Overwatch 2 not starting but battle.net says the game launch

Hi,
I just installed overwatch 2 and everytime I try to launch the game it doesn’t launch but battle.net says its running, I can see the game in task manager and close it from there but other than that it doesnt start, I’ve tried bug fixing, letting it through fire walls and other things I’ve read about, but nothing has worked

14 Likes

I’ve the same issue… In Task Manager → Details section it shows running but when I checked Wait Chain it shows stuck/locked

1 Like

I am having the same issue. I have uninstalled/reinstalled, and updated Windows and Drivers, I have deleted the Battle.net Tools folder to automatically rebuild outdated or corrupt files, and I have run a repair. Still will not work.

2 Likes

I am also having this issue. Played OW1 with no problems. Updated to OW2 and when I click play it says “Launching” and then “Playing Now” and then switches back to “Play.” The game never opens up. It appears in the “Details” section of my task manager for half and second and then goes away. Tried quite a few fixes but nothing seems to be helping.

11 Likes

SAME! Blizzard is somehow never prepared for launches.

I have a similar issue, except mine doesn’t even show up in task manager. Bnet just says “playing” and then loops back to “play”.

I’ve tried everything on their list plus uninstall/reinstall :smiling_face_with_tear: please I just want to play the game. OW is one of my faves.

3 Likes

Been having the same issue all day but not getting any responses

I’m having the same issue. I’ve done all the same steps. I also played in the OW2 beta and had no issues launching and playing the game and mine is stuck at playing / won’t launch.

EDIT: Fixed it. I followed this article: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34721
and I deleted both the battle.net and Blizzard Entertainment folders there. I then re-launched the battle.net app and the button showed “install” for overwatch so I chose “locate folder” and picked the place where it was installed. On next launch, the window opened just fine.

EDIT 2: Played for about an hour. Got dropped from the game and back into queue and it couldn’t find a server to connect to. I hit exit to desktop and tried to re-launch and it’s back to not opening the launch window, even after following the same steps again. Maybe this is also related to the DDOS going on?

EDIT 3: Looked at the wait chain like someone else above said and my process is also in deadlock. Going to try uninstall and re-install.

2 Likes

Yea im having the same issues the game doesn’t show up in my Task Manager and says its “launching,” “Playing Now,” and then foes back to the play button. I’ve done all 5 of the fixes and it still doesn’t work…

2 Likes

Followed most of the steps on the “Overwatch 2 Doesn’t Launch” article, nothing worked until I tried this. It works, thank you so much for posting!

Edit: Got disconnected in the middle of a game and having the issue again. Sadly the fix no longer works.

I tried this and it didnt work, I wonder if it’s something to do with still having overwatch 1 installed or something

i tried this but it didnt work :frowning:

i have the exact same thing i just want to play too :sob:

This section is for Hearthstone technical Support , i think you can find better suggestions here

so it seems like this is happening to alot of us, I havn’t really found anyone talking about it yet tho, ill keep looking and trying to fix it myself, I’ll try uninstalling battle.net and see if that fixes anything, I kinda hope that a dev sees this and hopefully has some input for us

1 Like

Yup. This article links here which is why we all wound up posting here instead. I’m gonna grab my post it put it over on the OW forums.

it seems like alot of us have already done all of those steps and it didnt work for a good number of this, I honestly might just go back to val, even thought the launcher sucks it works

1 Like

I have also completed all the steps above but still can’t open. Can someone open it normally and share the solution?

Yep, same. Overwatch 1 worked perfectly.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

(I’m pretty sure I’m in the Hearthstone forums. Why is this showing up here?)