Upcoming Nerfs/Buffs

For every example of a mana change making a difference there’s an example where the change did nothing to change the deck. The one common denominator in those differences was the power level of the card. Maul, Purolator and Feast will not be cut from the deck as their power output is so high that a 1 cost bump will put them at the cost they should have been to begin with. That doesn’t change how they impact the game.

When cost change does make a difference is when a card overall power is relative to when it is played on curve. In this batch of card if the Hunter weapon goes to 7 that will probably remove it form the deck but maybe not depending on if it has a similar impact on 7. Pozzik going to 5 is probably the one where a cost to 5 will kill the card. At that point the 3/3’s are minimal and opponents have room to play them especially if they are on 6 after it’s played.

Bumping a card up or down two points RARELY happens in game any longer after the pocket galaxy fiasco. Over time gradually moving up can happen but Theotar didn’t leave the meta because it cost six. In fact even at six it had a high play rate. It left the meta because the decks it targets no longer exist. Guaranteed if a deck that could be disrupted at a specific time existed Theotar would be in decks. Even so it see’s plenty of play in ETC.

I think it would have to have immune while attacking to be useful, then it could potentitally be used as a clear tool. I don’t see why it can’t have immune while attacking, especially since cards like Lady S’theno have it.

Lower cost is not necessarily better, you get much more value at a higher initial cost.

1 Like

The goal of balance changes isnt to get a card cut from a deck, its to lower the winrate of the deck. Every time a Paladin would have to play something else on 2 instead of Maul is a chance paladin loses a game they would have won otherwise without the nerf, thus lowering the winrate.

Both Disco Maul and Purator are cards whose power is relative to how early they are played. Disco Maul especially.

I agree on maul, but not on purator.

Depending on what you got early, very often it’s played on six or seven after you dump your hand to make room for the draws.

If I were going to nerf purator I would hard cap the draw instead of the mana cost. Like “draw three minions of different types”

Not strong? This card can decide matches, when it’s played how is that not strong?

Because most of the time it didn’t, or worse, made you more likely to lose the match.

Most decks are better off running a card that helps them win than one that maybe stops your opponent from winning.

Now yes, but this wasn’t the case, when it was 4 mana, which was clearly busted and that’s why everyone played it.

Even when it was 4 Mana the card’s win rate stats did not suggest everyone should run it.

It was a middling card. It was often the worst card in a deck.

So while it was playable, it was hardly correct to say every deck should use it. Most should not have been.

Decks currently shouldn’t be using dirty rat, but it isn’t stopping them from doing so.

I had this one guy failed to kill me while he had 32/32 minion. Boy that priest was dumb as hell.

The nerfs are probably:
Poz’s bots cost 2 mana to play instead of 3.
Purator’s attack is lowered from 4 to 3.
Disco Mallet now requires 2 minions to be played to upgrade to effect.
Feast or Famine attack is lowered to 2.
Lady S’theno cost goes from 3 to 4.
Hope of Quel’Thalas goes from 4 attack to 3 attack.

Too bad they are nerfing the wild priest deck. For once it is a deck not based around big, greedy cards locking down the game.

If they want to change attack of Feast and Famine to +2… then also change all the aggro function cards to 2 HP because that card is very important to kill those in early stage…

The earlier they get their lightrays, the better chance they have to win. Before these nerfs, they could be played consistently on turn 6 with purator. A 1 mana nerf would prevent them from playing a sinful sous or some other 1 drop with it, which could be the difference between turn 6 lightrays vs turn 7 lightrays

Well they can still play lightrays with the dragon on turn 7 which is s massive tempo swing. And rven if yiu anticipate it sometimes you can’t do much unless you uave specific answers in hand

So many bad takes in this thread

1 Like

And reducing the number of cards it draws by limiting to three or four types also reduced the chance that they even get a light ray without taking other things out of the deck.

They also need to remove the lifesteal from the spell that goes with the weapon. You can’t give them windfurry and lifesteal. That’s awful.

Having played the deck extensively (about 4k to 500 legend or so), I can say that the best cards in the deck are roughly in this order

Weapon >> Purator > Countess > Disco Maul > Dragon > Leviathon > everything else

Lightrays don’t really make the list for me. They are good drops, and when they drop they are usually tempo, but aren’t all that amazing.

Horn of the Winlord basically defines the deck though, almost everything you do relies on that weapon: controlling the board, burst damage, stead chip damage, etc.

Ironically, the only good counter I’ve found to the weapon are 1/1 taunts with divine shield, because you don’t want to burn the weapon on clearing these. It’s kind of stupid only Pally has access to these.

Pretty much. The wepon is what makes the deck so broken. Because it covers huge paladin weakness tgat was build in kinda. That paladin doesn’t have good ways to clear the board or do dmg from off board.

Purator is only number 2 on your list BECAUSE of lightrays. If it didnt draw 2 near free 5/5s with taunt, it wouldnt be as good as it is currently.

I put Purator as #2 only because it is situational. If you could guarantee to draw Purator by turn 4/5/6, it would be by far the strongest card in the deck no question (and for this reason you should always keep it in mulligan.)

It becomes tricky to analyze over the average, however, and this is where all statistics lie. Most statistics will reflect the win-rate of playing this card when it is played before turn 7, in which case it is an incredibly strong card, perhaps the strongest. However, in my experience, in only about 30-40% of the games I play, can I guarantee dropping this before turn 7 (I have to work out the math on probs to draw to verify if this is correct.)

If played after turn 7, this card is usually junk, its far too slow and draws barely anything. I’ve also not been able to play this card even when in hand in a significant number of games due to my opponents teching in the card that shuffles in a neutral minion into your deck.

Whereas weapon, can be, and should be played any turn after you have enough mana to play it. It is not a situational card whatsoever, its just an incredibly strong card, always. Weapon is not only the main win condition of this deck, its the strongest control tool as well, as well as a life gain/survivrability tool. The weapon is leaps and bounds better than any other card including Purator, mostly because of how situational Purator is.

If you look at stats, this will not be the picture stats paint, because stats will mostly/only count how good Purator is when it performs well, not when it doesn’t. The weapon, it is impossible for it to perform poorly, it will always be extremely strong.