Created By RAGE

On 3 HP,
got 2 big taunts, in the way no SW : Pain or Death left, No Mass dispel left, No Silence left.

Priest plays Renew discovers Mass Dispel and can kill me …

How the F can you play around discover mechanics ??

I know this is a rage comment but please in all seriousness after you know your opponent has no other way to deal with a taunt and then plays a renew and just gets given a random card which allows them to kill you is pure RNG rolling at it,s best.

Just feels like a really cheap loss at that point.

I mean losing because you didnt get a removal card to deal with that card that summons another huge card from their deck on turn 6 is 1 thing and I can accept that as pure RNG loss as hey if you dont get your removal then lose its a card game so it can happen but to lose from a card that NEVER existed in the opponents deck to begin with omg… lol

3 Likes

Renew is the best, i might run a second one, thanks for the idea/motivation.

1 Like

You generally don’t and just hope they don’t get the perfect card. And overall Discover is indeed no Zephrys.

If you think it’s so strong/broken/OP you can play it yourself. (To the extend you can include such cards in the type of deck you want to play.)

But I guess you’re the type of person that doesn’t even want to play in such a way. And to be fair there should be like custom game modes with less (and also more) RNG/Discover in my opinion.

1 Like

I am the type of person who knows “I have my opponent on the ropes, He has used all his removal”, So therefore a taunt should WORK as a taunt he should not be able to play Renew pull a Mass Dispel from his behind and get a card which enables him to win.

I will agree that their should be a Mode which allows no discover mechanics , no random effects but this would never be a game mode as Blizzard love the meme moments where someone has youtube clipped a Puzzle Box clearing opponent board and pyroblasting their opponent and stuff.

I am not saying that Discover mechanics are Strong per se as sure they can backfire and give you total trash, but for a “strategy” card game, You cannot have “strategy” if their is too much RNG.

Zephyrs at least requires a certain amount of strategy to pull off, So you can not run duplicates, Personally I think that Zephyrs should be limited to your hand and deck, No Duplication in your hand OR deck so you want to discover that 2nd Hex, or copy of any second card in your deck then thats your risk of running a discover card.

Seems no point in having a restriction on a card when that restriction can be easily circumvented.

The very reason disovers are played is to be harder to run out of ressources. If you consider he is out when he didn’t play all his discover yet, you just failed to see this possibility. (it’s not like mass dispel is the only spell he could have to get rid of 2 taunts)

You know lots of player love the randomness of some cards, right ?
You know discover is one of the most liked mecanic in the game, right ?
It’s not “Blizzarf loves it”, it’s “lots of player loves it”

1 Like

I understand that some randomness is nice but there can be too much randomness which then creates chaos. You said that you cannot play around discover and then you say that I didnt see he played all his discover cards?
I mean I loved play Yogg-saron when he was current in standard it was fun to see what he done but there was less random effects then compared to what there is now, Nearly every turn can be an RNG turn now.

How would you know all his discover cards are gone when discover cards when you do not know if they play 1 or 2 copies?

Also regarding finding mass dispel, It was a Khartut Defender and a 5/7 demon wiht taunt so tell me 1 card he could discover which would have gotten through both of them ?

People like Discover because it allows them a way to circumvent the rules of your deck which is usually no more than 2 copies of a card or 1 legendary but discover cards are not included in this so you can easily get another mass resurrect or another 2/6 or some other really high value card from it.

Once you played enough game, you will recognize all that are part of HS.

Some quit, Those whom stayed, learnt to adapt by moving on to the next game, and focusing on our own deck strength and skill sets.

Good Luck Have Fun

Not only devs, but also a large part of the community, even you to some extend, because otherwise you could leave HS for other less random card games like Runeterra, but you don’t… that’s speaks for themself.

1 Like

That is because I have played HS since Beta and I do not wish to have to go and relearn a whole new set of cards in another game, I hope that someone at Blizz can use their brains and just roll back on some of the RNG effects in the game currently, It was a much better game when there was “some” RNG but not the high roll fest it currently is.

What was his board ? Because shadow madness would have helped him too. Maybe be enough if he had enough damage.

I agree that overall there’s more rng, but it’s more controlled : “Discover a card” is less random than “add a random card to your hand”, after all.

1 Like

He had 1 minion (cant remember what it exactly was now) and 3 cards in hand , Not sure what the other 2 were but I had played Elysiana so I wasnt running out of cards anytime soon.

I know I took into account his minions attack which was not high enough to get through the 5 /7 alone and the Khartut Defender would have rebirthed itself so required 2 attacks to get through and if he killed the defender I would have gone to 6 HP and his minions attack wasnt high enough to kill me from that.

So Mass dispel was the ONLY answer he could have gotten from the discover, I assume that the other cards he was holding were probably holy nova, or some other card which wasnt very useful at the time.

Yes Discover a card is from your own class pool of cards and as we all know that some classes have access to some pretty broken cards (Not mass dispel as this just happened to be his only answer), I just think that Discover a card needs looking at or the possible options it can give, It just feels really cheap when you lose to a card that did not exist in the opponents deck admitted it,s a card which is available to his class.

the weird thing is I knew what he was gonna get as soon as I saw the Renew being played I said to myself i bet he gets Mass Dispel and he did, Maybe this game just came down it was my fate to lose and thats that.

When should it be? People said ´this since the beginning of the game to every release of new set… RNG was always part of the game and discover was loved by the comm, so the devs add new things to the game, it’s just natural.

Just leave the game, if it is too much for you, because there are better alternatives for your taste. Btw the new class demon hunter should be good for you, because this class don’t relies on RNG like the other classes.

Here’s a -card combo that would have killed you :
shadow madness on your Karthut + the new +2/+6 spell on Karthut + Holy smite on your 5/7 and trade with Kartut.

It’s not just a card available to his class : in your case it’s a spell, in some other, a minion, other a choose one card, ect…
Some discover have even more restriction, wich makes them less random. Discover is one of the mecanic that bring the biggest amount of control to the rng

Yes thats true, He had used 2 x holy smite already and that combo would have required him to have apotheosis in hand (I think tahst what it,s called) but he already played 2 of those so unless his discover triggered twice, I did ask for 1 card not a 3 card combo.

After all he only had 3 cards in hand and 1 of those was renew so it was HIGHLY unlikely he would have had Shadow Madness and Apotheosis.

I was thinking of another card (power word infusion, or something like that) but yeah, apotheosis works too.

You said mass dispell was the ONLY card that could allow him to finish you, my answer is that maybe he had other options using the cards he had in hand.

A few 2-card combo example :
shadow madness + silence
shadow madness + power word death
double renew to double silence
Those are unlikely (more than getting a mass dispell on a discover) but they are still possibilities

This is just the type of game where you should never feel safe, particularly when you’re on 3 health.

In fact, just before creating this post, I was dominating a Hunter, who was on 2 health with just one card in his hand, whilst I’m on 28 health with 8 cards in hand, and a 8-8 taunt with divine shield. The card he has left is Dragonqueen, which gives him Nozari and heal to full. Next turn he uses the second dragon he got, which is emerald explorer, which he uses to discover primordial explorer, which he uses to discover rotnest drake.

I ended up losing, but it’s part of the game- you should never feel comfortable, and always prepare for the worst case scenario. Above all, never give your opponent the premature ‘well played’. From experience, that tends to karmatically bite you in the rear end.

1 Like

Indeed, some people would like it to be more about strategy. But then you go ahead and say this:

Okay. Why did you then make this thread? Just to complain? I don’t get it.

1 Like

It was just to vent about losing to a “Discover” mechanic as i had been up since 1am coz of my child and so i was tired and super salty lol

But yes as the previous poster said being on 3 hp i could have almost died to anything so it wasnt too unlikely he would find an answer somewhere with a Discover mechanic or even a lacky or something might have helped him.

I do stick by my statement that their is too much RNG atm in HS but a small amount is nice so a small rollback in the RNG would be good.

And I stick to my statement that I think more custom game modes where people could make exactly that happen (or the opposite) would be awesome.

1 Like

Short answer: same way you play around cards that generate random cards, or cards that are just in the deck. Know how many discover cards they are likely to run, track how many they played and which cards in their hand are unlikely to be one, and know the card pool available.

You were at 3 HP. Your opponent found the exact card they needed. You lost. You feel it’s unfair. My response is: learn to understand win conditions.
Note that if your opponent had not found the perfect answer, then it’s likely that they had been the one posting here. “I had my opponent at 3HP and enough damage, but they kept playing taunts and I could not finish them off”. And I would have told your opponent the same: learn to understand win conditions.

Getting someone to 3HP is almost a sure win in SOME matchups. Not in all. And there’s nothing wrong with playing a deck that can go to 3HP and then still stabilize and win.
But you do need to be aware that 3HP is very close to the edge. In a game that is designed to mixture skill with high RNG influence, you are never safe at such low health.

So the other answer to your “how to play around …” question would be:
Don’t drop to 3 HP.

Once you are at 3 HP, you are surviving on luck. No matter how much skill you have, no matter how well you tracked your opponent’s cards, you are surviving on luck.

2 Likes