Matchmaking system rigged

Hello everyone, i’m a casual player, free to play and therefor frequently already at a disadvantage compared to players that buy and players that spend more time on the game. While i liked the game before, right now for me it’s at a very bad spot. I’ve got 2 somewhat viable decks that are weak against certain archetypes. the matchmaking system however 90% of the time sets me up against exactly the types of decks that are impossible for me to win ever. At first i thought it was coincidence as i played only one deck. Recently i made a second deck to check if i would have more success and to my surprise the decks that my first deck had trouble with, but my 2nd deck would have no issue with, all of a sudden disappear. Same with switching back and forth. It is really rare for me to have a matchup in which i’m somewhat favored. I’ve switched back and forth enough times now to see that it’s a solid pattern.

i cannot understand why you would add such a feature and think players would be ok with it. I’m not seeing myself buy any other games than i already have from your company because of decisions like these and others with D3+Reapers, SC2 etc. Good luck to you all

9 Likes

They didn’t; you’re experiencing confirmation bias.

4 Likes

You can’t dismiss it as confirmation bias when against one deck it’s almost only aggro and facing almost no nasty res priests and vice versa. They’ve put something in the match making system or your matching wouldn’t change like that every time you change deck.

6 Likes

No, they haven’t.

You’re experiencing confirmation bias.

Your data pool is too small to infer anything except coincidence.

2 Likes

you can repeat it all you want, that doesn’t make it true

7 Likes

How would that work? Making you lose so much? If they do that 90% of the time (as you said), you would be more likely to quit the game. The goal should be making sure you have fun, so that you keep playing and maybe start paying.
(And no, losing does not make you start paying money “so that you can win”, that is not how that works)

The first argument that people have would be, so that paying players win more. But that would mean, that you are matched against paying players 90% of the time.

We do not know how many players are paying players, but we could asume that it is less than 25%, and less than 1% would be considert “whales”, players who spent a lot.

So if f2p are getting matched against paying players, that would not happen 90% of the time, would it?

Yes i am sure Blizzard would manipulate the matchmaking, if that means making more money.
But making sure you are losing 90% of your games does not do that.

3 Likes

I got tired of losing with fel hunter today so i started playing beast hunter.

I suddenly got matched against decks i didnt even know were still be played in standard.

Just bias though :wink:

6 Likes

Just because the players are focused on what decks they’re playing & what decks they’re facing; it doesn’t logically follow that the matchmaking algorithm cares.

It simply doesn’t come into consideration.

Yeah okay I’ll make this comment after all. This is also enough data to back up my own theory that Blizzard is not basing their matchmaking on either time played, money paid but specifically to mess with you to have you make this forum post and leave the game.

And they succeeded :ok_hand:

If I end up being wrong here, it’s equally ridiculous.

This argument always goes around in circles. At some point the link to their patent on the algorithm gets posted.

People still deny it exists and round and roind the argument goes.

This forum is FILLED with posts about players getting sick of a deck so they decide to play a deck specifically to counter it. Low and behold they dont get matched against that deck anymore.

8 Likes

And still, nobody can explain why Blizzard seems to take some accounts and decide “this account will lose 90% off games”
Why would they do this?

And the patent? i have no idea why people always talk about it, it does not work on HS.

Quote:

For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results.

You can not buy a specific card, so that you than get matched against a player who is weak against that card.

You could match a player against a weaker player after every purchase instead.
But there are 2 problems with that theory:

1. It has nothing to do with the patent
  2. see my post about the amount of paying players. You would not lose 90% of your matches as f2p, because there are not enugh paying players, that you would always get matched against one.

The whole “i ALWAYS face decks that counter me, this game is rigged” makes no sense.
It would not be a benefit for Blizzard.

1 Like

Like I said the argument goes around in circles :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Confirmation bias”

https://i.imgur.com/OyfF4tU.jpeg

2 Likes

You don’t link directly to the patent. The link will mysteriously vanish. However, you do encourage posters to research the actiblizz matchmaking patent on their own.

“COUGH” diamond drek “cough”

But you really think they can’t track your purchases (we know they can (diamond loatheb is one example), and match you based on that? The obvious answer is yes. The “weapon” example from the patent is one from a non card game, and clearly they could sub in cosmetics, more legendaries, player with higher purchases, etc in order to encourage spending.

If you think the same company that just dropped diablow payportal isn’t using this algorithm, I have a bridge to sell you.

“It’s all in your head man, the company doesn’t track your games and mess with matchmaking!”

-posters who act as spokespersons or promoters for the company, in clear denial of all facts, logic, evidence (especially the company’s own patent) to the contrary)

2 Likes

this game has turned into a slot machine. one day you get lucky get every card on curve its cool then the next time you log in you get destroyed cause you won to much on previous log in. if your luck of card draw changes everytime you log in it seems rigged like a slot machine with predetermined outcomes unless your opponent is just brain dead or doesnt know how to play which blizzard hopes for to hide this from everyone.

2 Likes

The matchmaking system does not use your deck archetype to determine your matchup.

Here’s how it works according to Blizzard:

At the end of each month, players are assigned a star multiplier based on their finishing rank. That multiplier can be adjusted up in some cases where a player finishes with a low rank but maintains a very high MMR. That star multiplier allows players to advance through the lower ranks more quickly, moving them up to a rank at which they meet comparable competition to their skill level. The star multiplier decays by 1 at each rank floor (B5, S10, S5, G10, etc.) until the player eventually earns only 1 star per win. (Note that the 3 game win streak double-bonus is completely independent of the multiplier feature.)

While you still have a star multiplier, you will be matched against other players based on your MMR. This endeavors to match people with similar skill levels. Once your star multiplier has decayed all the way down to 1, you are matched by your Rank. And when you are in Legend, you are again matched by MMR. Casual mode players are matched by MMR.

The matchmaking system does not look at your deck composition or your win/loss streak or if you are a paying player or if you put on clean underwear this morning. It looks at your MMR and your Rank. That’s all. If anyone has a statistically relevant body of data of sufficient sample size that might suggest otherwise, they are welcome to post it.

2 Likes

I am constantly playing against legend level players, while never been legend on this account. If we had the same skill level as advertised, I’d be in legend levels also. Not in gold.
Explain it.

4 Likes

How do you know you are playing against a Legend player?

Wait. You don’t know something this basic? And you presume to lecture us how the matchmaking works? Riiiight.

3 Likes

if he lost to them then they are legend level players

3 Likes