This game is rigged as hell

I love you, Sally.

20char

Number of threads I’ve seen where someone says the game is rigged against them: 100+

Number of threads I’ve seen where someone says the game is rigged in favor of them: 0

If the game was rigged, both of these things should be close to equal in number because for every game that is rigged against someone, it must also be rigged in favor of the other person.

I always found this to be curious…it’s almost as if…

…nah, here’s hoping they figure it out for themselves.

4 Likes

I have pointed out many matches, and even posted them here, where I won with the same wonky matching that I complained about in losses.
What that indicates, I don’t know.
But I stick by what I always say. The matching is terrible.

In reality this thread is a case study in narcissism.

You could say that of the entire Forum.

1 Like

Correct.

Rather than admitting the player just had bad luck or isn’t good, their narcissistic ego forces them to think other factors are at play because clearly it couldn’t be that.

Good catch Goramier.

2 Likes

Well, what does that make me, lol?
I complain about the matching too, but I don’t think that it is unfair, just dodgy.

Thanks for proving my point.

If being unlucky (whether by rigging or by actual rng) is all it takes to ruin this game for you, then it was already pre-ruined. Fun games aren’t conditionally fun only when you highroll, they’re fun most (if not all) of the time. If you queue into a bad matchup and lament at how unfun the game is for you because of this random event, and then go on to blame rigging, you’re fundamentally attacking the wrong problem.

1 Like

Don’t forget to buy your signed copy of Everyone I Don’t Like is a Narcissist: a Child’s Guide to Online Discussion.

2 Likes

What does your reply even mean?
Schyla is not narcissistic at all, and he is one of the most generous players to post on these forums.
Everything I know of deck crafting, literally everything,
I learned from him, without him ever once complaining about my asking for help.

1 Like

I would say the same thing it makes almost every human being: A victim of confirmation bias. None of us are immune.

A good, in depth class on statistics and confirmation bias along with a nice read on why humans have a mental problem with random numbers would go a long way into understanding why one’s perception is the way it is.

I’d highly recommend looking into the random issue. Start with why a music “Shuffle” on a device isn’t random. Fascinating stuff. Start here: https://www.howtogeek.com/847793/why-spotify-shuffle-is-not-truly-random/

Long story short: Humans are absolute garbage at recognizing what “random” looks like. Thus, basing the claim the game is rigged because it doesn’t look random enough for someone is completely illogical. It can’t be done. Thus, you need statistical proof that removes your own idea of random.

2 Likes

I’m well versed in confirmation bias.
But I have real doubts about the MMR system being truly random.
Impartial? Sure.
Random? That’s a tall ask.

Yeah, that’s the point of the link and other studies. You literally cannot interpret random so therefor, you can’t ever think the game is “random” based on your own perception. The human mind is flawed in this sense.

For example, in a statistics class, the professor asks all the students to flip a coin 100 times and mark down the result. Then, the professor asks the students to make up their own 100 result on another paper.

The professor determines with 90% accuracy which papers are the real results and which are the fake results.

The reasoning is because the perceived notion of what random looks like looks “too random” and the actual randomness looks fake. For example, a student making up their results might never allow heads to appear more than 5 times in a row…but the real random paper will show ridiculous results like 7 heads in a row followed by 7 tails in a row followed by 7 heads in a row - something most humans would think is “rigged” or “fake”

All this has been thoroughly studied. The human brain can’t really interpret random.

4 Likes

Have you seen Reinfield?

I am getting major Reinfield vibes coming from you.

I don’t want to spoil it too much, but it’s a fantastic dark action comedy about a narcissistic boss.

Well, I will never like the matching system.
It feels like two systems overlaying and interfering with another.
I think We should go back to the old school star system.
It was hard, but it was rarely argued about.

As much as human bias is well-known and common, your generalization that everyone is biased and no one can overcome it is honestly an unwarranted and flat out false claim. In fact your own story refutes it; the professor clearly could tell random from non-random.

It’s not pure random. Matchmaking is at its core a first in, first out (FIFO) system, like the line at the cashier at a store. Matchmaking by rank adds the wrinkle that you’ll wait more even if you’re “at the front of the line” if no one else in line is close enough to your rank; the more you are made to wait, the bigger a MMR difference is acceptable.

After the people enter the system (like getting in line) there is nothing random about the system. It doesn’t call RNG even once, in the same way that a cashier in a store doesn’t roll dice. The only thing that’s “random” is the inputs, just like the only thing random about a line is who got in the line when.

But the inputs aren’t fully random. Like if you are a cashier at a store, would you notice patterns about what types of people show up which times of day? It’s pretty well known that elderly people tend to keep to earlier schedules, and that elderly people have different tastes in products… so you’re probably going to disproportionately sell Depends in the morning.

My point is that saying “matchmaking is random” is just about as accurate as saying “the next person to walk into this Walmart is random.” It’s close to being true but it’s not all the way there. Over longer time periods it’s closer to accurate but if your Ranked experience is to play at about the same times every day for just a short while, or to play many games back to back, yes, the degree of randomness is going to become degraded, perhaps noticeably so.

2 Likes

We can’t fully downplay our biases.

I have quite a few times talked about Hispanic issues. I am Hispanic.

But I have a more complicated perspective because I don’t fit the stereotypes of Hispanics, so other Hispanics don’t necessarily see as much of the stereotypes because people won’t come up to them about those stereotypes; but they will question me being Hispanic because I don’t fit them.

1 Like

I think the matching should be a dice roll.
Players who hate losing now would really pitch a fit:)

1 Like