Legends of Runeterra

Is a CCG based in the world of LOL.
From the few games I’ve played in it, it looks like it is everything that HS is not:
It is NOT based on RNG effects.
It is NOT long-1-sided-turns
It IS possible to mitigate your oponents actions (or atleast some of them)

I would like to thanks the person that mentioned this CCG on this forum.

This expansion has beaten me. I’m tired of playing the one same warlock deck and even more tired of facing just the same 3 decks over and over and over again.
(FYI , I did get to Plat10, which is considered top 20% or so, so please spare me the “git gud” responses :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT:
The most important thing for me: NO ROPING on T1-4. No more 4 minutes wait untill you start the game. If you dont have any card that is playable - the turn is ended automatically.

EDIT 2:
After playing LoR for 2 weeks now, I can say that my initial impression was wrong.
It is MUCH BETTER than my initial impression…
I can honestly say that all of the above is still true, with no-roping is still the best part of the switch from HS to LoR.
Other good parts are :

1. There is no crazy shady rng things going on. Looks like the RNG is limited to the cards draw and the cards you can select thru the discover mechanism of LoR. (also, a small rng in the pirate deck but its really minor)
  2. I started climbing the ranks. @silver1 atm. Still no shady decks like 0 cost cards or infinite dmg or rez… (who can remember how annoying that mech is) …damn I just had a flashback … DAMN YOU PRIESTS! :slight_smile:
  3. The deep mechanism is nice and funny. and I have been beating it . even after Nautilus and Maoky were played. (stunned the first killed the second) .
  4. I run 2 decks atm. both based on stuns. its pretty terrible to play against them :P. one is paired with Yassou and the other with Dragons and Zoe. I got to have a board of 6x Fury-Lifesteal-Overwhelm … OP ? Perhaps, but it take like 15 cards to build (maybe more). That’s a lot.
  5. There are a few fast decks but I see them very rarely (1 in 6 games? ) and I never see the same deck in a row . Hey! identical decks are sooo rare that its amazing.
  6. Que times: about the same as they are in HS.

EDIT 3 (11/23/2021):

I was just commenting on the new AV Xpac and mentioned Runterra so I thought I would revisit this and update with my aventures in the land of Runeterra.

I will start with some updates related to my last edit(#2):

1. Still holds true.
  2. Kinda stuck in the silver level. moving in the range of 1-3.
    One deck/hero has a massive rez ability to rez all units that died this turn. I dont see it too many times. Also, I have learned how to counter it. Either by a “deny” spell that prevents the rez spell from triggering or by knowing when and what to kill. This is still annoying. Not as much as the rez Anduin decks in wild.
  3. OK. something went wrong with the deep decks. seems like I cant beat anyone with my deck while enemy decks beat me now. I see a deep deck like once-twice in 3-4 hours of play. I can live with that.
  4. Still holds. I do run more decks now. most of them with Demacia heroes, most of them has Lux . She is awesome . :slight_smile:
  5. Still true.
  6. still true

New inputs:
A. As a promo for the new Xpac, they have launched a series of quest giving away free Champions (i.e. Legendary). 2 copies (out of 3 permitted in a deck) x 3 + 2 copies of a new one.
B. The rate in which you can get new cards is still amazing to me. not only you earn new(old and current) cards just by playing the game, you dont have to buy “packs” and then d/e them to craft new cards. You simply earn “wild cards” that can be traded-in for a copy of the card you want to craft.
this is a much better way imo from a pov of a ftp player.
Also, players that wish to buy cards with real money can buy the exact card they want. No need to buys shady papcks and then pray for the RNGods to give you enough rare/golden cards to d/e to have enough dust to craft the card you want .

Thats all for now :slight_smile:

25 Likes

I also wanted to try Runeterra but being an old league of legends player ruined it for me haha.
Seeing so many characters from the game that I played for years should of made it better, but it actually made it worse for me.
I guess that’s because I always seen LoL’s champions very “robotic” due to their constant 5v5 fighting so their lore became somehow uninteresting(a robotic police girl is fighting a huge crocodile?? A ninja is fighting a singer woman?), also the DJ, flashy, star-guardian, etc. skins that has no tangence with champions’s storylines.
In Hearthstone I liked that every card had it’s personality and there are those cards that I just love to use for their art and voicelines.
But of course that’s just a me problem.

2 Likes

I recommend LOR for every Hearthstone player.

It doesn’t matter if the person sticks with LOR or not (I played 6 months), they will have a different perspective on CCGs.

BTW, there’s RNG effects. There’s RNG card generation; some RNG effects see play in top decks.

9 Likes

and if someone doesnt like tickatus here

wont like the card they have on that game able to leave you only with 4 non champion cards

2 Likes

Maokai is the card you’re talking about, and in order to activate the effect your opponent has to discard more than half of their OWN deck. Only after discarding most of their deck can they play Maokai and destroy your deck. Much more fair than Tickatus, which has no downside (even being a strong-statted card, while Maokai is a 4 mana 1/4).

6 Likes

or have units destroyed

and they run another champion to get copies of many of those cards they destroy

1 Like

My point was really that you have to invest quite a bit to have Maokai trigger, while Tickatus has no downside at all. I’d doesn’t really matter if you have units die or even replace some tossed units, you still have to sacrifice SOMETHING. Most cards in hearthstone are trending the opposite way, just massive power plays with little to no downside. Even ones like the warlock quest, where you have to damage yourself, have the downsides negated completely by other, super powerful cards.

5 Likes

but thats what the other champion does …it pretty much negates the “having do destroy cards in your deck”

2 Likes

I think a lot of us will be joining runeterra if things don’t change. I downloaded it. Will check it out. L

3 Likes

oh you cant play both ?

HS is perfect for playing other games at the same time of course i often make my opponent wait a bit longer but it doenst matter

1 Like

You auto lose if you can’t kill the Maokai player in 4 rounds (that’s 2 attacks rounds for you non LOR players) Who cares if they have to toss half their deck?

Or are you saying you would be OK with a Tickatus that puts a ticket that destroys the hero 2 cards under if they had to toss their deck? And get +3/+3 on their Demons?

I would realy like to know why this was flagged .
(I mean other than someone is scared of some healthy competition? Since when has this became a SOVIET board, where it is only allowed to post positive reactions to the game?)

2 Likes

true, i’ve started playing Magic The Gathering Arena and i’m loving it.

i’m truly shocked at how much more skill / decision making goes into a game of magic

hearthstone truly is a solitaire experience.

i’m glad though, hearthstone being in its absolute worst state has made me try other games and i’m so happy that I tried Magic Arena because i’m having so much fun.

6 Likes

You probably will change your opinion when you meet the minion that is

1. Indestructible;
  2. 10/10;
  3. Mill 20 your cards every turn.
  4. Played at turn 5 from the graveyard.
1 Like

I really doubt he will start playing historic any time soon. It’s like saying a new HS player will quit, because he encounter crazy -censored- in wild.
So, intentionally misleading, or just lazy to get relevant info?
Also, turn 3, not 5 :wink:

i mean, i had 3 accounts in legend last month on hearthstone, in wild… so i generally know what im doing.

i’m just bored of hearthstone because it feels omega highroll / lowroll and pretty un-interactive.

if you have 2 accounts where you can play vs yourself for skirmishing you’ll see the game is only about what top 10 cards you have from the deck, super un-interesting and not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

Yes. You guys are all seeing it as “destroy your opponent’s deck”, when Maokai is really a win condition. You have to invest huge amounts of resources and build a deck around his effect, and as a reward you get to put your opponent on a timer. Tickatus requires almost no resources, no special deck building other than having a card that costs more than it. That’s the difference.

3 Likes

You didn’t answer the question.

Can we get a Tickatus 2.0 that puts a ticket (under 2 cards) that kills the opponent if they have to toss their deck?

Destroying a HS and an LOR deck have different implications.

Update:
I was really having fun right until today.
Today I have met 3-4 decks that only STUNNED my minions and I was back to wasting my time just staring at the screen while the other dude played with himself…

CCGs should realy abolish all kinds of cards that stun/reduce costs/resurrect.

Again, whats the point of printing all those cards if I cant play them thanks to shmocks that stun or w/e …

Just print 2 stun cards and 2 insta-win cards.

EDIT:

1. I joined the dark side and now I too have a MAGNIFICENT stun deck.
  2. I did get killed by that deep monster that removes your deck (-4) . It was SOO awesome I didnt even get upset. also, in a week of playing the game I only met it ONE time. not on every game. so I’m fine with it.

Mercaneries is based on Dota Underlords.