Yes the game is rigged..in that it finds..a worthy opponent

it’s definitely rigged every time the wheel spins it gives me worthy opponent, I don’t know what the rng is on the other options but I get worthy opponent every time

1 Like

5% alcohol? What are you, a girl? :joy:

Nah, but really, good analogy. The argument against skill existing here is motivated by emotion: self-preservation.

1 Like

… apparently? I get buzzed easy for how big I am.

2 Likes

Was only joking, but alas I’m a heavy weight in regard to everything but bud. It’s the weirdest thing.

I just want to play against Cheaty McCheaterson once. He is my cousin after all

1 Like

Lol I feel this.

I don’t drink normally at all. Only drink when going out to dinner with friends which is like maybe once a month at best.

180 lbs. 1 beer and I can be buzzed, especially if I haven’t eaten :rofl:

I would say yes and no, in the sense that if the effect of randomness for a single game is extreme then there’s an extreme advantage at “stability of expected outcomes” for those would play 24/7 VS those who play limited number of games.

For example current patch the zoo hunters are supposedly around 60% which is supposedly “decent” for this patch; however that deck is extremely sensitive to bad Mulligans since it’s so fast (it often dies if by round ~5 it has done nothing good;

so while one could get 60% from it: if they play very limited games they may get 40% or 80% and they will have no clue how to judge their own skill so it produces a big problem with stability of outcomes and the ability to judge your own skill.

[So “yes and no” in the sense, yes on the big picture of all players, no if the “leaderboards” in question refer to someone trying at an individual level to see what result they might have given no unlimited time to play.]

[Also it produces a psychological burden; it might be frustrating not knowing if the total will be 40% or 80% given limited games; I might therefore choose a boring slow deck like a Highlander to avoid it.]

Generally, yes, since it’s is likely that their MMRs are similar. In large part, the stars help to push those up to the rank at which they are competitive more quickly, else they’d be grinding through low ranks, making progression slower. As I recall, the old system knocked you back only few levels from your finishing spot. Now, when everyone goes back to B10, players can still get back to their “grind zone” quickly. That said, I’ll probably update my little copy-paste “how it works” post to reflect this. Thanks Mand!

MMR is used in the star bonus calculation, with a floor function on stars based on your prior month ranking.

1 Like

With star bonuses, it it’s not even a discussion worth having. You can easily raise rank with considerably lower win rate than 50%; even the win streak alone does it; so combined win_streak + star_bonus of even just X2 it’s just easy mode X2.

But…that’s the point of star bonuses. To raise your rank quickly to where it was last month.

Of course, that does emphasize the pointlessness of the monthly reset, but hey…

It’s just horrible design. Unless all the star bonuses are gone and all the streak bonuses too and all the rank floors too it’s not clear what the competition does.

I don’t care what rank you are; I don’t know if you had star bonuses to reach it; I don’t know if you play badly 24/7 and you had a singular streak.

Win streak bonuses aren’t that big of a deal, if you really manage to winstreak up to a rank above your skill and get lodged at a rank floor, well the other people stuck there too had the same thing happen.

There’s also contamination of what the rank means by sending bonuses to people in the future.

E.g. I don’t know if you WOULD get Legend this month. You had a star bonus from the past.

This strikes me as pretty darn silly. Generally, star bonuses only last until you’re two floors below your previous rank — for example, if you make Legend (but not tippy top Legend) then you don’t have a bonus in D5-1, it lasts throughout D10-6 then it stops. Do you honestly think that someone who climbed to Legend just last month is not going to be Diamond 5 or better this month? Calling this “contamination” just seems wild to me.

You’re also completely disregarding the pros of carry over star bonuses to put forward a subjective argument. Then when people point out the pros, you respond like it’s a debate, but it’s not - there are pros and cons.

If people were responding saying I love star bonuses, fair enough.

No matter how many stars you have, it’s always the same struggle last few games in D1, as you get shuffled back and worth until you hit the win streak

You can call it luck if it only happens once, but I don’t see a point in doing so. There’s not much difference between a hardstuck diamond 1 and 30k legend. Probably a few more games or few more % of luck.

But if this consistently happens to you, it means you have issues with your psyche.

You’re either tilting, or your ego can’t handle you still have a lot to learn about the game so you don’t learn, or both. Even giving up the tendril decks in favor of something more meta (even if tier 3) is learning and adapting and will probably get you in that dumpster legend, if that’s what you wish for.

There’s really not much philosophy here. If you can’t hit legend, you don’t deserve it. It’s that easy.

When I was hardstuck 2k on EU, I started playing on NA. Mostly played bots until Diamond, had a winrate of 92% and finished rank 77.

When I was hardstuck 3k on EU, I started playing on Asia. Mostly played bots until Diamond 5, had a winrate of 99% and finished 2k.

If you’re better at this game, you will win much more than your 50+% which is expected by your deck strength, because diamond and low legend players are bad at this game.

No amount of blameshifting or conspiracy theories can help change that fact.

1 Like

Look I love a winning mentality, but I think you should consider the possibility that there is some variance across people’s care factors when it comes to winning hearthstone games. It’s a bit of a stretch to frame people not making legend as a psychological issue.

Not at all if they’re complaining about it all the time, which OP is

I’m talking about such cases, not about people who don’t care

1 Like

I’ll have to take your word for it, not about to go read all their posts.

There are many reasons people would not excel at hearthstone which are unrelated to psychological issues.