People who say well play when winning

is it really necessary to rub it in at a children’s card game? Regardless what your intention is, stop doing it.

4 Likes

What a sec…you’re the same guy who has no problem with other players getting 500 free packs of cards because they utilized a exploit in the system and yet you have a problem with “Well played”?

You bud…have issues and you’re dad should sit you down and have a talk with you.

And who said this is a “children’s” game?

11 Likes

You can squelch the opponent, so no well played for you.

3 Likes

nobody has problem with the other player getting 500 free packs. You are the only one complaining. It has no impact on the game and your experience, just get over it.

4 Likes

In tournaments in games such as Chess and Scrabble, one ends a game with polite remarks.

In Hearthstone, it is especially likely that a person losing a match could have played excellently, since it is very probabilistic, and some decorum is in order. A game can easily go for half an hour, so you and your opponent are spending a lot of each other’s time. It’s nice to treat each other well - ‘well played’ derives from polite behavior.

I’m sorry, but the complaint in this thread sounds maladjusted.

None of this applies if one player is a Hunter, of course, but those are not real people. /jk

3 Likes

I have a problem with steal. It’s against my moral values. You are corrupt if you think that it’s ok for a person to rob 500 packs while other people are honest and pay for the packs. I am sure that everyone that have sanity would call an absurd players using an exploit to get an ilegal advantage while some people work hard to get a good collection of cards.

2 Likes

Early well played = you will finish the game playing against a rope. While I go to the kitchen and the gym.

To be fair, most HS games people think about - play mode - isn’t a tournament environment.

With the way ranked mode works, you have a lot of people playing it for the rank grind. When one or both players have been tilting (stuck trying to break to that next rank, having had a string of bad match ups, facing the same netdeck one too many times, etc) they won’t be the most receptive to any emote.

In unranked you don’t have the rank grind, but then you get more matches where netdecks get faced with people using less optimal decks for all sorts of reasons (don’t have the cards, trying a gimmick, trying to finish daily, etc). This creates a lot of unfair/unbalanced matches.

In either mode you even have people who are just there to grind out 10 gold every 3 wins (it’s super inefficient, but hey some people want to squeeze out as much gold as they could… not everyone can go infinite in arena)

Even if we ignore how some of the goals people have for playing have a tendency to bring out the worst of us (tilt, salt, BM, etc), the fact people have vastly different goals means there isn’t “decorum” that is automatically assumed and agreed upon by both/all parties.

The takeaway here is that you may think you’re being polite or following some kind of etiquette or standard. You’re not, because there isn’t a standard. You’re just telling yourself that as much as the other guy telling himself people are being a bunch of BMing childish pricks.

“It’s nice to treat each other well - ‘well played’ derives from polite behavior.”

That would all be relevant if people always said well played. The vast majority of people only have to say well played when they win. Never when they lose.

If it’s not rubbing it in or gloating it’s pretty close to it.

It’s only marginally better than saying thanks or greetings when you win. Just keep it to yourself unless the loser says it 1st. You’ll annoy less people this way.

Meh, or just squelch everyone.

Saying “well played” is silly for a few reasons.

First, Hearthstone is an unbalanced, RNG based game, with very little room for individual plays to matter. Either you draw the right cards or you don’t. There is no well played.

Secondly, it’s rude. Sure, people will say that they’re trying to be polite, but given what I said in point 1, there’s no other way to realistically take it, other than you rubbing in your win. For example, if you get a perfect opener, and flood the board by turn 2, and your opponent automatically concedes, where is the “well played” in that? Saying it can only come across as being sarcastic.

Third, it’s a waste of time. If you really want to be polite, then hurry up and make your turn, so the game can end and we can both move on. My time is more valuable to me than a useless emote from a nameless player. “But it only takes one second”, you say. Well, when you’ve played thousands of games, those seconds add up.

And finally, you’re probably squelched, so it’s pointless, anyway.

3 Likes

is it really necessary to have your feelings hurt over a childrens card game?

Is it really necessary to dictate others how they play a game? Regardless what your intention is, just don’t.

I am not the vast majority of people. I am me. I see “well played” in online games because I would also do so in real games. It’s polite.
The only situation where I would not say “well played” is when there were really obvious misplays. That would be dishonest. In real life I would then say “thanks for the game” or something similar but we don’t have that emote here (and just “thanks” after a misplay will be misunderstood).

Why the personal attacks?

Not true. I have analyzed lots of my own games and found countless situations where I made a bad decision. And I have learned from it to get better.
I have also seen opponents come up with very smart and creative ways to do a boardclear or gain an advantage.

It would be nice if people would just take my words for what my intention is when I emote “well played”, instead of projecting their own intentions onto me even after I say otherwise.

Such an extremely rare case of a very extremely one-sided match would be an exception for me and I would omit the well played. I used to use “sorry” for those but that emote has been removed.

Why do you assume I am wasting time?
If during your turn I see that I have lethal, I will already hover the emote and click it as soon as you end your turn. The emote is done before the card is in my hand.
If I get lethal due to some random effect, I emote Well Played during the exploding hero portrait.
So please tell me, where is the waste of time?

By the way, even if there is a waste of time. I think the whole society would be a lot better if everyone on the world would realise that investing a few seconds to be polite is not a waste, but a very good use of time.

I can’t control whether I am squelched. If you squelch me that you won’t “suffer” from my well played so why does it bother you so much? I’ll still emote, for those players who do not squelch and enjoy that I am polite enough to say greetings at the start and well played at the end of the match.

2 Likes

You’re right, that was uncalled for. I edited my post.

LOL! I complain sometimes but wow… just wow. wow

i say well played before I got wrecked and i say Well played before the win. makes me a bad person from your perspective

In chess “well played” means well plays. In hearthstone it means “ha ha you suck”

In chess, i lose the game because the other person has more experience. So is in Starcraft and such. In this game is it all about RNG, people had to rub it in your face at the end of it.

2 Likes

if you complain about rng now…answer is simple don’t play any card games. if you not want any rng involve your games. but you can use rng for your advantage when you check %chances and stop playing with that 3%
possibility. and same time you can squelch your opponent so you can’t hear or see emotes

I’m pretty sure the average age for this children’s card game you speak of is probably 20-25. I mean, yeah I do consider 20-25 year old people children still, but technically, they aren’t, so…

I’ll make a note to myself to say well played if i ever run across you just because i know simple gesture triggers you. But you sound like your in the ranks of 20-15 sadly i wont be seeing you. I have no intend to bring myself down ranks for a few months to do that.