, he has a high damage channel, and he can root a single enemy. For someone who is supposed to be a frontline warrior, I really am not feeling it from his lack of sustain or disruption. His heroics also feel a bit out of place, with Heroic Legacy being a pure supportive heroic for Krasus and Lifebinder’s Warriors’ auto attack focus fitting more on a damage carry like Thrall than a bruiser that is focused on channeling effects. Krasus does not escape this strange heroic disconnectedness either, with Lifebinder’s Consort being particularly out of place. I can see how Linked Through Space-Time works in the concept, so I am less bothered by it. In many ways, the characters seem to blend together a bit too much, with less distinction between them than Cho’gall, which seems contrary to their split nature.

Thematic - 5/5

I would have never thought of this combo, but it fits perfectly. The abilities fit the characters very well, and the characters fit the contest theme wonderfully. Overall, I am very impressed with the decision.

Interaction - 3/5

The concepts seem to have several interactive elements, but I feel like there is a lack of interaction overall with the kit. The fact both of the beams are targeted and form the bulk of their damage could quickly turn dangerous. Grasp from Kory is targeted, and there is not much you can do when he casts Prismatic Barrier. I’m also concerned about Displacement having no delay before you disappear; I know it is meant to dodge big attacks, but I wonder if it is too good in this regard. It would heavily depend on cooldown, similar to Dehaka. Right now, it seems slightly better than Dehaka’s burrow, since you could use it to get over a wall. Lifebinder’s Consort also looks like it could get quite annoying quite quickly.

Sorry it took so long to respond, we barely had any time this week.
I’ll be updating my concept shortly, but wanted to address a few points of your feedback:

Funny thing, I originally tought of the trait as the core of the concept, and the beam interaction was just added to meet the “abilities must interact” requirement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I tought of it as a weakness: separating the two is a way to beat them. nut rather than making them weaker when apart, it feels better if they are strongr when close (sort of like Deckard).
Of course, we kind of ended up going for both.

Yeah, you probably noticed by now, but I struggle to make interesting heroics. Most of the time I end up having one be “like his Q, but better” and the other be very simmilar to another basic ability or the trait.

That was the idea, yes.

Maybe I shouldn’t have phrased it as “frontline warrior”, it implies more than I meant to say.
What I meant is he’s supposed to hold a position (by body-blocking and spreading Krasus’ attacks with his W, as well as holding enemies with his E for Krasus to mow them down), and keep Krasus relatively safe in the backline. I’ll rephrase it when I update the concept.
The sustain from his W is supposed to be kind of halfway between Chen’s Shield and Dehakas Burrow.
Also, talents will improve his sustain/disruption options a lot.

It’s Kind of his ‘Sustain’ choice, but it helps Krasus because Kory’s screwed without him. The dead timer reduction is supposed to be its main use, but it has the other part in case your Krasus is actually skilled and not constantly getting killed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The reason I made it AA charges without a timer was so you wouldn’t feel like you’re wasting heroic time by using channeled abilities.
I came up with some stuff that will make it feel a lot more integrated into his revised kit, I think.

Well, they are the same person :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks! This does seem to be our strong point on these contests

It’s kind of like an Azmodan All Shall Burn o Leoric Drain Hope. you just have to get out of range, which is aided by their reduced speed while channeling, but you can also get behind cover (minions, walls, allied heroes) like with Gall’s Shadow Bolt Volley or Nova’s Triple Tap, since it stops at the first target hit (unless they shoot each other to make it pierce, in which case you need to postition urself so they’re both in the same side and not stand between them)

Yeah, it works like Xul’s Bone Prison, but instead of the big warning it roots him too. But its a static channel, so any displacement on Kory will free you, or you could just kill him faster than he kills you :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but I would think Dehaka’s burrow is more simmilar to this than to Krasus’ Displacement.
It just makes him a big ‘meat shield’, so while it can get annoying, I don’t think it’s all that bad.

That’s all from me for now, I’ll let my brother speak for his side of the concept if he finds the time.

forum blurb

Total - 15/20

Creativity - 4/5

They both have unique and creative kits, but I think having both characters essentially having the same Q ability, and their Q abilities playing such a core part of their kit can be detrimental to their interactivity and enjoyability. Along with their high focus on being close to eachother. Nonetheless, this is a very creative core concept for both heroes and I like their gimmick, even if it can be a bit too gimmicky

Cohesiveness - 3/5

I feel like there lacks cohesion to their playstyle. Their Q abilities take the spotlight and offer most of their functionality and damage and misusing it would be very taxing. Other than that, they have some thoughtful interactions between eachother.

Thematic - 5/5

A nice execution of the characters.

Interaction - 3/5

Their talents are interesting, but I feel like some of their talents would be a burden to play against. Phase Shift feels out of place, and cheating death every 45 seconds is incredibly strong. Uther gets to do it every 180 seconds at lvl 20. Krasus’ main attack being a stick-on beam dealing high damage seems like it wouldn’t be very fun to play with or against, though I will admit it has the added function of collision which I like.

16/20

3/5 Creativity

I love the lore behind this pair (not something I knew about before), and a lot of their interactions reflect it well. I’m not a huge fan of the passive, though. It seems to be necessary for the mana regen, but also acts as a bonus with the spell power. I feel like the focus should either be one or the other.

And maybe this is just my design philosophy speaking, but I think you have too many interactions on the Q beams. Most notably, the one where the beams pierce everything seems like it’d be very situational. You’d have to have very particular positioning for it to trigger and be useful.

4/5 Cohesiveness

The pair has a lot of abilities and talents that play off each other. My main issue is that a lot of them are passive effects, which feels like it downplays the co-op nature of the challenge. I don’t really get the feeling of a set-spike when looking at how these concepts work together outside of the beams.

5/5 Thematic

Thematically, I love them. The abilities back up the lore, and the idea of playing as the same person from two different timelines is just fun. I think I’d like it if the skins reflected it as well, but that can be difficult to do, and the skins you have are plenty fun as they are.

4/5 Interaction

I see no issues with their interactions with each other or the enemies.

One talent that worries me is Krasus’s True Form. It effectively grants you another Koralstrasz, but it doesn’t seem like Kory is significantly more powerful than Krasus. It actually feels like you’re losing more than you gain since your DPS character is gone, your trait is gone, and you lose a lot of the interactions between the two. I can see it functioning as an “oh crap” button if you get focused, but most heroes get that at Level 13.

Deefe - 76/100

Creativity: 7/10
Cohesiveness: 7/10
Thematic: 10/10
Interaction: 6/10

(+0 Thoughtfulness, +0 Game Fluidity)