Serious question about casual "tryhards"

You’ll create and play the top decks in the meta but you refuse to rank. Seriously, though. Why? What is it about ranked mode that some players seem to be allergic to yet they’ll tryhard their way through casual. I just don’t get it.

(this is my experience adding players I see playing top meta decks in casual to check rank. Kind of a personal experiment)

2 Likes

I’m confused what is considered “try hard” in casual? Isn’t the whole point to casual mode playing literally anything and everything that you wish to play? Otherwise what’s the point. I personally stick to rank but only cause in casual 9 out of 10 games you come across players that take 2minutes per turn to make a single move.

Regardless forcing people into ranks just cause you don’t like the randos you come across seems a little messed up.

2 Likes

Because my “top deck” is missing a couple of key cards. Isn’t it an obvious answer…?

Some people don’t care to be presented every match with a ranking displaying how good or how bad they play. I enjoy the game, but have little interest in comparing myself to other players. I play ranked for the five wins and then go back to casual. And I think “averse” would be a better word than “allergic”. So while I don’t play for the ranking, I still play to win in casual. I play decks that I find are fun to play. Sometimes they’re tier 1/2, somtimes they’re mid-tier, sometimes they’re not even ranked.

3 Likes

Because I can, because I want to, because you can’t stop me and…most importantly, and I’m sure I speak in the name of everyone…because it triggers you.
Have a good day!

2 Likes

I make the best deck I can for each class, then use most of the rest of my slots for “quest decks” (play X of various types, draw a bunch, etc) which are designed primarily to finish the quest as quickly as possible, with winning a distant second priority.

That doesn’t leave very many slots for gimmicky/fun decks. I’d probably be more likely to play worse decks in casual play if I had more deck slots to play around with experimental/fun decks.

Also, if the game was better balanced or the match making stuff in casual was better designed so you wouldn’t get so obliterated by tiered decks when you’re playing your goofy stuff in casual.

Or, they could make the game harder, so less stupid people who copy other people’s designs who can’t win in ranked because they’re bad, but can buy a few hundred packs per set and construct whatever they want. So they play in casual, where their deck superiority can make up slightly for their bad play.

A long time ago, when I was first starting, I was frankly too intimidated to try to play ranked. Ranked tends to be a lot more cutthroat (or was at the time), and I play for casual fun. I didn’t start playing ranked until I felt confident that I had a clue what I was doing. Some people may just not want the pressure of having a ranked number.

1 Like

casual has mmr too buddy you’re just salty

Rank is just as much about games played as it is decks used. If I build the meta deck am I obligated to play all the games to rank up, or may I please just play once and awhile (resulting in a low rank)?

The problem is that Spudnuts is some demented little kiddie who takes out his self-hate on others. He loses and then blames “tryhards”, on the loser premise that doing something well (trying hard, for example) is somehow bad.

You seem to assume that ranked is the default place people should play.
I haven’t played ranked since around Goblins vs Gnomes.
What’s the appeal of playing in a place where everyone plays the same decks?

You mean like in casual? The same decks are everywhere. My question is directed toward those who prefer unranked play.

My favorite Deck is 100% fun 0% competitive I don’t want to lose repeatedly on ranked unless it’s to help others climb.

That’s a funny statement. Could you provide an example when your defeat in a ranked game won’t help your opponent to climb?

No I can’t provide an example of that. After reading my response you should understand what I mean.

D’you mean the response you deleted? Sorry, my crystall ball is not good enough.

Casual also has MMR. So “tryhards” who keep going on with Tier 1 decks are gonna balloon their MMR to the point where they… You guessed it, get matched against other “tryhards”.

So if you keep running into “tryhards” packing Tier 1 decks in casual, that is what you are.

You play ranked when you have a deck that can compete or you get slaughtered.

What’s with all the tryhards climbing ranks? Why not take it easy and just play some casual? I don’t really get all this ladder climbing.

What’s with all this inflated ego comparing your ranks? Unless you are top 100 legend you are as bad as the rest anyway, you just also wasted a lot of time climbing ladder for no reason.

Naw that just means I’m good enough to keep up with them. Just sucks that there’s no escape from the tryhard meta unless I wanna rng mode in battlegrounds or arena.

1 Like