MMR matches are [not really] broken

That’s anecdote, not data.

When the match up spreads narrow at all ranks, we will know that the climb is harder for many people.

This is false.

When matched by rank you got everyone trying to climb through that bracket that didn’t have 11 stars.

Someone playing their D5- legend grind that was just outside the 11 star cut wasn’t “smurfing” while playing their matches on that way.

But your comments are very much indicative of the fact that you still aren’t seeing what I am talking about.

Because you had a 50% win rate.

working as intended

I’m sorry that your self-image doesn’t match your real performance, but that is not a problem the matchmaking algorithm can solve.

punsishment ? ranked is supposed to get harder the more you win!

seems they fixed something that was feeding you easy wins

Stars are not based on MMR. It’s based on where you finished ranking last season.

If you don’t play or reach the same rank area each month, it will likely go down.

So a new player who hits legend will get 10 bonus stars.

If I hit legend, I get 10 bonus stars.
Next month I only play and get to D10 even if I won every single game to get there, I’d only be given 9 stars despite the fact my MMR would go up since I won every match.

From the wiki:
Players are awarded a Star Bonus based on both the player’s MMR and numbered rank in the previous season.

End of the season ranks just provide a minimum amount of them:

Bronze 10 2x
Bronze 5 2x
Silver 10 2x
Silver 5 3x
Gold 10 4x
Gold 5 5x
Platinum 10 6x
Platinum 5 7x
Diamond 10 8x
Diamond 5 9x
Legend 10x
High Legend 11x
1 Like

Your mmr can effect additional stars but your base stars have nothing to do with mmr.

So if you are high mmr and you don’t play standard anymore, your base star is 2.

Neon seems to have not played standard in a long time so he’s at the mercy of bonus stars and his mmr isn’t doing much.

My current star bonus in Twist is 3x, and I only played a handful of games in twist last month. I don’t even think I got up to Bronze 5

My current star bonus in Standard and Wild is 5x. I did not reach Gold 5 in either mode. I used to climb to Platinum 5-Diamond 10 in both regularly, but I just don’t play as many games each day as I used to. I rarely run out of bonus stars in any mode

Got it. I just hadn’t followed the conversation.

From what I am understanding Neon thinks he is playing with better players than he did before? I don’t understand how that could happen.

His x6 Bonus Stars given shows his MMR is lower or at least Platinum, since he was given the x6 just from his ending rank. All his opponents must be Platinum and lower. He should have an easier time climbing, shouldn’t he?

1 Like

If you do it at the end of the month to get easier matches, then yeah, it’s smurfing

And that’s exactly the reason why these long-time players only hit legend for the first time this month

Are you trying to tell me that’s a coincidence, or what?

Actually, nevermind. I know how stubborn you can be when you take things personal. You do you :slight_smile:

1 Like

What if you do it at the end of the month because you’re playing a low tier deck and the start of the month is top loaded with try hard decks trying to hit legend early?

You are just talking out your rear at this point. You don’t understand anything I am saying.

You’re not following anything if you think this is about self image. Nothing.

They are based on both.

This just isn’t true. I challenge you to try it this month and see.

Which was my understanding, and was confirmed by our friend who indicated they got much more stars this month despite not climbing much higher than normal.

Nope, I play each month. I just don’t grind high ranks.

I am saying that when I friend my opponents their rank is diamond or higher, but mine is not. I am matched by my MMR, but not getting stars or rewards like the people who I am matched against.

Stated differently, I have to grind one star at a time from platinum ten on against legend or D5 players… which would have never happend in the old system, matched by rank.

This is not what has happened at all. Which is the source of my complaint.

Hey, you just put those goal posts anywhere you need them, k? The fact remains that matched by rank is different opponents than matched by mmr and time of the month is not a factor at all now because rank isn’t part of the match considerations.

It doesn’t matter anymore. You get the same difficulty first match as last match now all month long!

1 Like

It has felt that way. I’m just speaking from my last, what, 11 years of playing? This is new.

I got way less stars this month. I only climbed to Plat last month, and I got a 3 star bonus this month. Crazy. I’m used to 7-10 for plat-diamond.

1 Like

This is indeed weird then. Not giving you the stars, yet matching you with Diamonds doesn’t make sense at all. Clearly something is wrong.

1 Like

It happened to me too. I am only getting 3 stars, despite ending last month as plat. You may think me a dog, but I can confirm this is happening.

But, I find the matches still more balanced and fun, unless it is Druid. So, I am climbing at about the same rate.

1 Like

Yes, because your skill doesn’t change just because the calendar hits 1.

There is no problem.

If you want to climb, then, respectfully,

git gud

If you want to contribute, be smart, and have a good argument, don’t say, “git gud.” You are just a childish robot. “Git gud” means nothing, except that you are a sheep.

I said plenty beyond that, but if you don’t care to read it I can’t help it.

I read it. Sorry. Just all reads as garbage to me.

But I shouldn’t expect anymore from you. Unlike most people here who I do not agree with, you have literally never said anything intelligent.

This is wrong

Season reset is a soft MMR reset - you still play against opponents with the same number of stars and MMR, but the more you play, the higher your MMR goes, so the later you grind it out, the easier the games will be, as usual

Just not as easy as it used to be

Every time you reply you demonstrate your lack of understanding of the issue.

No, it’s not wrong at all.

Nope. You’re going to have to show me a dev comment or post to support this because this is not what we’ve been told. There is no reset down for anyone. There is a reset up if you tanked your MMR to stop people from smurfing after they get a rank floor, but that’s it.

That being said, in the new system stars are not a factor in any way beyond the coincidental extent that they correlate to MMR at high ranks.

You act like normal people’s mmr varies widely in a given month and that’s simply a false perception. The more you play, the less it moves because the more accurate it is.

You are still looking at this like you are matched to people in a rank bracket, and that’s not how it works. If you start the month with 11 stars, you’re going to play rank matches against your peers at all ranks all the time. Same goes for 10, 9, etc. It doesn’t change at all during the month relative to your rank because rank is not a factor in the match.

Up until this conversation I would have said people accusing others of being pro-company were barking up the wrong tree, but the sheer unwillingness of that person to see another perspective here is amazing.