Physical Hearthstone card game

How about physical hearthstone game cards? Fireside gatherings are nowhere to be found any longer. But if we had real card version of Hearthstone then we could be social and in person local gatherings again.

3 Likes

And how would you work out Discover effects for example?

5 Likes

I would not spend money on physical cards for hearthstone. The way we live today post pandemic is much different than pre pandemic and I’m not sure Fireside gatherings are going to be making a come back any time soon.

And if they were printed versions of the cards, then we would have to deal with fake Hearthstone cards circulating, it would be an absolute mess and really not worth blizzards time to consider something like this. Probably why it’s all digital.

They did that before hearthstone. WoW TCG. It flopped. But that’s where you get a lot of the card art in hearthstone. I do miss loot cards…

5 Likes

They suck at game design too much to actually print them. Have you not seen the constant balance changes they do?

2 Likes

Look up physical card games that have this same effect.

Do people not realize that hearthstone and other digital card games were based on earlier physical ones?

It’s like thinking that before digital anything that the analog version didn’t exist. I’ve seen primitive man fallacies…but not going back less than 20 years.

Alos this. Giving more money to actiblizz in 2022. EWWWWWWWWWW!

This was also addressed during real physical card game official events. Your friend might not care you printed a fake card, so long as you both got to print and run your fake decks and have a good time, but bring your obviously fake deck to an offical event? You get put on a list and people talk about you on obscure forums to this day, like the guy who brought that insane over 2000 card yu gi oh deck.

Welcome, old timer. Let’s tell these young’uns what’s what!

Also this. The old game at least worked, and was made a team who knew what they were doing…unlike now.

1 Like

Physical Hearthstone card game

it is old failed World of Warcraft TCG Rip in 2013

2 Likes

It didn’t flop.

A TCG is considered to have flopped if it ran for less than two years.

One is considered very successful if it ran for over five.

The Warcraft TCG ran for over five.

If it had flopped they wouldn’t have based a lot of the basic mechanics from and used the art from it when creating Hearthstone.

3 Likes

You’re suggesting that Blizzard sold the licenses for TCG and then decided to make their own digital version, in fact they stole the good idea from them :smiley:

2 Likes

Can you explain clearly?

Who stole what idea from who?

1 Like

I’m going to go out on a limb and say: look at which one came first. I mean, I could figure out the “who” of their post by knowing which one came first (also explained in this thread). I mean, you even said it yourself!

/picard double facepalm

“Price is Right ‘you lose’ music” plays in background.

1 Like

Are you calling it stealing buns when McDonald’s used the same buns they were using for burgers on their chicken sandwiches?

Are you calling out Dr Strange 2 for stealing the characters from Dr Strange?

This is the silliest ripping in the forums.

1 Like

No, you get written up for that kind of stuff. Probably fired if the corporate guy is coming through for that “secret order inspection” stuff. Never mess with the formula in food service, unless you don’t care about your job.

If they ripped off something from another company blatantly, then yes.

Good thing there wasn’t a third one in there, otherwise I would have used strike three (or played and missed for cricket fans)!

I didn’t realize actiblizz owned Top Deck, the creators of the wow tcg. Funny that.

They don’t own Top Deck.

They own the TCG itself.

That’s why the TCG itself was not made by Top deck between 2010-2013.

I wonder if it’s related to Brian Kibler dumping it to go play Magic in 2009?

So I guess the problem is the Professor X portrayed by Patrick Stewart; created by Fox, showing up in Dr Strange?

1 Like

You may not want to spoil things for people who haven’t seen it. No matter what you may think of me, even I won’t just throw movie spoilers out there.

But without realizing it, you made another point for me: think of the sony/disney spiderman thing: they had to work out a TON of legal stuff to avoid stepping in each others’ yards, and they still managed to piss each other off occasionally. If disney had just thrown spiderman in civil war without asking, or used the term “mutants” (note how “enhanced” humans was thrown around pre buyout), then Fox sues them for infringement.

It’s like the two version of Captain Marvel/Shazam, Deadpool/Shot, etc and the whole dc/marvel thing where they created the same (BUT DIFFERENT!) characters for years, sued each other, and people will fight (sometimes for real) over which one is the REAL comic book slim shady.

This is why lawyers get rich.

Licensed; they own the property the game is based on. The mechanics, etc were created by the company who made the game. A bit of a difference.

It was made by Cryptozoic, who acquired the license. That’s how licenses work: someone either picks it up when they promise to do more with it, the first company decides not to renew or the company giving out the license decides to hand it off to someone else, etc. But they don’t create the rules for the game itself.

You don’t think that actiblizz created the stats, framework, etc for the pen and paper versions of the RPG when that was around, do you?

A number of the artwork wasn’t even done by actiblizz, but by a guy from penny arcade. I don’t recall if they hired him again, or if the contract gave them eternal rights to it or something (sucks for him if so, considering the money they make on hearthstone).

It didn’t flop.

A TCG is considered to have flopped if it ran for less than two years.

One is considered very successful if it ran for over five.

The Warcraft TCG ran for over five.

wow cards have been bought ONLY for the wow ingame reedeem and the high price market (see the spectral tiger, wooly rhino, cenarious path, etc). when there was not the wow shop for the skins yet.

1 Like

This is ridiculous. If Upper Deck (not Top Deck LOL) had any rights whatsoever, why didn’t they sue Blizzard?

Because it’s not their game.

Do you not understand that because a person or company makes something, it doesn’t mean they have ownership of it?

And if they don’t own it in the first place, the actual owner can’t be accused of stealing it.

1 Like

Pressing F. That one is expensive.

Though he right about the run. It’s one of those odd things where people collect because they liked the game, the art, artist, or some odd reason (the power of nostalgia has slain many strong wallets, mortal!).

So actiblizz owns the D20 system, and the other system from the other comany the pen and paper RPG was based on?

Someone better tell wizards of the coast! They’ve been illegally using actiblizz IP for YEARS! Even before they somehow gave them the rights by getting a license to make the wow RPG.

Or, you don’t get that the IP (wow) belongs to the company giving out the license, and the company making the game holds the rights to the game mechanics and whatever else is negotiated between them.

Because if you think wotc signed away D20 to make ONE book for actiblizz… L-O-L.

Can you link to the lawsuit? Where Upper Deck sued Blizzard and Criptozoic?

You understand they even reissued old cards?

Almost like Criptozoic had the license, and could do so! Just like a new holder of the license gets permission to reissue old content if it’s in the terms of the contract.

choose dodging for 500, alex!

Also, link where wotc signed away their game system and the people who make plushies for actiblizz perpetually signed away their plushie making system, because they make stuffed animals for actiblizz.

Or CD companies when it was physical media.

Or the people who make collectible statues, coffee mugs, stickers, keychains, carboard boxes with pictures on them…

And so on.