Mercenaries packs - Bugged duplicate protection

I purchased a 50 pack bundle of the Mercenaries mode and overall opened 60 packs at launch.
The rules on pack opening clearly state: “One item per pack will always be a Mercenary Card and adhere to the rarity guidelines below, and this will always be a Mercenary that you don’t own until you own all Mercenary Cards of that rarity. Once you own all the Mercenary cards of a rarity, you will obtain Mercenary Portraits of that rarity, instead.
The link to the rules: https://eu.battle.net/support/it/article/32545
Instead, I opened several epic and legendary mercenary portraits well before owning all of them (12+ legendary mercenaries and a couple epic mercenaries still missing in my collection).
This is a blatant infringement of the rules. Can we have a clear explanation of what is going on?
I want what I paid for, or at least a refund.

5 Likes

I had the same issue. I purchased the $19.99 Tavern PAckage with two guaranteed legendaries. I was missing 5 so felt it was a good shot to fill in needed collection points. One of the two was King Krush, who I already had. And since I already had it, the game said “Oh you have that so here’s 75 tokens.” So a double screw job for $20, here’s 15% of guaranteed value for the money.

the text you quoted dont say you cant get portraits before having all mercenaries.
And so it dont say you will find 60 different mercenaries in 60 packs.

If it work like normal hearthstone a legendary cards is averaged 1 on 20 packs , worst case scenarios are 1 on 40 packs , the first 35 packs are below 25% of finding a legendary , 38rd pack is 55% to find legendary , 39rd pack is 75% , 40th is 100%

for epic is similar , average 1 on 5 , worst case 1 on 10 packs , 7th pack 30% , 8th pack 50% , 9th 80% , 10th 100%

blizzards rules just say 1 legendary on 40 packs , 1 epic in 10 packs.

yea ive been getting coin only packs for a bit, id understand it if i atleast had all the mercs and the portraits were random but im still missing a tad few mercs

1 Like

My issue was specifically with a Legendary purchase. I bought the guaranteed Two Legendaries for $19.99 and it gave me a Dupe with 5 missing. It is broken.

i checked the store and the 19.99 it’s one legenday and one epic , not 2 legendary
And probabily you get a portait not a duplicate.

I also opened 50-55 packs and I also got many of them without a mercenary card inside even tho I`m missing lots of mercenary cards, just 5 coin bundles again and again…

1 Like

The current rules state that each pack contains 5 items. Only one (1) of those five (5) items (the reserved Mercenary Card drop) has full duplicate protection for Mercenary Cards and Mercenary Portraits, going from Cards to Portraits to Coins, depending on if your collection is complete.

If you already own all the Mercenary Cards of the determined rarity, the reserved slot will choose a random Mercenary of the same rarity and grant a Mercenary Portrait you don’t yet own for that mercenary. If you already own all the Mercenary Portraits of the chosen Mercenary, the portrait is automatically converted into Coins of that Mercenary (the number of Coins depends on the rarity of the item. See the Mercenary Portraits Drop Rates section below for more information).

The items obtained from the other four slots in a pack can be a Mercenary Card, Coins, or Portraits, from which you may obtain Mercenary Portraits of Mercenaries that you own before owning all Mercenary Cards of the rarity.

The other 4 items in a pack do not have this duplicate protection for Mercenary Cards, but they do have duplicate protection for Mercenary Portraits:

You will not obtain the same Mercenary Portrait until you own all the Mercenary Portraits for that Mercenary. Once you own all the Portraits for a Mercenary, you can obtain a second copy of a Mercenary Portrait, which will automatically be converted into Coins of that Mercenary: 50 coins for Rare, 75 coins for Epic, and 100 coins for Legendary Mercenaries.

TL:DR;

• Each pack 5 items
  • Only 1 item has duplicate protection for Mercenary Cards and Portraits
  • 4 items have duplicate protection for Mercenary Portraits
  • There is never duplicate protection for Mercenary Coins

Instead, I opened several epic and legendary mercenary portraits well before owning all of them (12+ legendary mercenaries and a couple epic mercenaries still missing in my collection).

This should not occur indeed, although I admit the rules contradict themselves:

The items obtained from the other four slots in a pack can be a Mercenary Card, Coins, or Portraits, from which you may obtain Mercenary Portraits of Mercenaries that you own before owning all Mercenary Cards of the rarity.

VS

You will not obtain the same Mercenary Portrait until you own all the Mercenary Portraits for that Mercenary. Once you own all the Portraits for a Mercenary, you can obtain a second copy of a Mercenary Portrait, which will automatically be converted into Coins of that Mercenary: 50 coins for Rare, 75 coins for Epic, and 100 coins for Legendary Mercenaries.

Both statements cannot logically be true.

I can no longer see it since it was purchased but I don’t believe that is correct. I received Jaina and b/c I owned King Krush it gave me tokens with a message that since I own the card here are some tokens instead. Still missing three legendaries.

The other poster is correct. The two Mercenaries and 20 Mercenary Packs Bundle gives one random Legendary Mercenary and one random Epic Mercenary.

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/3705-mercenaries-launch-and-welcome-bundles-now-available-get-legendary-mercenaries-packs-for-cheap

Jaina is the Legendary Mercenary and King Krush is the Epic Mercenary.

So check if you have all Epic Mercenaries.

I ve some issue. But I opened 200+ packs (

I have same issue, i m opening packs and getting just packs without guarnated mercenary card, also I m getting skins for legendary cards, while I only have 6 legendary cards! They stated that it is not possible to get legendary skin if you do not have already all legendary cards, its nonsense!!!

Last time, I opened 61 packs to get 1 legendary merc without any legendary portrait came meanwhile even.
This time, I opened another 44 packs and there was not a legendary merc still, but there was a legendary portrait around the 14th pack or so. However, according to the official post, “You are guaranteed one new Mercenary Card in each Mercenaries Pack until you have all Mercenaries of a rarity tier”.

I properly quote the official post as an evidence in my topic, as well as their drop rate, and some similar complaints from others. Just too lazy to do the whole thing again:

Hi all,
I just opened the single pack for reaching 5000MMR, and had the lucky surprise to see the glow of a legendary card in this pack (just for precision, all other slots were coins). I thought it would be either Edwin or Valeera, since i own all other mercenaries now, but i was surprised and disapointed to see a Diablo skin (Semi-disapointed yeah…).
So i was wondering if it is normal or i should get all worked up?

That is normal. They probably ought to give portraits a different glow, or at least create some kind of marker to indicate which of those 5 reward slots is your guaranteed merc slot. I think that would clear up a lot of confusion, but essentially this is how pack opening works:

Each pack has 1 “guaranteed merc” reward slot and 4 other random slots. When you open your pack it first rolls a rarity for the guaranteed slot, each rarity will always have a fixed percent chance to get rolled regardless of what your collection looks like. The odds are around 1 in 20 for it to roll a legendary, 1 in 8 to roll an epic, and everything else will be rare. Or in other words your guaranteed slot has a 5% chance to roll legendary, a 12.5% chance to roll epic, and a roughly an 82.5% chance to roll rare. Once the rarity has been determined it then checks to see if you are missing any mercs of that rarity. If you are then your guaranteed slot will contain one of those missing mercenaries chosen at random. If you already own all mercenaries of that rarity then it will randomly choose ANY one mercenary of that rarity regardless of what your collection looks like, and check to see if you own all of the portraits for that particular mercenary. If not than one of the portraits that you are missing for that mercenary will be randomly chosen (with a slightly lower chance for diamond portraits) and you will receive that portrait in your guaranteed slot. If you already own all of the portraits for that mercenary then you will receive coins for that mercenary instead with a fixed conversion rate of 50 coins for rare, 75 coins for epic, and 100 coins for legendary. Keep in mind that if you do own all of the mercenaries of a particular rarity it does NOT take your collection into consideration when determining which mercenary to reward a portrait for. That means that if you own all of the rare mercenaries and all of the portraits for Samuro but only the base portrait for Xyrella, the guaranteed slot in your next pack opening could still end up being 50 coins for Samuro instead of a portrait for Xyrella.
The remaining 4 slots do not use the duplicate protection rules. Regardless of what your collection look like, they will each individually roll for rarity, then roll a random mercenary of that rarity, and then roll to determine whether to reward coins for that mercenary or a portrait. If it rolls a portrait then it will use dup protection to reward you a portrait that you don’t yet own for that mercenary. If you already own each portrait for that mercenary then it will give you the converted coin value listed above instead.

Essentially what all of that means is that you are currently unable to obtain portraits of a particular rarity from the guaranteed slot until you’ve obtained all of the mercs of that rarity, but you can still obtain portraits of that rarity from any of the other 4 slots prior to obtaining all of the mercs of that rarity. It also means that it will be possible to get packs with nothing but coins in it even without owning all of the portraits of any rarity. If this ever happens, it should be pretty easy to tell which slot was your guaranteed slot because it will always contain either 50 rare coins, 75 epic coins, or 100 legendary coins.

I hope that cleared things up.

the issue isnt on blizz side of things, the issue is that you played mercs