My observations on the community as a whole

What you said is true, but it is important to think of the community as a larger group of people… people that is around the globe. Here are people from different culture background, different age group, so on and so forth.

What you deem as important and helpful (though I sincerely believe your intent) may not be perceived as the same by other players. There will always be trolls who want nothing but attention, or to put it blatantly, flaming.

At the same time, there will always be helpful folks on forum. Take the technical support sub-forum for example. I posted there twice in the past and my query got answered by other players within 6 hours.

short version:
My advice for OP would be not take all comments personally. Just express yourself by posting what you find interesting. I am sure you will find like-minded people.

2 Likes

Wow.

He had people offer to coach him and then calls us TOXIC?!

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying, “If you don’t like rage posts? Why are you reading them?”

The problem is that any sort of angry post/rant/thread is seen as wrong. Completely and totally unacceptable. As if simply being mad makes it wrong.

Further, you’re trying to assert that an opinion about gameplay is wrong. As you’ve said, opinions vary.

Let’s say I think a deck is unfair. You may have no trouble with it at all. So you believe it to be fine. That doesn’t indicate you should be mean, insulting, and snarky.

I understand the difference.

Trolling: “Hahaha! You can’t beat Priests? They’re the weakest class in the game. If you can’t beat them you just suck.”

Disagreement: “I can defeat Priests. They aren’t unbeatable. My strategy is…”

I don’t see how it would make a difference. As I’ve gotten coaching before. The second no one is spectating I start losing. I’m at a complete loss to explain how or why this happens.

Like I’ve said many times, it’s as if every decision I make is wrong. Regardless of my approach, deck, or thought process.

…but anyway… I’m busy all day. As soon as I finish typing this I have a lot of housework to do. Plus shopping. And this all has to be done before friends come over this afternoon.

I also don’t see how Discord is going to be any different. I’ve joined many Discord channels for other games. I’ve never found anyone to help me or play games with. Most of the time, I’m completely ignored. So I rarely use Discord.

No, its not. The community is VERY helpful, when help is actually asked for. Carrying on like a toddler will result in replies of a similar nature, but when help is asked for the vast majority of regular posters actually provide it. - fact.

3 Likes

Being mad in and of itself isn’t wrong. Expecting niceties and helpfulness from people while throwing hyperbolic nonsense all over the place and abusing those who attempt to help though, is. I’m not accusing you of this with this statement, but boy oh boy does it happen plenty often around here.

I’ve heard the whole “I’ll never be able to rank up nomatter what” statement from so many people that I’ve NOW seen hit personal milestones that it no longer holds any meaning to me. No one is truly hopeless in this game, not even you.

That said, the only person we can control is ourself. One must work on their own attitude and behaviors before demanding that others change their own.

2 Likes

I don’t see how it would make a difference. As I’ve gotten coaching before. The second no one is spectating I start losing. I’m at a complete loss to explain how or why this happens.

Like I’ve said many times, it’s as if every decision I make is wrong. Regardless of my approach, deck, or thought process.

Many people can offer coaching, but if the coach and the student does not match, then the results are not optimal.

One of the key failure to maintain consistency in performance, is that the player has a weak understanding of the fundamentals. Because the player fails to recognise a “mistakes”, thus tends to repeat the “mistakes”.

Coaches that guides each and every action but fails to teach on the fundamentals can lead the student to feel helpless in their absence.

As such, I have/had started some articles on such fundamentals which you may want to have a re-look. If you feel comfortable, I am also open to sharing pointers. Reaver#6716.

3 Likes

Dont even bother. The guy never “asked for help”, all he did was whine even help was offered to him.

Whether is this guy or other guy, it is the same.
As the topic suggest “This community sucks”, and there are people here to show they care as well.

WE have our UPs and DOWNs, angry and salty, happy and caring, etc, etc.
The passing seasons and the growing pains.

As stated on my previous post, we BE the community we want to see.

2 Likes

Agreed. I just will not have someone with a… lets just say bad rep, come in and say that the community in general has not offered assistance, when requested, when it has since at least 2015 (2 forums ago now) when I started to be an active member of this community.

I know the name, I know his history, I know there is little fact in his claim of this community not providing help when it was actually asked for over the last 4-5 years.

I have nothing but respect for you Reaver, you are a breath of fresh air so to speak. But I am not gonna sugar coat it to people with a longstanding history of lets just call it poor post quality. Nor do I expect it myself from others who consider my post history to be of poor quality, and I’m certainly no saint in that regard.

Its easier to lose respect than it is to earn it back!

2 Likes

I can definitely vouch for Reaver. Hes always willing to spectate and some of his posts are actually inspired by lessons hes trying to help me understand. Ladder anxiety, value trading, among other things that have helped me become a better player.

@OP, the community doesn’t suck. Some of the snark here is directed toward well known trolls. For the most part, Bowser, Wardrum, Lykotic, Reaver and many others are practically the furniture of this forum. They know who to snark at, lol

3 Likes

I fully understand that some people does have a history.
But, we all May have a history as well. Mistakes are part of growing.

If “fate” decides that it is not the time for a change for someone, then it is meant to be. Some people changes, some people don’t.

Most importantly, we need to give a chance to people whom genuinely looks for it.

One point to add. There are some people/stuffs that does trigger me as well. It is just a personal choice, how I deal with them and it. The community is a collective whole. By participating, I become part of that community. Thus, how I react and conduct myself becomes part of the community.

2 Likes

Yep, and some dont but rather continue their tirade for years, as per the person I am talking about. So how many chances am I expected to give before calling it quits and writing it off as a lost cause?!?

1 Like

It is not time for that individual. (or never will be)

Till then, we have to safeguard ourselves. Your approach can be different from mine, but it is perfectly OK, as we are who we are. My approach can benefit some while is useless to other. Your approach can benefit those others, but is useless to some.

As long we share a true heart and right intentions, then we have done ourselves justice. :slightly_smiling_face:

Amen, brother!

Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Link, Princess Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Bowser, Pikachu, Sonic, Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey Mouse, Samus Aran, Ecco the Dolphin, Sephiroth, Cloud, Aerith (20 characters)

1 Like

I think it’s unreasonable to be angry, rude, emotional, and ranty but expect flowery pleasant replies that all agree with you.

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re engaging the toxic people, if you don’t want them to bother you, don’t respond to their posts, they get off to the attention

[quote=“Dracoliche-1924, post:65, topic:4069”]
[/quote] it seems like you have a poor mindset when it comes to playing, perhaps you’re getting to mad at the game and the community and not focusing on adapting your strategy. Try calming down, writing a huge rant will not make you feel better and it won’t help you get better at making in-game decisions.

This forum is an unflushed toilet.
Those who have been here for awhile are the pieces that try to cling onto the bowl for dear life.

The residue above attune to it. Much like pigs rolling in their own filth.

Nah.

Compared to games like LoL, Hearthstone’s community is a tea party when it comes to toxicity.

And yet, here you are.