People purposefully taking too long, not reportable

So… there are people who on purpose wont press End Turn in the first few turns if they have nothing to play… or just wait really long to play.

There’s some really rotten behaviour there and it needs to have an option to report, now I can only do harassment via inproper chat or whatever it is… which is likely to not get taken seriously as they’ll only check the chat.

9 Likes

Ah, yes, ropers.
Too bad we can’t hang their hero with that rope!

3 Likes

The problem is that it’s hard to distinguish between a malicious roper and someone who’s actually taking time to think out their turns. I doubt this will ever be reportable.

9 Likes

sorry, but that will probably stay that way. blizzard has said your turn time is yours, and you have a right to take the time you need, without punishment. so there won’t probably ever be a report button for roping.

8 Likes

perhaps… but surely if this option would exist, it would have to work like, multiple players having reported the player in question, before Blizz reviews the games and notices a clear pattern. If you have players who repeatedly do this, I think some form of punishment is in order.

i understand your side, but this creates other issues. like how many reports is too many? who should decide that number? can that decision be appealed. who’s getting paid to run this system? why should they be punished for using the time given? it just gets messy.
you could appeal to blizzard to shorten turn times,…but that would upset apm builds that already suffer from long animations. i don’t see an easy solution.

2 Likes

It’s not unreasonable for a player to take the full amount of his turn timer. Sometimes a player really needs that long to figure out his play. Sometimes he makes his play and wants to think about subsequent plays prior to clicking the end turn button. Sometimes he is distracted and simply forgets to press the button. Sometimes a player needs to use the toilet and lets the turn run out so they don’t miss the next turn. Sometimes a player is hungry and leaves his turn timer running while grabbing a snack from the kitchen. Sometimes a player gets a phone call and runs out the timer while talking to his mom or dad. Sometimes a player is annoyed with his opponent and runs out the timer in response.

I have done every one of these things at least once.

Turn times have already been dramatically reduced… by 40% on turn 1 (now only 45 seconds) and by 20% on turn 2 (now only 60 seconds). Turn 3+ remains at 75 seconds. 75 seconds is not that long to wait.

3 Likes

Well, OP, I hope you are not thinking about trying MTG Arena. Turns there can last several minutes repeatedly. That might give you a heart attack, given how triggered you are by 70 seconds.

If they rope only turn 1-2, they are probably thinking about something or away for some reasons.

A roper will rope every turn, not just the first 2.

Roping turn 1 only requires 30 seconds I believe, since the turn is shorter, so it’s not uncommon expecially if you have the coin

2 Likes

I feel Slow play (roping every turn) should be punished Ingame or reported.

In game punishment, if you rope 5 times in a row (because no excuse 3 would be enough since good players have a plan A B, and C before their turn started) should be punished by being forced to play the entire game for 25 seconds till they do 3 turns under 25 seconds (like my turns last only about 10 - 30 seconds on average because I know what I want to do and what will happen like any good player would know.)

Not saying short game time I am saying short game timer for the person who slows playing on purpose.

For punishment Report wise I feel a week be banned from Rank and no XP gain is a good enough punishment for them.

1 Like

I think if you rope you should only be queued with other ropers, have fun guys!!

4 Likes

You do NOT have the “right” to intentionally waste other people’s time. These darn roping bots are out of hand, too. There are several ways all of this could be rectified -

1. Actually follow up on reports of botting…
  2. Allow players to maintain a block list under X tier (There are PLENTY of opponents in bronze, silver and gold. It’s not going to hurt anything by facing Billy instead of Johnny at that level. I can understand not being able to block competition at higher levels in order to get wins by not facing strong opponents.)
  3. EASIEST OF ALL - AUTO END TURN when the player is out of moves. Why this has never been implemented is beyond me. A majority of games already have this feature, so it’s not rocket science.
5 Likes

This’ll never change because it will never NOT be he said/she said.

False. The technology exists that could track how many times pleb ropes each game after he has run out of moves.

2 Likes

You do realize each play for the turn may be obvious, while the time left can be used to evaluate the following turn(s). Maybe once you recognize this fact, you’ll tilt less.

Have a nice day!

4 Likes

i do it everytime i play against mage :cold_face:

2 Likes

i agree, but those weren’t my words. i was paraphrasing something i read where blizzard said that. according to them using all of your turn time is your right. if you saw the grandmasters tournament couple weeks ago, a player tried to use roping as a valid strategy. so…yeah prob. not gonna change.

3 Likes

how do you handle doing that then getting freezed 10 turns in a row, feels more punishing for you than the mage

1 Like

They made XP tied to time spent in the game, which led to the rise of rope-bots.
Since they never addressed the issue effectively, even if there are easy way to do that (give xp based on actions, for example, or based on turns rather than time), I doubt they would do that.

It seems they are happy with people spending time “playing” the game, no matter if they are real persons, slow players or bots

I do the same, but against quest hunter :joy:
I spend way too much time thinking what minions I should play, in which order, in which turn and so on, so, theoretically they can’t remove all of them, but also not progress the quest effectively.

All wasted time, because in the end there is no way for me to deal 40 damage to their face while also not dying from their damage :joy:

Give me a break already. Unless someone has a brand new deck they are trying out, they know their win condition LOL There’s no excuse for intentional roping to irritate opponents.

2 Likes