[Main Thread] Crashing When Chatting or Adding Friend

This was a problem for few months, and I thought Blizzard solved it until the latest patch - it came back. Whenever you try to chat someone on friendslist game crashes, whenever someone sends you a message and you even, unfortunately, click on the bubble the game crashes. Pls, fix it because it is frustrating.

2 Likes

I have same problem. I can’t talk with my contact.

Hey there! Does it help to try changing the language? Settings > General > Language & Region > iDevice Language. Try setting it to English if its set to a different language to test.

If this helps, please let us know, so that we can get this on our team’s radar again. Here’s the older thread about the issue.

I’ll close the other one down so we can get updated tracking for after the 16.4 patch :slight_smile: Thanks for the report!

Hi, I try to change the language in English and the game crash. So, the problem is not fix. I have a mini ipad 4 IOS 13.3.1.

Last patch came with broken chat functionality, again.

Reporting it for another user.

Interrestingly, iOS 12.4.5 was released on January 28, 2020. Previous chat issue, was announced to be fixed by Caterpepi on January 31.

Why fixing the issue took 3 months? How long is it going to take this time? Is it under Blizzard or Apple responsibility?

It was confirm the issue was fixed for some time. The issue was replicated and everyone on the thread really helped out with the issue, so our team was able to replicate and patch the issue. It seems it returned with the 16.4 patch and this is why a separate thread was created so that we can track this accordingly for the new 16.4 patch.

We need reports of this issue and to confirm if the old workaround helps at all, so that this can be escalated to our team to replicate the problem and find the core cause of the issue. Once we can replicate and find the cause to the issue, our developers can work on a fix.

If anyone else is experiencing the issue, please report here. If you can try the old workaround posted above, and let us know your results, it’s appreciated!

Thank you for your reports and concerns about this issue. Hopefully, we’ll have more information with this issue after the 16.4 patch and have this looked over by our team!

I noticed the issue occurring after sending in-game msg to a friend upon login in, then before receiving a reply, I joined to watch the ongoing game which that person was playing in wild ladder. I then continued chatting and when the person tried to respond, its Hearthstone crashed.

I cant say whether this does trigger the issue, but its what occurred since the last time chat was working.

It helped on iOS 13.3.1 iPad 5th gen. but I’d rather keep my settings in French and my hearthstone app in English. I won’t change my settings for one app.

1 Like

When a “chat system” doesn’t support the language typed, it can display a square (sometimes with a question mark inside) instead of the character.

Between the letters used in french and english for example, there are only 6 of them which differ by having an accent. By adding an option to display square signs when an accent would be used, people could still be able to read the chat and also write it even if a few letters doesn’t display correctly.

Otherwise, improving the chat functionality of Hearthstone to fully support different language being displayed in it would be the best fix, if possible.

Thank you

Hi there
After maybe 2 years without in game msgs on the iOs app I finally jump
in here in order to try a fix. For me iPhone X formerly in french language was always crashing when typing on a name in my friends list. After reading most of the topic I finally tried to set my iDevice language in English and wow !!! The crashes instantly stops ! Try to set it back to French and boom ! Crashes comes back again :frowning:
So yes the previous fix works for me.

Thank you for the update, Arj2000! I’ve added this over to our tracking. Our team is continuing to looking into this issue for a resolution :slight_smile:

Any updates on a fix?

Still have this bug on iPhone XS ios 13 (french)…
Cant chat at all in game as soon as i click on a friend in friendlist it crash the app!

If i change my iPhone to english its ok! But id like to keep my game im my native language (french)

Same here. Still not working, I’m playing on an iPhone XS Max (iOS 13.4.1) and European servers.

1 Like

Same problem here…

1 Like

I never had the issue, but was describing it for another person.

I can’t reproduce the issue when changing Hearthstone language from english (on english iOS) to its french version.

No updates yet. It’s not forgotten, we just don’t want to bump this thread continually without important information to share and thus far we don’t have any. If we hear anything, we’ll let you know. In the mean time, please ensure you’re trying the work around if you’re using a non-english language to play the game.

the new patch solved chat problems,
but now you cannot switch regions on IOS app, it is bugged, you cant click the confirm button which switches regions. nice

I’m facing the same problem on macOS 10.15.5.
Switching the language does not work, as well as the old workaround.

Same here. The game instantly crashes when I try to invite a friend. I think it’s by design to prevent me from adding friends. I have 136 friends and I was hoping for more :frowning: