Mr. Smite NEEDS to be HoF OR Drastic Nerf

I’m sorry but I’m just sick and tired of seeing Mr. Smite in nearly every deck right now, have a deck of 29 cards just add Mr. Smite. An increase in its cost has done absolutely nothing to the playability.

Mr. Smite, which like Leeroy, needs to be rotated out of Standard by the next set OR needs to be nerfed to his effect is “Your Pirates Have Rush” instead of Charge (and reverted to 6 cost), as well as Nellie being unnerfed.

I’ve been playing around with 4 decks lately: token/beast druid, beast/naga hunter, murloc shaman, and quest priest. None of them run Mr. Smite. :man_shrugging:

I think your perception is skewed by confirmation bias.

2 Likes

I’ve seen Mr Smite in Control and Pirate Warrior and Pirate Rogue obviously, seen some agro DH playing Mr Smite, Holy and Handbuff Paladin, Some beast hunters and some face hunters, Thief Rogue, and the occasional ramp druid.

I may have slightly exaggerated when saying nearly every deck, but Mr Smite is in many decks right now, and is horrible card design giving himself, and all other pirates charge.

Mr. Smite needs to be nerfed to provide Rush or be rotated into wild.

1 Like

I’ve seen it quite a bit, too. It’s a good card.

Yeah. But better that you specify where you’re seeing it like you did in your follow up post. Obviously that’s going to be a bit more constructive.

Yep. It is. It’s a good card.

Now this is not so constructive. Why is it horrible? What exactly is bad with giving himself and the other Pirates charge? It’s not making the decks overpowered, since nothing right now seems to be dominating the meta far ahead of any other decks. Is it the massive amount of damage in a single turn? Don’t spell-based burn decks kind of do the same thing? What exactly is horrible about the design of the card?

Look at Leeroy Jenkins, it was removed from standard because as the devs said it was bad card design. Leeroy only had charge for himself, Mr. Smite on the otherhand has charge for him an all your other pirates (if you are playing other pirates or discover a pirate).

Mr. Smite is at worst a more expensive Leeroy (after the cost increase) and at best multiple charge minions hitting your face.

I don’t think that it is healthy for Standard to have Vanilla Charge minions usable by any class. Especially in the case of Mr. Smite which not only has charge for himself but potentially other cards such as Amalgam of the Deep which can fish for even more pirates (or possible another Mr. Smite).

3 Likes

I mean, he literally spells this out, and you answered your own question in retyping his words that you imply he doesn’t give a why for:

I mean, you can pretend the devs have said “muh charge is bad…(five seconds later) Let’s make smite!” didn’t happen for the reasons they rotated Leeroy, but smite is Leeroy on steroids. Once again, you are being disingenuous and asking questions you already hasve answers to.

4 Likes

can you explain what 20 damage combos you can make with smite ? remember it has to be from an empty board

the only way i can think it using paladin buffs

Well not an empty board, but a board with your opponent not needing taunt minions. The best in theory without cost modifiers is 10 damage with smite, Amalagam, and a 1 cost 2 atk pirate in hand or discovered. And Amalagam could discover another Smite for next turn for another huge chunk of face damage. Assuming there are no buff modifiers. Priests could possibly buff Mr Smite with Serpent Wig and replenish mana.

But my point still stands that Mr Smite is bad card design. As the devs had said Leeroy was and imo Standard shouldn’t have any Vanilla minion with charge.

1 Like

the devs said you could use leeroy on 20 damage combos as the reason they rotated it out

why do you think i asked you about those high damage combos?( leeroy can be used to deal 18 damage in one turn just by shadowsteping it twice and smite well cant ! )

2 Likes

Leeroy was a 5 cost card before it rotated out. You couldn’t summon it twice by double shadowstepping it without a coin or a cost modifier since you would need 11 mana.

And high damage combo’s are still possible but mostly confined to Warrior, Paladin and Rogue.

1 Like

your vapid strawman bot posting? and quote exactly where op said that (“20 damage smite combos”) in the post you responded to?

1 Like

So your issue is the Charge mechanic generally. (Smite just has the potential to amp that up a few notches if you can also get another Pirate out there on the same turn.) So what is it about Charge that we dislike? Do you not like that you can play a minion and hit for uncontested damage? Because there are quite a few minions that have a “Deal X Damage” Battlecry. Do we need to look at that mechanic as well? And what about spells? Spells hit for uncontested damage. And some spells even hit and also generate a minion. Demonic Assault and Arcane Overflow come to mind.

Giving himself and other Pirates Charge is simply what the card does. But why is it horrible to do that? What specifically about having Charge (and potentially giving other minions Charge) do you find problematic?

“This pie is horrible!”
“Why?”
“It’s got cherries!”
“Well, yeah. It’s cherry pie. What’s so horrible about cherry pie?”
“The cherries!”
:man_facepalming:

I’ll throw some HSReplay numbers out here, although Scrotie is far better at this than most I’ve seen (especially me), so maybe he’ll chime in. Oh, and I’m doing exactly what I criticized him for doing last week, using stale data (last 14 days instead of last 3 days) and bad data (Gold instead of Diamond/Legend). So I apologize in advance, but maybe someone can post the D10-Legend numbers for last 3 days and we can see if there’s much of a discrepancy.

According to HSReplay, Smite is played in 9.8% of decks, 39th most among all cards in standard and 12th among Legendaries, so not quite as popular as some might think. Decks with Smite have a win rate that puts the card 154th among all cards in standard, so not as strong as some might think. However, Smite’s “Played Win Rate” is very high, placing it 15th among all cards in standard. That’s very high. But “Played Win Rate” is a little deceiving, since those at the top tend to be finisher cards, which is why you’ll see Wicked Shipment and Tamsin’s Phylactery up there. Technically, Purified Shard should be number 1 (at 100%), but I don’t think HSReplay counts it because it’s only a generated card, not one you can put in your deck. So… is Smite really that big of a problem? Or does it just seem like it because it’s so damn aggravating that it feels really bad and we feel like it happens all the time (which it really doesn’t).

The devs themselves said this when they hof’d Leeroy…only to make smite five seconds later. But they can’t even do a simple 1+1 so not contradicting themselves on charge isn’t too hard to believe either.

But you’ll no doubt “disagree” with the devs again, based on your feelings.

/slowclap

You asked for a why, and were given it (even though you literally already had the answer to your question). Naturally, your feelings entered the equation. But, as someone so famouly pointed out:

Also, terrible strawman is terrible.

For starters, the devs has systematically removed vanilla (Classless) Charge minions (and most charge minions in general from standard and rarely print new ones without conditions like gain 15 armor this game etc) from Standard for some time now and replacing them with the Rush keyword.

My issue is right now, and historically the Charge keyword, ESPECIALLY on Vanilla (classless) minions have been troublesome in Standard leading to bad gameplay. This is why we have seen Charge replaced with Rush which allows minions to attack other minions right away but not face.

Which is why I have said Mr. Smite should be nerfed further to a 6 cost minion with “Your Pirates have Rush” as an effect instead of charge. (And in turn you can unnerf Nellie which was nerfed because of Smite).

Deal X Damage Battlecry/Frenzy/Deathrattle/Spellburst/etc minion’s aren’t an issue at all because they are generally fixed in there damage output. Even spells for that manor that can hit for face.

The issue with Smite and Charge minions (Especially Classless ones) historically is they output damage that drastically fluctuates via buffs from the hand or field with spells. For example Stonetusk Boar.

So it is not unreasonable to nerf Mr. Smite to a “Your Pirates Have Rush” or “Your Minions Have Rush” and be a 6 cost card as well as unerfing Nellie.

Its that or remove him from Standard Rotation by the time of the next set or sooner.

1 Like

I’m not asking what the devs said about Leeroy. I’m asking folks here what they feel is problematic about the Charge mechanic.

Um… no. I asked why they thought the mechanic was horrible and was give a description of the card. Regurgitating the card text is not a reason. Please tell me, why do you think Charge is horrible?

Yes. They have. Buy why do YOU think Charge is bad?

How so?

We have. But I don’t know that this means there’s no room for Charge at all.

And I’d have no issue if that’s what they did. But I’m still not understanding why the minions having charge were such a problem. It’s not like that was creating some crazy 65% win rate deck.

This is a very good point. I will ruminate on this tonight. Handbuffing Charge minions (or minions that could be granted Charge) does give them greater potential than Battlecry Deal Damage effects. Spells do have spellpower bonus, but that’s not the same as getting +4/+4 on a Charge minion. Thanks for the good dialog, Jose.

“Let’s exclude facts inconvenient to the narrative I want to craft.”- auto circa 2022

Obviously lies are obvious…

and obvious lie from auto easily debunked.

everyone, why tell so obvious a lie?

That’s right folks! You can’t agree with someone else’s opinion…you must craft a 100% original argument…because reasons.

Maybe you should read up on the devs’ thoughts on the matter, why smite was nerfed, and stop being so pedantic about people posting nerfs. You’re entirely too emotional about this, which as we all know:

1 Like

crafted like when someone said smite was released right after leeroy was HoF?(“to make smite five seconds later”)

I think Charge is bad for Classless minions because they can have drastic fluctuations in damage output through buffs and go face immediately. As I said prior.

As I have explain with Leeroy, Stonetusk Boar, etc.

As I have said I think there is room for Charge minions which are tied to specific classes and are not a classless minion. As such with Galvangar where certain conditions are needed for it to gain charge. As well as avoiding giving Charge minions to classes which are notorious for hand buffing and large buffs on the field, such as priest, hunter (with beast tag), and paladin.

Charge is problematic when the charge minion is available to all classes, allowing classes with great buffs for minions to take advantage and do a large chunk of damage. The only hope for a counter are taunt minions (which are easy to deal with in many classes that would be buffing a charge minion) and a number of them at that OR having your life be as high as possible which not all classes have access to good heal/armor effects and the decks running charge minions are usually aggro decks in most cases leading to the charge minion to be the last push needed for game, which if you do not have a taunt minion or the opponent has removal for the taunt minion is game.

I’m suspecting sarcasm here. Apologies if it is not.

However spellpower requires set up usually which in the case of moonbeam druid requires alot of set up and cards. And are usually glass cannons.

If there is a broken card or deck in the game why handicap yourself by not playing it for increasing your rating?

You can agree that a card/deck is extremely broken and still play it.

Yes…they literally released him

Now add hyperbole to the list of things your programming cannot compute. Prioritize empathy though, before we have a skynet situation.

Still waiting for you to come up with:

you didnt understand but iw asnt talking to you

he mentioned the devs reasons to HoF leeroy the reason the gave were 20 damage combos from an empty board

with nellie nerf dealing that much damage or close to it became a bit harder