Hearthstone Masters Tour

Well, nice and quick matches, I liked it

Predicted at least 1 finalist, and between Gamer and Maxie, I’m always rooting for Maxie

ggs!

Oh come one, Altair. We all know that they are just normal gamers, they only get top spot because the game is rigged /s

1 Like

I very much doubt that. Mcbanter face is one of the scariest opponents I ever faced in top 100 or near, even more so than pocket train and other’s. Ive also watched the guy’s channels he’s very calculated, and would make an incredible poker pro IMO.

The new dude, Maxie or w/e his name is, seems like a dude that just plays a lot not necessarily well lol.

The HS Master Tour just exposes what everyone knows - HS is a brain-dead game void of any semblance of balance.

He’s a prodigy, 16 years old

Consistently top 10 both Wild and Standard, makes his own decks for the most part

A bit weird, if he makes one mistake on the stream, he either hides under the table so you can’t see him for the rest of the stream, or he ends it on the spot

Unfortunately in their finals matchup it was the RNG differential that determined the winner. Mcbanter played with the 99% odds and two matches in a row Maxie got the 1% out.

Mcbanter is good but he wasn’t upset about it. He knew it was going to be like this between their lineup since 3 out 4 players in the finals play together and brought the exact same lists.

What we learned from this tournament is that the Rogue deck is very difficult to play correctly. DK doesn’t have enough to finish game(which we already knew). Insanity Warlock is a high roll deck. Pupil needs adjusting so it’s not in every deck being abused.

1 Like

So basically, nothing new xD

1 Like

Even though druid did poorly in this MT i would say it still needs a slight adjusting because everything that is top tier is slapping druid around. Need some of those mid tier matches to have just as much of a chance IMO.

It definitely needs adjusting. The few games it was played on the MT are far from a representative sample. Besides, there are two additional factors which make it even less representative:

-most of the players came prepared to counter druid, and they did it successfully, and
-almost none of them, except Maur1 and Maxie, even play Druid on the ladder - they dislike the class or they dislike playing broken decks

And ironically, maxie didn’t even bring Druid xD

1 Like

I’m just torn on where to make the adjustment. They have so many targets that could all be a good choice.

IDK, but Doomkin costing more mana is certainly plausible

They probably won’t touch the ramp, considering they banned splish-splash and then released 2 more ramping cards

I don’t think Marin and Dorian are likely nerf targets, neither, because they’re neutral and noone else can (ab)use them as Druid

So I guess that leaves more Dragon package nerfs (Fye?, Nestmatron?) and Doomkin

Oh, and for sure, the 7 mana spell - it’s broken

(Pupil should also get nerfed, but you already said that, and it’s not just Druid nerf, but nerf for many decks)

I understand that if it was one game, but two games in a row settled by high rolls? At the highest levels of play?

Then the third and final one, I’m not counting as a high roll, even though it was because it was a Warlock mirror that is well established to be determined almost entirely on RNG even at low levels of play.

It’s just a sad state of affairs, you can’t expect a decent competition everything is determined by RNG.

Also for the record, nearly every game Maxie won vs banter was RNG and the games banter won were an display of skill in this game. I mean the placement of his minions in the pally and warlock game basically gave him the win the next turn. Also used divine shield to prevent the aoe clear, everything he did was measured and correct.

Maxie played impulsively and fast, making dubious plays that ended up winning him games due to rolls going his way.

1 Like

That’s actually quite the contrast to Mc banter face. If you ever watch his stream it’s pretty awesome. After every major play and even minor ones he goes and asks “was that the correct play?” Then spends like ten minutes on stream going over possible ways he could of done better and explaining his reasoning. Guys defn good.

If you look at the difference between the decent vs the goats in any field, it’s nearly always the guys asking, could I have done better? Perpetual dissatisfaction with self performance is the key ingredient to drive the incessant self improvement needed to be the best of the best.

If dude hides behind a table when he makes mistakes he’s got a lot to learn. Life is all about making mistakes and learning from them.

2 Likes

The highrolls right now are just nuts. So many matches were determined by RNG hitting a highroll or super bad luck. It’s painful to watch, but it’s my experience in game as well.

I just had a game where I was beating a Mage he had 4 health left and I was full with 4 armor.

He plays Yogg in the Box.

Plays the Priest spell summons a board full of 1/1’s with lifesteal, next spell was wave of nostalgia.

What did it summon? Literally 5 Pirates (wtf?) some random minion and then the Pirate that gives all others charge.
GG I lose because of RNG.

It feels bad.

1 Like

You should see pocket train playing a rogue he called “crap rogue” a couple of patches ago. It was really not a crap rogue in reality; it was just EXTREMELY high skill to play; the APM needed to play was obscene.

He was literally ROPING out of time in most games when he was producing “just” lethals; “just good” players have no chance at all; that needed BOTH extreme calculation skills AND extreme APM skill.

I’ll assume that was the old Water Rogue were they make the big dagger to end the game? I’ve seen that one played as well and yeah it’s a massive APM deck. Two different decks that both require two different skill sets from basically the same card.

I don’t get all the hype on the apm thing. It didn’t feel like some extraordinary APM to me. You just get the 6 damage from Griftah, and bounce a few tidepools back and forth. If opponent is at 30 health, you only need 5 spells. To get to that 5 spells you just needed to play like 10 cards. It’s not really high APM. The hard part is not playing the cards fast. The hard part is getting griftah cards that keep you alive long enough to play the combo.

Deck is waaaaay overhyped on how hard it is to get the combo off. The skill is knowing when to get the 12 health and when to get the damage and when to get the mind control card.

I just consider myself an above average player and not some elite player and I didn’t find the deck difficult as people keep proclaiming.

I guess compared to brain dead aggro decks it is more difficult.

Has anyone else played the deck and consider it hard to play honestly?

1 Like

I think he was referring to the old Water Rogue deck not this new one. The new requires a massive amount of hand tracking and clever use of the pirates to get huge discounts to get the turn 6 lethal. It’s a much harder deck to play than it looks. If you do it correctly you can create an infinite loop and stall out games where you are getting pressured.

Unfortunately with Sunday’s players have 3 that play together and had mirror lineups you weren’t going to see how the deck fully plays when under pressure. It was all a race on Sunday to each combo kill.

Yeah the dagger decks seem way harder to play. Sonya Griftah Rogue isn’t really that difficult imo. Play 6 dmg spell, play 0 cost version. Play tidepool, play 6 dmg again. Play it again for 0. Breakdance tideoool, play the 0 cost one in hand. Play 6 dmg spell and win. 9 actions to play for 30 damage. Is that really some super hard apm?

Like the hardest thing about the deck is getting griftah to get you the 6 dmg spell and drawing your cards.

The deck had very bad stats on all rank brackets, while pocket train kept on winning.
Maybe you were as good as pocket train or close.