MMR matches are [not really] broken

And you are still assuming that there’s a meaningful difference.

There is not.

It’s not worth the time.

They don’t want to see facts, they only want to argue.

This is a double negative.

And I’m not making anything up.

I am fully understanding how match worked before and how it works now.

You are unwilling to see what we’re trying to say. We’ve said it perfectly well in multiple ways. I won’t waste anymore time on it with you.

2 Likes

A quick update for my EU check. As I have wider pool of people to play with I’m able to actually progress and made it to gold 10 (it takes longer with no bonus stars so ranks are low obviously).

Again I’m playing against people with legend card backs and netdecks but at least there’s variety so I’m beating hunters, mages and shamans and care less about any handbuff paladin on my way forward.

I’d say that the system works in general but is very vulnerable to the number of players around and low/middle rank player is doomed if played not during the peak hours (as legend players are more dedicated to the game and are present during different hours). The overall experience is smooth now.

Unfortunately so far EU people do not accept friend requests so I’m yet to discover their current ranks and there’s no stat for this from my side. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not what I had in mind while defending the MMR changes, but it seems the changes were actually helpful for people who never hit legend before

A friend just told me he managed to hit it for the first time ever, and there’s this post from yesterday:

So there you have it. Turns out there’s much more players like Neon Ghost who liked to feast on easy hardstuck diamonds and gatekeep proper diamonds than there’s actual hardstuck diamonds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If people are actually hitting legend now when they couldn’t before, then this is indeed a good change. Possibly my fears were for nothing. I am interested to see how this actually shakes out long term

Hey all, check this:

Feels bad for that new player. What was there about false simpathy to them?

Judging your opponent based on hero portraits is silly. I have golden mage and hunter portraits and lose plenty in low ranked wild

2 Likes

What does a 4-month player expect? To hit legend? It took me much more than that first time I played the game and I’m not really what you can call a bad player xD

Meaningless testimony. That person DOES belong to silver, at best.

1 Like

Well, I’ve hit my legend during the second month back in the days when quest warlock was a thing. All of the guides are out there in the Internet anyway and I was just lucky to craft that deck first. HS was never hard to climb at least since I know it. I can’t say for classic era neither do I care tbh, cause that was 10 years ago.

Of course people will complain now, that makes sense. What I still find strange is that this guy believes he faces ppl higher then his actuall skill. Adding the fact that I’ve been sent a huge emotional message from a D4 hunter that lost to my G8 priest it starts to look a bit suspicious. I mean either that hunter does not belong to diamond and his actuall skill is gold (how is he up there then) or MMR does not match ranks right now and needs some long distance to recalibrate the ladder and throw some people down next few months.

If we’ll throw away all this discussion of skill/MMR/ranks/etc I’m just trying to make a point that system is good in theory but in practice we may see some adjustments later as it may work less accurate then predicted by Blizzard.

2 Likes

It was indeed much harder back in the day, when the ranks went from 25 to Legend, so in the period of your first legend it a lot easier

Nothing strange there - it’s common for every game with MMR and it’s common for all people in general. It even has a few names in science - in psychology we call it Dunning-Kruger effect and in sociology it’s called Illusory Superiority. Apparently, people always overestimate themselves (or in this case, the strength of their opponents)

I wouldn’t be surprised, it’s rare in this game that they nail something for the first time.

I did, however, vehemently oppose the theory posted in this thread by you and Neon Ghost on the basis of poor arguments and own experience, and now, beside those things, I also have testimonies of people who hit legend for the first time just now after that patch, although they haven’t been able to do it for a year and even more.

That’s enough proofs for me.

1 Like

If a player made every attempt to make the maximum rank possible each month, then they are not likely to notice a difference in this system. I think this is the majority of players.

If a player did not make every attempt to rank to maximum each month, there is a very high likelihood that their ranking and MMR are not in sync. The player will most likely not enjoy the new matching system.

It is obvious to anyone who takes the time to understand that it will be harder for many players; however, I do not expect enough players to be effected that blizzard makes an effort to change anything.

2 Likes

And 500 wins doesn’t mean their opponent is actually better than them.

4 Likes

Isn’t that really more like conspiracy theorism/paranoia?

Well, there’s plenty of those around, so it would be foolish of me to claim it’s certainly not the case

That said, I do believe it’s likely just dunning-kruger as it’s much more common

Can it even be called a paranoia if there’s no fear for safety involved? I think that’s a much more serious and rare case than just conspiracy theories and/or Dunning-kruger

1 Like

Aerthis also made it after few years of trying xD

At this point, there’s not a person in the world who can tell me the MMR changes are worse :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very happy to hear this

2 Likes

All right, so with the reset I’ve received 9 bonus stars even that the rank has been Gold 3 and I’ve been playing with legends at around 16k (so something like real D5+).

The system works but first month is gatekept for sure. As I see from the bonus stars, part of the older lower legends probably won’t make it this month past D5, on the other hand it is easier to move forward as long as you have bonus stars as once you’ll face 3 druids you won’t expect them again with higher chance (compared to older D5 10 paladins you could’ve met which just steal wins from each other and eventually play with someone else - you). :slight_smile:

So if you don’t care about first month then the system is good. If you do - well you’d better not and the system is good.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions in this thread, that was an interesting discussion. :+1:

1 Like

None of that is relevant to any position that has been taken here.

What’s happening here is peopl with 10+ stars are unwilling to listen to anyone who doesn’t share their experiences.

After playing all of my matches against D5+ ranked players last month, I was given… six stars for this month, matching my platinum 10 final ranking. I friended more than a dozen opponents to check, all of them were D5+ ranked while I was in platinum with no stars.

Tell me how we can be matched by MMR, and stars are based on MMR, but I don’t have as many stars (or month end rewards) as the people I have to play all day every day now?

This idea that I was smurfing is laughable. I play until I don’t want to play anymore each month. Nothing about that is smurfing, and if stars are MMR based then the issue is blizzard’s not mine.

I don’t think anyone has done anything intentionally to me specifically, another player specifically, or that there is anything nefarious about their intentions here.

I think blizzard made a choice that solved a bot issue, but traded it for some other issues that are going to come up down the road. It remains to be seen what effect the changes will have. I expect as time goes on, you will see win rates for decks narrow at lower ranks similar to what happens at higher ranks because rank will not be relevant to matching going forward.

So when the data doesn’t support your position, you’re already telling us you’re going to hand wave it way because you can’t see it from your house, which seems to be exactly how you roll.

And I did not. Wth?

Good for you. I was hoping this would be the caseb, but I guess not.

Actually, the data do support my decision. I personally know 3-4 players who hit legend for the first time ever since the MMR changes, which clearly indicates the legend grind is now easier, not harder.

And if you think about the possible reasons how that’s possible, only one thing comes to mind - it’s because they don’t get matched with “smurfs” anymore, mid-legend players who prey on hardstuck diamonds to have easier matches on their path to legend.

So yeah. There’s that.

After the change I hit my highest rank ever. Diamond 2. For me it is definently easier than before.

3 Likes